5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Adaptive Cruise Control.....Yay or Nay?

Skyflyer

Reaction score
I'm considering ordering adaptive cruise control for a new Laramie. Does it work well? Any issues to be aware of?

Thanks.

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
It works very well on our Limited (wife's truck). Our Laramie doesn't have it (my truck) but I wish it did. The main thing it does for me is makes me a more patient driver. Drivers who can't keep a constant speed drive me nuts, so I usually end up just passing them. With adaptive cruise, I'm more relaxed because the truck just keeps pace with the vehicle in front of me. And I don't really notice the slowing down and speeding up that can happen when people aren't using cruise control. My vote is to get it.

RickWaz

Reaction score
The (GREAT) feature has worked flawlessly on my 2020 Limited and my wife's 2014 Grand Cherokee. It also works great in city driving and can bring your truck to a complete stop. Just make sure that you read & understand some limitations and warnings when using the ACC, as noted in the manual.

BNeal

Reaction score
Some people really like it. I have it but never use it. Maybe there is an adjustment, but on the interstate, if a slower vehicle pull over into your lane, it almost slams on the brakes, and then accelerates hard once the lane is opened back up. Too jerky for me. Also, I live the DFW area, so people drive like they in the Daytona 500 down here. So, nah, I'll just rely on my brake, accelerator and foot. But hey, you may love it!

Yangster

Reaction score
It's great. On my current SUV, you can set the distance. I have to set it each time I turn on the cruise to the minimum amount. The default is the max distance (3 settings). The only issue that I have is if the car in front slows down and I don't notice the speed decreasing. All of a sudden I'll look at the speedometer and say, why am I only going 55 mpg? LOL.

Turaco

Reaction score
I'm considering ordering adaptive cruise control for a new Laramie. Does it work well? Any issues to be aware of?

Thanks
Best thing ever invented. I have on my wifes jeep gc and i got it on my Ram. Won’t get another vehicle without it. Works flawlessly with some minor quirks. Also in Ram, it comes with the Advanced Safety Package, so there are a few other safety features included as well.

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm not the biggest fan of adaptive cruise control and have disliked it on every rental car I've ever had.

On my dad's Limited I like it. The fact that you can either use regular cruise control or the adaptive is great. I love being able to choose which one I want.

I wish I could have gotten it on my Big Horn but I would have definitely gotten it if I had bought a Laramie.

Turaco

Reaction score
I
I'm not the biggest fan of adaptive cruise control and have disliked it on every rental car I've ever had.

On my dad's Limited I like it. The fact that you can either use regular cruise control or the adaptive is great. I love being able to choose which one I want.

I wish I could have gotten it on my Big Horn but I would have definitely gotten it if I had bought a Laramie.
In what instances would you use cc over acc? Since I have had acc available I have never used cc. Breaking disengages both.

Rupp

Reaction score
I'm with Turaco on this. I love this option and would never have another vehicle without it. I too find it makes me a much less aggressive driver and I love the ability to relax and let it do it's thing. I wasn't aware that you could use ACC or regular. I've got so much to learn about this truck.

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I

In what instances would you use cc over acc? Since I have had acc available I have never used cc. Breaking disengages both.
I prefer to have the "traditional" cruise control where I set the speed and navigate the traffic as most of of my driving is on multi-lane roads and the freeway around me is 10-12 lanes. Since COVID I've had much less traffic to deal with.

I don't like the truck slowing down and then powering back up to speed when I change lanes or slowing down then speeding up as someone jumps in front of me as they try to make it over to their off-ramp at the last possible moment.

If there is traffic and I don't plan on changing lanes much or I'm on a 2 lane highway then I prefer the adaptive cruise control to just sit where I am and enjoy the ride.

As it stands right now I don't have the luxury to choose as I have a Big Horn. I drive my dad's Limited every now and then and I like having both options depending on the driving I'm doing for him.

Last edited:

Turaco

Reaction score
I prefer to have the "traditional" cruise control where I set the speed and navigate the traffic as most of of my driving is on multi-lane roads and the freeway around me is 10-12 lanes. Since COVID I've had much less traffic to deal with.

I don't like the truck slowing down and then powering back up to speed when I change lanes or slowing down the speeding up as someone jumps in front of me as they try to make it over to their off-ramp at the last possible moment.

If there is traffic and I don't plan on changing lanes much or I'm on a 2 lane highway then I prefer the adaptive cruise control to just sit where I am and enjoy the ride.

As it stands right now I don't have the luxury to choose as I have a Big Horn. I drive my dad's Limited every now and then and I like having both options depending on the driving I'm doing for him.
I use acc on multi lane highways all the time, i just dont get so close to the car in front of me to where it starts reducing the speed. I merge into the next lane ahead of time and problem solved. But I can understand this might depend on driving styles. I really dont see a need to use cc anymore for my driving style.

NWRogue

Reaction score
I like it, 2 gripes though:
1) a bit slow to accelerate when changing to the passing lane when coming up on traffic that has started ACC slowing down (is the Hemi better?), the Mercedes I had before this would start accelerating as soon as I turned the blinker on for the lane change
2) don't you hate it when ACC slows you down and you don't notice?

i know, the 2nd issue is not ACC but it would be nice to get a chime or something to let me know the truck is slowing me down. it's that subtle, well unless it's jamming on the brakes because some idiot cut me off.

and i seriously like the fact that you can choose between ACC or CC. my Mercedes GLE didn't do that, you get ACC or nothing.

jastevenson

Reaction score
Love it. Considerably better implementation than others I have used. Feature was first invented over 25 years ago, no reason to not have it on a modern vehicle.

What is disappointing is that there is no lane centering. Vehicles with lane centering pretty much drive themselves (closely supervised).

TAK

Reaction score
Where I like it the most is when you are in light traffic or in a construction zone . You know you can't pass anyone so you just sit back and relax and let the truck follow the person in front. In heavy traffic I just shut it off. To much jerking around.

grimreefer

U.S. Merchant Marine
Reaction score
Love it. Considerably better implementation than others I have used. Feature was first invented over 25 years ago, no reason to not have it on a modern vehicle.

What is disappointing is that there is no lane centering. Vehicles with lane centering pretty much drive themselves (closely supervised).
Meh... lane assist is close enough if you don't mind a bit of wandering.

😬

Last edited:

Jason605

Reaction score
I would never actually pay for this feature. I drive a semi for living and all the new trucks have this feature. If you drive on any busy highway when all the idiots cut in front of you the brakes slam. It's so bad in the semi's that even going under an overpass slams on the brakes.

Trippi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I am a control freak - hard no for me. The main reason I opted to not get level 2 is that I do not want any of the self driving type features...I got this. I am more likely to pass a car not keeping pace than I am to fall in line and just follow.

Users who are viewing this thread