5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Active Park Assist hit another vehicle

peek

Reaction score
Hey dudes,

a week ago my 2022 RAM 1500 decided to hit another vehicle while using the active park assist. I used it many times before without any issues, this time the RAM reversed into the parking space so fast that neither the emergency brake assistant nor I could intervene. The emergency brake assistant only reacted when it was already too late. So far, the car has never reversed at this speed when it already was near another vehicle.

The end of the story, the Renault Twingo we damaged will cost 3500€ to repair, my RAM another 1500€.

Have any of you had similar problems?

cheers;
Ole

Attachments

• IMG_6693.jpeg
    IMG_6693.jpeg
    85.2 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_6733 Large.jpeg
    IMG_6733 Large.jpeg
    150.8 KB · Views: 93

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Hey dudes,

a week ago my 2022 RAM 1500 decided to hit another vehicle while using the active park assist. I used it many times before without any issues, this time the RAM reversed into the parking space so fast that neither the emergency brake assistant nor I could intervene. The emergency brake assistant only reacted when it was already too late. So far, the car has never reversed at this speed when it already was near another vehicle.

The end of the story, the Renault Twingo we damaged will cost 3500€ to repair, my RAM another 1500€.

Have any of you had similar problems?

cheers;
Ole
What do you mean by reverse to fast? You control the gas and the brake as it reverses. The truck only controls the steering. So if it reverses too fast into the parking lot that's on you. And yes I have it on my truck and I've used it too so I know how it works.

Last edited:

DEG

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Park assist in my truck does not control speed or braking; it only steers and tells me when to forward or reverse.

My speed during park assist is dependent upon how hard I press the accelerator pedal.

The owners manual says, "It is the driver's responsibility to use the brake and accelerator during the semi automatic parking maneuver."

peek

Reaction score
Thanks, got it. I think I miss understood the tutorial, or maybe the guy did it also the wrong way. The Video is in german, but as you may see, he only uses the brake when the car says "Stop" and let it just roll by itself, that's why it's going that "fast". If you have a look at the top right corner, the moving RAM came pretty close to the parking RAM. That might be similar in my case, but I couldn't see the other car and my car didn't said stop or something else. Anyhow, got the stupid mistake :-/

Scap

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I know my truck offers this, but I have never bothered to try it. I guess the many years of driving windowless vans got my confidence in my mirrors up.

peek

Reaction score
I'll never use it again 😂 the 360 cam is awesome. Here in Germany you really want it, our parking spaces a much smaller than the ones in the US. It's so funny, before the RAM I hat a 2019 Audi TT RS, when I saw a Audi Q8, for instance, I thought how big is that car. When I now see the Q8 it looks way smaller 😂

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I couldn't imagine driving a full size truck in much of Europe. Both times I was there we rented smaller cars, and I still felt uncomfortable on some of the narrower roads over there. It was worse in the UK, where I was forced to not only drive on small roads, but I had to drive on the wrong side of them too. :ROFLMAO:

FLiPMaRC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'll never use it again 😂 the 360 cam is awesome. Here in Germany you really want it, our parking spaces a much smaller than the ones in the US. It's so funny, before the RAM I hat a 2019 Audi TT RS, when I saw a Audi Q8, for instance, I thought how big is that car. When I now see the Q8 it looks way smaller 😂
Expensive lesson to learn :LOL:

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
We parallel park here in major cities. It's not uncommon to have a foot or 2 of space on either side and that's it. I would be more concerned with the roads then parking in Germany.
I still havnt tried my park assist as I wouldn't trust it, been parking my cars/trucks my entire life and a car can only do so much. Sensors will not make your truck any smaller or turn your wheels 90 greens to crab walk into a spot.
With a pickup if you think you can't fit, then you can't and don't even bother imo.

peek

Reaction score
We parallel park here in major cities. It's not uncommon to have a foot or 2 of space on either side and that's it. I would be more concerned with the roads then parking in Germany.
I still havnt tried my park assist as I wouldn't trust it, been parking my cars/trucks my entire life and a car can only do so much. Sensors will not make your truck any smaller or turn your wheels 90 greens to crab walk into a spot.
With a pickup if you think you can't fit, then you can't and don't even bother imo.
You're right. Of course, usually I also always park manually and that works very well. I've a lot practise with cars in this size. The idea behind was, to show it to my wife, so she can use it and I can sleep a bit better. ;-) She hasn't any experience with such huge cars. Anyhow, after practising two times, she parks the big boy like a boss. :D

Sometimes playing around with tech could be expensive. My dealer will fix my RAM for a very fair fee.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
You're right. Of course, usually I also always park manually and that works very well. I've a lot practise with cars in this size. The idea behind was, to show it to my wife, so she can use it and I can sleep a bit better. ;-) She hasn't any experience with such huge cars. Anyhow, after practising two times, she parks the big boy like a boss. :D

Sometimes playing around with tech could be expensive. My dealer will fix my RAM for a very fair fee.
My wife dinged my door once on my Camaro. She now just never drives whatever I own (her decision) haha.
I tried to use the park assist like 6 times but it never worked, would never engage. I think it's bececause you need to hit the button before you find a spot, and also go slow while trying to find one which is a good way to get rear ended here.

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
My wife dinged my door once on my Camaro. She now just never drives whatever I own (her decision) haha.
I tried to use the park assist like 6 times but it never worked, would never engage. I think it's bececause you need to hit the button before you find a spot, and also go slow while trying to find one which is a good way to get rear ended here.
Yes, you have to enable before you find a spot. It finds the spot for you. But it seems to only work on the right side to find a spot. And slow is relative. I mean you would drive like normal to find a spot.

Users who are viewing this thread