5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Adaptive Cruise Control.....Yay or Nay?

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I am a control freak - hard no for me. The main reason I opted to not get level 2 is that I do not want any of the self driving type features...I got this. I am more likely to pass a car not keeping pace than I am to fall in line and just follow.
I'm with you, unfortunately all those features are becoming standard as the years go on, even in base models. Luckily you can turn a lot of those features off.

I like the fact that you get both cruise controls so don't have to sacrifice one for the other.

millerbjm

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I love it on our subaru - l did a 150 mile drive one time without ever touching the gas or brake because the car just handled it. I was frustrated it isn't an option on the Big Horn trim - seems like a stupid move on FCA's part as I bet a lot of folks would add it and I'm hoping it becomes standard or avail on 2022 models. Agree with others that having both regular and auto (subaru does this too) is the best of both worlds.

doolin64

Reaction score
I never had it until my Gladiator and I really like it. I specifically optioned the truck with that.

I've never been a big cruise control person but adaptive changed everything for me.

Bigtone

Reaction score
I have ACC on my Challenger and my wife’s 300. Not really a fan of it. The Limited I bought in December did not come with the Electronics package that includes ACC and Lane departure, which was fine with me.

Arth

Reaction score
I've used it and I find I really like it in stop and go traffic of all things. Keeps just enough distance so I don't get cut off to bad. As for high speed driving I prefer to be in control.

jastevenson

Reaction score
Why are people sometimes using regular cruise?

On an empty highway, adaptive cruise acts just like regular cruise.

On a crowded highway, you can’t really use regular cruise since it will disable itself constantly when you use the brake to slow down.

What am I missing?

Techna

Reaction score
I really like it, but only use it when I'm in the right frame of mind. If my mindset is hyper destination centric, I typically don't use cruise of any sort as I'm not willing to give up much control with regards to my pace. When I'm in a go with the flow mood, adaptive cruise allows me to enjoy the drive so much more. I find myself willing to go with the flow more and more these days. Im pretty sure that the 25 year old me would have never used it, but the 58 year old me uses it all the time. Wish we had it on our sprinter.

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My fear is that with every new part of the driving experience that becomes automated, drivers become worse and accidents increase. And, there have been numerous transportation studies that have shown that this is actually the case.

There are certain creature comforts I enjoy, like the heated steering wheel and seats, and power windows and locks. But when it comes time to DRIVE, I want to be the one driving.

KCViper

Reaction score
Some people really like it. I have it but never use it. Maybe there is an adjustment, but on the interstate, if a slower vehicle pull over into your lane, it almost slams on the brakes, and then accelerates hard once the lane is opened back up. Too jerky for me. Also, I live the DFW area, so people drive like they in the Daytona 500 down here. So, nah, I'll just rely on my brake, accelerator and foot. But hey, you may love it!
I, too, live in the DFW metroplex and have ACC on my Porsche, I find that I never use it. Tried it and it does work well. Living in DFW, ACC leaves a gap and cars simply cut in front of you and I feel like I'm going backwards.....

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Why are people sometimes using regular cruise?

On an empty highway, adaptive cruise acts just like regular cruise.

On a crowded highway, you can’t really use regular cruise since it will disable itself constantly when you use the brake to slow down.

What am I missing?
Post #13 and post #15.

Wsmith

Reaction score
Had it my last vehicle, but not on the bighorn. I did not think I would miss it, bottom line is I MISS IT.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I, too, live in the DFW metroplex and have ACC on my Porsche, I find that I never use it. Tried it and it does work well. Living in DFW, ACC leaves a gap and cars simply cut in front of you and I feel like I'm going backwards.....
I use it all the time here in DFW. But I do find that I need to put it on the shortest distance when I'm in traffic to minimize being cut off. When I'm headed out of town, I'll increase the following distance.

KCViper

Reaction score
I use it all the time here in DFW. But I do find that I need to put it on the shortest distance when I'm in traffic to minimize being cut off. When I'm headed out of town, I'll increase the following distance.
That makes perfect sense. Unfortantly, there is no adjustment (that I am aware of) on my Porsche for distance regarding ACC.

Rexx

Reaction score
It’s a really nice feature. I didn’t think I would use it on my limited much but I actually use quite a bit, both on the Hwy and in city.
The only complaint I have with it is it can slow down so smoothly you don’t even notice so if you’re not paying attention you can get stuck behind slow moving traffic on the hwy without even really noticing.

myles

Reaction score
20' longhorn here, I use it every time I driveand I really like it and would buy it again, its really nice considering I drive 500+ miles/week. It just takes a bit of the load off.
However, it has its limitations. Its a pretty basic system so you still need to pay attention, if the freeway is empty and ACC is on, and a completely stopped car is coming up the system wont sense the car until you are a few hundred feet away, which is sketchy as hell, I've never had the balls to see if it will stop in time. But it normal traffic it works great, there's a bit of a lag, but I would say it does everything I would do but about 1/2-1 second later than I would. Definitely takes some getting used. It has already saved my a$$ once when I was looking at a weird truck beside me on the freeway and it slammed on the brakes for me when traffic came to a stop for an accident.

36k miles and I've never had any "false alarms" where it slams on the brakes for no reason, so I would say the extra $$$ is worth it if it saves you from even 1 crash.

for the lane keep assist, its alright, I would say it works about 50% of the time.

Turaco

Reaction score
20' longhorn here, I use it every time I driveand I really like it and would buy it again, its really nice considering I drive 500+ miles/week. It just takes a bit of the load off.
However, it has its limitations. Its a pretty basic system so you still need to pay attention, if the freeway is empty and ACC is on, and a completely stopped car is coming up the system wont sense the car until you are a few hundred feet away, which is sketchy as hell, I've never had the balls to see if it will stop in time. But it normal traffic it works great, there's a bit of a lag, but I would say it does everything I would do but about 1/2-1 second later than I would. Definitely takes some getting used. It has already saved my a$$ once when I was looking at a weird truck beside me on the freeway and it slammed on the brakes for me when traffic came to a stop for an accident.

36k miles and I've never had any "false alarms" where it slams on the brakes for no reason, so I would say the extra $$$ is worth it if it saves you from even 1 crash.

for the lane keep assist, its alright, I would say it works about 50% of the time.
The ACC system will not stop for any stationary vehicles, it will crash right into them as if they weren’t there. Yeah, not a nice visual, lol. These type of systems along with semi autonomous ones (not sure about fully autonomous systems as found in Tesla and GMs Super Cruise, but I think they have the same drawback) consider stationary vehicles as “road noise” and will not apply brakes to the vehicle.

Users who are viewing this thread