5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Added oem led headlights

Shives

Reaction score
Are any harnesses needed to install mid line LED oem lights to a halogen 1500? Or just the Alfaobd tool?
Thanks. Sorry to ask.. looking at upgrading. Tho, I hear the light output is not great, tho they look great. Lol

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Are any harnesses needed to install mid line LED oem lights to a halogen 1500? Or just the Alfaobd tool?
Thanks. Sorry to ask.. looking at upgrading. Tho, I hear the light output is not great, tho they look great. Lol
If you want to use AlfaOBD to enable them so they work exactly like factory, you’ll have to build a custom harness that goes from a 12-pin connector to a 16-pin connector. Two wires get added from the BCM.

Shives

Reaction score
Sweet! That sounds right up my ally! I’m more then happy to purchase the pins and parts, I’ve got plenty of wire (about 35 rolls different colors) crimping tools and more! Just need to figure out what connectors and pins. If anyone wants to do that, I’m happy to make the harnesses.

Finn5033

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Shives, the light output on the mid level OEM LED lights is awesome. It’s actually crazy how much brighter they are than the Halogens. Retroshop sells a plug and play harness for installing these. But they do still come with a fuse tap that you need to get the led halo’s to be on when the lights aren’t on.

Finn5033

Ram Guru
Reaction score
No fuse tap necessary. Not even for the 1500s.
Then why does Retroshops plug and play harness kit for the OEM led headlights come with a fuse tap that you have to use to get the halos to be on when the lights aren’t on?

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Then why does Retroshops plug and play harness kit for the OEM led headlights come with a fuse tap that you have to use to get the halos to be on when the lights aren’t on?
That’s if you’re not using AlfaOBD to enable them like they’re supposed to be. All you need is ~$20 in parts to build the 12 to 16 way adapters, and you add the two wires to the BCM the way they should be, rather than fuse taps and resistors. These guys already have AlfaOBD, so it will be far cheaper, and cleaner, than using the retroshop kit.

eproulx38

Reaction score
That’s if you’re not using AlfaOBD to enable them like they’re supposed to be. All you need is ~$20 in parts to build the 12 to 16 way adapters, and you add the two wires to the BCM the way they should be, rather than fuse taps and resistors. These guys already have AlfaOBD, so it will be far cheaper, and cleaner, than using the retroshop kit.
Not ready to do this mod quite yet, but for planning...do you also make these adapters Jimmy? I already used your passive entry adapters and they worked out great!

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Not ready to do this mod quite yet, but for planning...do you also make these adapters Jimmy? I already used your passive entry adapters and they worked out great!
I can. Just let me know when you decide to do this.

Renegade3

Reaction score
I added the OEM LED's a few months ago and used the retroshop harness and fuse tap. Everything works great! I also added the OEM LED fogs which completed the look.

Finn5033

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I added the OEM LED's a few months ago and used the retroshop harness and fuse tap. Everything works great! I also added the OEM LED fogs which completed the look.
Did you get the OEM LED kit from infotainment? If not where did you get it?

Shives

Reaction score
Has anyone ram into code b162a?
drivers low beam is not working.

Attachments

• E8BFB50E-57D3-4E00-849D-86FD5A23DFB7.jpeg
    E8BFB50E-57D3-4E00-849D-86FD5A23DFB7.jpeg
    140.9 KB · Views: 20

GNJimmy

Reaction score
Hey Jimmy07, I had the same problem as the poster here. Your advice was perfect except for one thing on my 2019 2500 Bighorn. I changed "CBC Config I/O Usage front park/signature lamp left pin A7" to YES and my left led DRL works great. But my AlfaOBD doesn't show the "2014 CBC Config I/O & Feat. Front park/signature lamp right pin A5". There really aren't that many "2014 CBC ..." to choose from. So I looked for one calling out pin A5, and it says it's for bed lighting. Should I try that one? Or do you have any other suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Hey Jimmy07, I had the same problem as the poster here. Your advice was perfect except for one thing on my 2019 2500 Bighorn. I changed "CBC Config I/O Usage front park/signature lamp left pin A7" to YES and my left led DRL works great. But my AlfaOBD doesn't show the "2014 CBC Config I/O & Feat. Front park/signature lamp right pin A5". There really aren't that many "2014 CBC ..." to choose from. So I looked for one calling out pin A5, and it says it's for bed lighting. Should I try that one? Or do you have any other suggestions? Thanks in advance.
Yes. The bed lighting setting will be the one.

MannyN

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So, now I have a problem. My front left signature light does not come on with the ignition. Right one works fine,
I set my "CBC Config I/O Usage front park/signature lamp left pin A7" to YES" and it does not come. It does however comes on when the head lights are on. Everything works just fine.
Here is the link.

Last edited:

MannyN

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Never mind, all working as intended. Screwed up on the wiring.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online