5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Adaptive Cruise Control.....Yay or Nay?

Drew_2020

Reaction score
Some people really like it. I have it but never use it. Maybe there is an adjustment, but on the interstate, if a slower vehicle pull over into your lane, it almost slams on the brakes, and then accelerates hard once the lane is opened back up. Too jerky for me. Also, I live the DFW area, so people drive like they in the Daytona 500 down here. So, nah, I'll just rely on my brake, accelerator and foot. But hey, you may love it!
I live in Fort Worth and Yeah adaptive cruise is not for this area!

Coog61

Reaction score
I use it almost every trip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FirstTimeRamDriver

Reaction score
Why are people sometimes using regular cruise?

On an empty highway, adaptive cruise acts just like regular cruise.

On a crowded highway, you can’t really use regular cruise since it will disable itself constantly when you use the brake to slow down.

What am I missing?

As far as I am concerned, the regular cruise control is a complete useless feature. In fact once I turned it on by mistake and I thought I was on ACC. It was rather interesting when the 18 wheeler before me was slowing down and I didn’t

Trippi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
As far as I am concerned, the regular cruise control is a complete useless feature. In fact once I turned it on by mistake and I thought I was on ACC. It was rather interesting when the 18 wheeler before me was slowing down and I didn’t
I think they are useful for different reasons. Cruise control in it's inception I imagine was to assist with a constant speed (avoid a speeding ticket) and probably reduce fatigue of being on the gas pedal for long trips. Throw in ACC and to your point it is used/relied upon to reduce the need to manually adjust for changes in speed around you while in the cruise mode (for reasons above). Both are useful depending on what you are looking for.

Bigtone

Reaction score
I drive from Pa to Florida a few times a year. I use regular cruise to give my foot a break. I don’t mind pushing the up/ down buttons to adjust my speed. If there is a lot of traffic, I would rather not use cruise at all. As someone mentioned, in heavy traffic like I95 usually is, ACC seems to be a nuisance. Everyone is different.

dannymcd

Reaction score
So I traded in a Volvo S90 that had adaptive cruise and autopilot, the autopilot makes you a very good driver when its on and a very bad driver when it's off. The Adaptive cruise is how cruise control was meant to be. When you're driving in traffic it's a life saver it just trolls along at the rate of the car infant of you no playing with it, no turning it off and getting stressed out about constantly pressing the brake and gas, it does all that for you. For me, its #1 on the option list after the drivetrain stuff.

Le_Slacker

Ram Guru
Reaction score
When I bought my Ram, I overlooked that feature. It came with it, but I was so used to just normal cruise that I didn’t pay any attention to it

Since I’ve bought my ram, I use it a ton. Never used the normal cruise.

Works in rain, and in that watery mess transports cause behind them. Has worked in snow. And is a lot of fun when you follow someone through a roundabout ;)

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Driving assistance devices aren't intended to replace common sense. I remember when cruise control was a luxury that a lot of cars didn't come with. Now it's a standard feature that pretty much every car has. But it has it's limitations, and was never intended to replace the driver. Thankfully this is still a free country, and we can make our own decisions about which cruise control, if any, we want to use.

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Driving assistance devices aren't intended to replace common sense. I remember when cruise control was a luxury that a lot of cars didn't come with. Now it's a standard feature that pretty much every car has. But it has it's limitations, and was never intended to replace the driver. Thankfully this is still a free country, and we can make our own decisions about which cruise control, if any, we want to use.
That makes me feel really old. I remember when cruise control, intermittent wipers, and power windows were options for higher trim levels.

Long gone are the days where you had to walk around and unlock all the doors or pull over if you needed to roll up your windows if it started raining.

I also remember when the high beam switch was a button on the floor that you pushed with your left foot. ;)

Last edited:

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
I'm considering ordering adaptive cruise control for a new Laramie. Does it work well? Any issues to be aware of?

Thanks.
Not yeah, but heck yeah.
Best feature in my truck. Love it, and works as good as my MB did (actually better).

Le_Slacker

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That makes me feel really old. I remember when cruise control, intermittent wipers, and power windows were options for higher trim levels.

Long gone are the days where you had to walk around and unlock all the doors or pull over if you needed to roll up your windows if it started raining.

I also remember when the high beam switch was a button on the floor you pushed with your left foot. ;)

Never had a car with that foot switch - but having spent years on the family’s used car lot, I have seen many of those!

My first cruise control was in a 79 Olds Calais. It was so inconsistent. Cruise-accelerate-cruise-accelerate repeatedly. Roller coasters were smoother lol

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My first cruise control was in a 79 Olds Calais. It was so inconsistent. Cruise-accelerate-cruise-accelerate repeatedly. Roller coasters were smoother lol
I don't think those vacuum-based systems ever worked well. Always reactive instead of anticipatory. I'd always end up turning it off when I got tired of the surging.

Cortesio

Reaction score
The availability of ACC is why I changed to Ram in the first place. I drive about 80 miles a day commuting mostly on an interstate and having ACC is one of the best features of my truck.

Utemachine

Reaction score
I won’t buy a new vehicle without it. It’s amazing and makes long drives so much smoother.

Neil McCauley

Reaction score
Not a fan. I think it actually hurts gas mileage. Not a knock on the ACC in the Ram specifically, just ACC in general as a concept. The computer/sensors don't take into account traffic AHEAD of the vehicle you are following, nor does it react to things like brake lights. Just feel I can drive more gently and efficiently myself than the computer. Suppose you are set to cruise at 75 and you are coming up on a vehicle going 65, or better yet a vehicle going 70 that you can see is approaching another vehicle going 60, or a line of vehicles that just lit up their brake lights. I can anticipate this stuff way ahead of when the computer would react to the vehicle ahead, and can just coast up to the vehicle and be at the set distance I like to maintain between vehicles, with no brakes, no sudden deceleration, just a slight easing off the gas 100 yards ahead of time. My 2 cents.

Users who are viewing this thread