5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Added wireless Qi charging for $30

AnthonyD1978

Reaction score
So the mopar kit is $250 and requires coding from the dealer. Not to mention taking the console apart. Something that I wanted to avoid if at all possible.

Picked up a quick charging capable Qi charger for $30 at Target instead. Pictures speak for themselves, but a few notes:

- USB ports on truck will not allow quick charging. Only normal charging. I did not test the USB type C ports though.

- My setup allows quick charging and if I later need to use the “wall outlet” it takes 5 second to run the USB cable up through the center arm rest compartment USB port. Do this by running the USB end up through the gap in the arm rest hinge.

- I used thick double sided tap to space the charger off the floor of the coin holder compartment. Also used some to create a level floor for the coin liner.

- I also used some double sided tap where I drilled the hole to protect the cable from chafing.

- let me know if you have any questions.

EDIT: v2 ideas: I may adjust the positioning so that the phone sits in the upper left hand corner of the bin (closer to the steering wheel). This will help keep it from shifting around while driving. I may also do some sort of phone holder magnet under the bin liner.

E407FE66-EA59-4C89-823C-193C13B53AF7.jpeg 911300F7-61F8-4EFD-B3ED-817363B91079.jpeg 61152FC1-DA82-4315-A514-C6731805ECF8.jpeg 150FBE3E-F9DF-4E66-88D1-4CFAF4C25EAE.jpeg

Last edited:

djeazie

Reaction score
Looks nice. So even through the bin and with a case on the phone it still charges?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Lil Miss Always Wrong

Reaction score
Nice job! I went about it a little differently, used an old nexus wireless charger, gorilla sticky taped the tray and drilled my hole in that : ) 20190106_170219.jpg 20190106_170229.jpg

AnthonyD1978

Reaction score
Looks nice. So even through the bin and with a case on the phone it still charges?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Correct, still charges through the bin liner and phone case. That's why I removed the charger from it's housing to minimize thickness.

I may adjust the positioning so that the phone sits in the upper left hand corner of the bin (closer to the steering wheel). This will help keep it from shifting around while driving. I may also do some sort of phone holder magnet under the bin liner.

Yedi

Reaction score
So the mopar kit is $250 and requires coding from the dealer. Not to mention taking the console apart. Something that I wanted to avoid if at all possible.

Picked up a quick charging capable Qi charger for $30 at Target instead. Pictures speak for themselves, but a few notes:

- USB ports on truck will not allow quick charging. Only normal charging. I did not test the USB type C ports though.

- My setup allows quick charging and if I later need to use the “wall outlet” it takes 5 second to run the USB cable up through the center arm rest compartment USB port. Do this by running the USB end up through the gap in the arm rest hinge.

- I used thick double sided tap to space the charger off the floor of the coin holder compartment. Also used some to create a level floor for the coin liner.

- I also used some double sided tap where I drilled the hole to protect the cable from chafing.

View attachment 12904 View attachment 12905 View attachment 12906 View attachment 12907

awesome idea. Im new to the whole wireless charging. Does having a phone case on affect charging? I also have a thin metal plate on the back of my phone for my other vehicles that I have a magnetic phone mount.

great work, and thanks for the idea and pictures!

TrackDay

Reaction score
Stupid question..does it just charge or connect the phone to the CarPlay?
This is my issue with doing wireless charging in the new truck. Without a USB hookup, Android Auto or Car Play doesn't work I think. I need that hookup to do voice to text messages now, as well as get full screen nav, etc.

Lil Miss Always Wrong

Reaction score
not a dumb q AT ALL- it does NOT connect to CAR PLAY, ONLY wireless charges... I made a video of how i use two separate hookups to get both ....

or this one- fast forward to 4:22 : )

Last edited:

AnthonyD1978

Reaction score

Just charge. You do still have bluetooth connection to the truck while charging, but for carplay you need USB.

I really only "need" carplay when I'm using navigation and that is not often since I've lived in this area for 20 years. I just throw my phone in the coin bin and it charges, when I need carplay I just plug in the USB. So 90% of the time it saves me time. The other 10% of the time (using USB) is the same work involved as before.

Last edited:

AnthonyD1978

Reaction score
awesome idea. Im new to the whole wireless charging. Does having a phone case on affect charging? I also have a thin metal plate on the back of my phone for my other vehicles that I have a magnetic phone mount.

great work, and thanks for the idea and pictures!

It depends on how thick the case is. Most cases it won't be an issue. A thin metal plate might cause an issue; though I may add a thin metal plate inside my phone case and a magnet under the bin liner. This will keep the phone from moving off the charging pad. The metal plate will have to be off center of the phone so not to interfere with the charging pad.

Last edited:

freerider969

Reaction score

EDIT: v2 ideas: I may adjust the positioning so that the phone sits in the upper left hand corner of the bin (closer to the steering wheel). This will help keep it from shifting around while driving. I may also do some sort of phone holder magnet under the bin liner.

View attachment 12904 View attachment 12905 View attachment 12906 View attachment 12907
Very creative and it looks very clean, nice work!

AnthonyD1978

Reaction score
Just to update. I ended up moving the charging plate off center to help keep the phone from shifting. I moved it to the corner closest to the steering wheel. It's not pushed into the actual corner though since you need it to be centered under the phone.

I also went to Lowes and got some very thin foam door insulation to make a little border in the coin holder around my phone. This keeps it from shifting. It's perfect now.

If I remember I'll grab some pics of the updates.

tobyw

Reaction score
Interesting thread...

I wonder if a guy could mount one of those universal pad units behind the factory panel, essentially just like the MOPAR setup?

Damion

Reaction score
I was thinking about the same thing. Tried doing that in my 16 but the phone holder was too think for the wireless charge to pass through

cjh0702

Reaction score
When I hook up my wireless charging cradle to my media hub up front, it will charge for 5 seconds, then stop charging for 3 seconds. And it will continue this pattern. I made sure my wireless charging cradle wasn't malfunctioning by plugging it into the USB port inside the console. It works perfectly fine there. I also bought a cigarette lighter USB charger and it works great on that as well.

When I took it to the dealer, they claimed they couldn't recreate the issue. I went back up there to show them what the issue was. They then claimed that my wireless charger was malfunctioning because I was plugging it into one of the 4 ports up front, which are meant for data. They said they ran a check on all 4 ports up front and they came out working fine. At that point, I just went and picked up my truck because they had it all day.

The issue still persists though. And I call ********. I don't know how the data portion of the USB hub would interfere with a wireless charger. Am I being dense? Or should I take it to another dealer to check?

cjh0702

Reaction score
For a while I had my phone on a vent cradle and used CarPlay (via my charger and the front USB port). I was not a fan of the cord dangling in front of my uConnect screen and radio/HVAC controls. Then I found out about the Car2Play and I loved the idea of going wireless, so I bought it. It works as advertised, so I was able to use CarPlay without using hardwire connection. But I had to find a solution to charge my phone. I found a wireless cradle that I loved using, but it needed a charger as well.

I tried using the cigarette lighter charger on the top portion of the dash, but the cord still moved a lot, and it wasn't aesthetically pleasing. So I decided to route the charger behind the uConnect system and into the front port for a cleaner look. My front USB ports didn't work well with my wireless charger (still fighting with the dealer on that, see post #16) but I noticed that it worked perfectly fine with the charger inside the armrest. So I found a charger that was 10 ft long, routed the cord under the rear console, then under the center console up to the uConnect system. I then used a box cutter to make a hole in the upper tray of the dash and fed the cord through to connect to my wireless charger.

I really like the finished product. It lets me charge my phone, keep it in view hands free, and use CarPlay wirelessly. It only required a small mod to the top tray of the dash that is easily concealed, and there aren't wires everywhere to get on my nerves :p.

Attachments

• IMG_0944 copy.jpg
    IMG_0944 copy.jpg
    151.6 KB · Views: 241
  • IMG_0945 copy.jpg
    IMG_0945 copy.jpg
    177.5 KB · Views: 237
Reaction score
For a while I had my phone on a vent cradle and used CarPlay (via my charger and the front USB port). I was not a fan of the cord dangling in front of my uConnect screen and radio/HVAC controls. Then I found out about the Car2Play and I loved the idea of going wireless, so I bought it. It works as advertised, so I was able to use CarPlay without using hardwire connection. But I had to find a solution to charge my phone. I found a wireless cradle that I loved using, but it needed a charger as well.

I tried using the cigarette lighter charger on the top portion of the dash, but the cord still moved a lot, and it wasn't aesthetically pleasing. So I decided to route the charger behind the uConnect system and into the front port for a cleaner look. My front USB ports didn't work well with my wireless charger (still fighting with the dealer on that, see post #16) but I noticed that it worked perfectly fine with the charger inside the armrest. So I found a charger that was 10 ft long, routed the cord under the rear console, then under the center console up to the uConnect system. I then used a box cutter to make a hole in the upper tray of the dash and fed the cord through to connect to my wireless charger.

I really like the finished product. It lets me charge my phone, keep it in view hands free, and use CarPlay wirelessly. It only required a small mod to the top tray of the dash that is easily concealed, and there aren't wires everywhere to get on my nerves :p.
Do you know if that USB port inside the arm rest is always on or is it dependent on ON/RUN or ACC?

Nukegm426

Reaction score
When I hook up my wireless charging cradle to my media hub up front, it will charge for 5 seconds, then stop charging for 3 seconds. And it will continue this pattern. I made sure my wireless charging cradle wasn't malfunctioning by plugging it into the USB port inside the console. It works perfectly fine there. I also bought a cigarette lighter USB charger and it works great on that as well.

When I took it to the dealer, they claimed they couldn't recreate the issue. I went back up there to show them what the issue was. They then claimed that my wireless charger was malfunctioning because I was plugging it into one of the 4 ports up front, which are meant for data. They said they ran a check on all 4 ports up front and they came out working fine. At that point, I just went and picked up my truck because they had it all day.

The issue still persists though. And I call ********. I don't know how the data portion of the USB hub would interfere with a wireless charger. Am I being dense? Or should I take it to another dealer to check?
So just FYI when they test the usb they just plug their own personal phone charging cord into it and see if it charges... ive seen it done and just shook my head.

Users who are viewing this thread