5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Active Air Grille Shutters

popcenator

Reaction score
Where did you get the information to do so? Grille on a 5th gen is a ***** to remove, and the grille shutter mechanism is different on a 5th gen.

I removed on an 18, but I haven't seen a tutorial on 19+..
I watched a couple videos on how to remove the grille and started to do so, but I took a quick look at the top of the grille and realized I could fit my arm between the grille and the frame. I used the gap to remove them and it worked pretty well. I'm not sure if the Rebel grille has more space than other trims but it's worth a look.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Last edited:
U

User_3336

I read that 5th gen's don't need a DELETE KIT, you just mount the motor somewhere and leave it active. Doesn't throw any codes like previous gen's.

Did you install the delete kit?

popcenator

Reaction score
I read that 5th gen's don't need a DELETE KIT, you just mount the motor somewhere and leave it active. Doesn't throw any codes like previous gen's.
If true, that's awesome. The only hurdle is disassembling the grille which seemed like a pain in the *** when I first attempted lol.

Ellisstrong

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
If true, that's awesome. The only hurdle is disassembling the grille which seemed like a pain in the *** when I first attempted lol.

My grille shutters were removed during my procharger install. I just removed my grille this week to get it painted and it may have took me an hour and a half.
It’s not that bad.

Attachments

• F74A48E3-7E46-4C79-9252-49CAC71BAF5E.jpeg
    F74A48E3-7E46-4C79-9252-49CAC71BAF5E.jpeg
    169.8 KB · Views: 97

popcenator

Reaction score
My grille shutters were removed during my procharger install. I just removed my grille this week to get it painted and it may have took me an hour and a half.
It’s not that bad.
An hour and a half for a grille removal is a little ridiculous lol.

popcenator

Reaction score
I didn't end up removing the grille. Luckily, the Rebel grille has a gap that I was able to slip my arm through and remove the shutters without having to remove the grille.

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Can anyone explain why you’re removing these?
I've read a couple of reasons.

It is thought by some it will lower engine operating temperature. Another is to reduce drag.

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 17 July 2018. Now at: 036404 miles.

popcenator

Reaction score
I removed mine to fully utilize the Vararam intake at all speeds. And lower engine temps.

Mopar_maxi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I removed mine to fully utilize the Vararam intake at all speeds. And lower engine temps.

Did you get a check engine light? I know if you completely remove them in a 4th gen you’ll get the light

U

User_3336

On a 4th gen, just leave the top and bottom rows of slats and remove the remaining ones....where the motor can still function.

Did you get a check engine light? I know if you completely remove them in a 4th gen you’ll get the light

popcenator

Reaction score
I did not. The motor on a 4th gen has a lever that powers the shutter on the top one. That apparently changed to the middle shutter on the 5th gens. The end of the shutter that goes into the motor has a gear. So I currently have the middle and bottom shutter present and all others removed.

TexRamAC

Reaction score
Im having issues with my shutters throwing a CEL and I was wondering if I remove the shutters all together but keep getting the CEL will I have to just replace the actuator motor and tie it up somewhere?

Users who are viewing this thread