5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Added oem power running boards. Uconnect app not installed?

Zrxpilot

Reaction score
Just had oem power running boards installed at the dealer. They work fine ( extend when opening the door and retract when closing the door), however the app to keep them extended/disable is non existent. Called the dealer and the service mgr just said to bring it back. Looking to avoid this headache if possible as its another day off from work.

I read somewhere that some had a to wait a couple days and it magically just showed up. Or maybe just use alpha obd to enable them?

moparleo51

Reaction score
had mine installed at the dealer , and i believe it took a day for it to show up in the uconnect.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Can enable them via Alfaobd.
And yes it can take up to 24 hours for things to show up.

It is the stealerships job is to enable them if you had them installed at the dealer.

Zrxpilot

Reaction score
Thank you. Attempted to use my alpha obd to activate and even that gave a message it would take 24 hrs to activate. Well see.

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Thank you. Attempted to use my alpha obd to activate and even that gave a message it would take 24 hrs to activate. Well see.
Reboot the radio two times in a row by pressing and holding the power button until the radio shuts down.

Zrxpilot

Reaction score
Issue believed concluded with a trip back to the dealer for what I presume was a flash. I now have the fully functioning app controlling manual deployment/retract/ auto/storage modes. App was installed and functioning by the time I left the dealer parking lot.

Had what I thought was a bug. After activating the manual deployment/retract functions in the controls tab, the normal auto function quit working. Ie, I could get them to go in and out pushing a button but the auto mode didnt work after playing with it.

Took it back and spoke with the tech for awhile. Got it to work triggering the following conclusion: After activating the deploy/retract functions, it stays in manual mode allowing only deploy/retract until the truck is shut off and the keys for the vehicle are removed allowing the uconnect to sleep. (his words, not mine). When the uconnect awakens again on a normal start it reverts back to the default state allowing auto/stow mode.

Tried the exercise a couple times with success.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Took it back and spoke with the tech for awhile. Got it to work triggering the following conclusion: After activating the deploy/retract functions, it stays in manual mode allowing only deploy/retract until the truck is shut off and the keys for the vehicle are removed allowing the uconnect to sleep. (his words, not mine). When the uconnect awakens again on a normal start it reverts back to the default state allowing auto/stow mode.
Hitting the manual deploy\retract has nothing to do with the other setting.
There is a uConnection setting for "auto" or "store" when it's set to auto it opens and closes with doors. When set to store it stays closed.
I can deploy and retract my steps with the button and it stays in auto.

When you set it to store. The steps stay in until you change it back to auto. That would just be stupid if it changed back. You are suppose to put it in store when it's snowing and icing up where you think it might be damaged if it deployed, it would make no sense if it resets after you turn off your truck.

But either way glad it's fixed for you.

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Hitting the manual deploy\retract has nothing to do with the other setting.
There is a uConnection setting for "auto" or "store" when it's set to auto it opens and closes with doors. When set to store it stays closed.
I can deploy and retract my steps with the button and it stays in auto.

When you set it to store. The steps stay in until you change it back to auto. That would just be stupid if it changed back. You are suppose to put it in store when it's snowing and icing up where you think it might be damaged if it deployed, it would make no sense if it resets after you turn off your truck.

But either way glad it's fixed for you.

I think he's talking about the "retract step/deploy step" button on the "controls" page at 1:26 on this video. I use that button when I wash my running boards and if I remember correctly, they function as he described.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I think he's talking about the "retract step/deploy step" button on the "controls" page at 1:26 on this video. I use that button when I wash my running boards and if I remember correctly, they function as he described.

He has a 2022 which is uConnect 5 not 4.

There is a button on the vehicle page that says deploy step. When you deploy them the button goes grey and they stay out. When you hit it again they go in.

Auto-Store is a different menu which does NOT reset by itself.

Idahoktm

Reaction score
He has a 2022 which is uConnect 5 not 4.

There is a button on the vehicle page that says deploy step. When you deploy them the button goes grey and they stay out. When you hit it again they go in.

Auto-Store is a different menu which does NOT reset by itself.

Yep, you just confirmed what I said and it sounds like both versions of UConnect are very similar for the power steps.

Idahoktm

Reaction score
I noticed something about the Ram power running boards that I hadn't seen before.

20230208_122827.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online