5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Added some reverse lights today

Rmazzei

Reaction score
general question. i wires reverse lights using the 7 pin adapter and when in reverse (Led lights on) radio signal is dramatically worse. once I am out of reverse and lights are off radio static is gone. Any ideas?

John Jensen

Reaction score
general question. i wires reverse lights using the 7 pin adapter and when in reverse (Led lights on) radio signal is dramatically worse. once I am out of reverse and lights are off radio static is gone. Any ideas?
Sometimes it's a ground fault. Try changing your LED's ground from the 7-pin adapter harness to grounding your LEDs to the truck metal or frame.

5thgenalamode

Reaction score
I haven’t had that issue. Make sure you have a good ground. I ground my lights to a bumper bolt, and prepped the area well for a proper ground.

WildWildWest

Reaction score
Parts list

MICTUNING Flush Mount Led Pods, 2Pcs 20W Flood Cree Led MICTUNING Flush Mount Led Pods,... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B078WNM3K9?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

7 pin t harness, I used this one CURT 56584 Replacement... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007EA6WQU?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

5way trailer side wire harness, I just used this and cut it for my needs CURT 58550 Vehicle-Side and... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001EOV2X0?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Waterproof heat shrink tubing

Solder if soldering the wires or butt connectors

Wire harness tape

Zip ties

Ring terminal for ground wire.

External tooth lock washer for ground.

This is awesome and looks great!! I understand they are getting their power from the trailer light harness, how are they told to turn on? Sorry if an amateur question! Lol

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
This is awesome and looks great!! I understand they are getting their power from the trailer light harness, how are they told to turn on? Sorry if an amateur question! Lol
FYI

Lpsouth1978

Reaction score
The install went well. You will notice that I have some additional (Larger) lights also, but those are on a switch in the cab. I use those for camping, working in the backyard, or other projects after dark, etc. I wanted to do this install so the lights are automatically turned on for backing. I really like having both sets, and the larger lights can be turned on without the truck running if needed.

20220930_150011.jpg 20220930_150016.jpg 20220930_150212.jpg 20220930_150242.jpg

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
The install went well. You will notice that I have some additional (Larger) lights also, but those are on a switch in the cab. I use those for camping, working in the backyard, or other projects after dark, etc. I wanted to do this install so the lights are automatically turned on for backing. I really like having both sets, and the larger lights can be turned on without the truck running if needed.

View attachment 142408 View attachment 142409 View attachment 142410 View attachment 142411
Wow nice! So behind the bumper you install the 7 pin T harness, and plug the 5way trailer side into it and wire the lights to this?

Lpsouth1978

Reaction score
Yup. Super easy. I just cut off all of the un-needed wires from the 5 way harness, zip tied the wires up and out of the way, and done. The most difficult part was removing the little plastic pieces from the truck to cut the holes out. It wasn't hard, but there isn't much room to get a socket on the bolt by the exhaust. It is easiest to remove the spare tire and move the exhaust tips out of the way.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Yup. Super easy. I just cut off all of the un-needed wires from the 5 way harness, zip tied the wires up and out of the way, and done. The most difficult part was removing the little plastic pieces from the truck to cut the holes out. It wasn't hard, but there isn't much room to get a socket on the bolt by the exhaust. It is easiest to remove the spare tire and move the exhaust tips out of the way.
Sweet. Thanks! No relay needed?

Last edited:

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
I was wondering if you could install the 5way trailer side wire harness in line in the back of the bumper, or does this connector just come from the 7 way harness? Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread