5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Added wireless Qi charging for $30

Chopperbobby

Reaction score
When I hook up my wireless charging cradle to my media hub up front, it will charge for 5 seconds, then stop charging for 3 seconds. And it will continue this pattern. I made sure my wireless charging cradle wasn't malfunctioning by plugging it into the USB port inside the console. It works perfectly fine there. I also bought a cigarette lighter USB charger and it works great on that as well.

When I took it to the dealer, they claimed they couldn't recreate the issue. I went back up there to show them what the issue was. They then claimed that my wireless charger was malfunctioning because I was plugging it into one of the 4 ports up front, which are meant for data. They said they ran a check on all 4 ports up front and they came out working fine. At that point, I just went and picked up my truck because they had it all day.

The issue still persists though. And I call ********. I don't know how the data portion of the USB hub would interfere with a wireless charger. Am I being dense? Or should I take it to another dealer to check?
Mine stays steady. So don’t know

Rau

Reaction score

TheLegend

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I made my own works really well charges pretty much any phone but I already have CarPlay through BT so need for that but this is my wireless charger set up. Used double sided velcro to attach and tucked my 9” cable in the right side it’s hardly noticeable. Links below to charger and cable I used.

NANAMI Wireless Charger, Qi Certified 15W Max Fast Charging Pad with QC3.0 Adapter USB Phone Charger for iPhone 14/13/13 Pro/12/11/XS Max/XR/X/8,Samsung Galaxy S23/S22/S21/S20/S10/Note 20, Airpods Pro https://a.co/d/5wFYwvN

CERRXIAN 9 inch Gold Plated USB Left & Right Angle 3.0 Type C Male to Left Angle USB Type A 2.0 Male Fast Charge and Data Sync Cable L https://a.co/d/fXgsJlr

Attachments

• 36BAC4EC-C288-4A89-8E42-80CCC3CE1A27.jpeg
    36BAC4EC-C288-4A89-8E42-80CCC3CE1A27.jpeg
    132 KB · Views: 69
  • E2893253-2FD5-4F96-83F6-DBA33F433542.jpeg
    E2893253-2FD5-4F96-83F6-DBA33F433542.jpeg
    134.2 KB · Views: 69
  • 5E0847BF-67E5-4F01-AC68-A46BA471AE7E.jpeg
    5E0847BF-67E5-4F01-AC68-A46BA471AE7E.jpeg
    145.4 KB · Views: 69

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
I made my own works really well charges pretty much any phone but I already have CarPlay through BT so need for that but this is my wireless charger set up. Used double sided velcro to attach and tucked my 9” cable in the right side it’s hardly noticeable. Links below to charger and cable I used.

NANAMI Wireless Charger, Qi Certified 15W Max Fast Charging Pad with QC3.0 Adapter USB Phone Charger for iPhone 14/13/13 Pro/12/11/XS Max/XR/X/8,Samsung Galaxy S23/S22/S21/S20/S10/Note 20, Airpods Pro https://a.co/d/5wFYwvN

CERRXIAN 9 inch Gold Plated USB Left & Right Angle 3.0 Type C Male to Left Angle USB Type A 2.0 Male Fast Charge and Data Sync Cable L https://a.co/d/fXgsJlr
Hey buddy. I got the NANAMI charger too. Finally tested on 2 hour trip. My iPhone showed it was charging the whole time, but the battery level never increased. It’s setup pretty much the same as yours, but used the included cable. I’m thinking of exchanging it.

Would you mind telling me what kind of phone you have? I may try a different power brick just to see. Really has me scratching my head.

Thanks for the help

TheLegend

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hey buddy. I got the NANAMI charger too. Finally tested on 2 hour trip. My iPhone showed it was charging the whole time, but the battery level never increased. It’s setup pretty much the same as yours, but used the included cable. I’m thinking of exchanging it.

Would you mind telling me what kind of phone you have? I may try a different power brick just to see. Really has me scratching my head.

Thanks for the help
Hmm that’s weird I have an iPhone and mine works well I use it all the time while playing Spotify or maps and it still charges well. I will say it’s not a fast at charging as a actual cable (when it’s playing music ect..) but when it’s not playing stuff it charges just as fast as the other options.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Hmm that’s weird I have an iPhone and mine works well I use it all the time while playing Spotify or maps and it still charges well. I will say it’s not a fast at charging as a actual cable (when it’s playing music ect..) but when it’s not playing stuff it charges just as fast as the other options.
Thanks for the reply. It definitely won’t be as fast as a wired charge. If yours works good mine should too. I’ve enabled the battery percentage indicator on my phone. Going to run some more tests to see what it does. Thanks again

Last edited:

TheLegend

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. It definitely won’t be as fast as a wired charge. If yours works good mine should too. I’ve enabled the battery percentage indicator on my phone. Going to run some more tests to see what it does. Thanks again
Of course I also noticed you phone case can’t be thick either it has to be pretty thin my personal phone would work but the case on my work phone “would act like it was charging” but it actually wouldn’t charge.

Chopperbobby

Reaction score
Do you have a link to this charger? Is it a magsafe charger? Reason I ask is because it looks like you have an otterbox case like me. Thanks.
I switched it out too small hard to hit the sweet spot. Got this in place. Light is a little annoying I painted it black over the light. There ar many new options on Amazon. This one is big and easy to hit it.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Of course I also noticed you phone case can’t be thick either it has to be pretty thin my personal phone would work but the case on my work phone “would act like it was charging” but it actually wouldn’t charge.
Good point. I did some more testing. Moved the charging pad up a little in the ram phone cradle. Seems the sweet spot is in the middle of the phone. May have been too low. It was 78% when I left work, and 85% thirty minutes later. To test longevity, as soon as I got home I plugged it into the outlet and continued to charge for another hour. It was 96%. So maybe placement is key, especially when the case isn’t too thin.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Just to update my issue. I bought a MagSafe case to use with my qi charger. Seems to work better. Guess the otterbox was a little too thick and not flat.
IMG_4410.jpeg IMG_4409.jpeg

seansmd

Reaction score
My setup, magnetic wireless charger dressed down the right of the screen to fast charging wall wort. Actually charges while running AA and other things. I like having it up at eye level.

Attachments

• IMG_20230624_092508.jpg
    IMG_20230624_092508.jpg
    161.2 KB · Views: 22

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Anyone ever put a MagSafe charger in this spot?

Users who are viewing this thread