5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Active Air Grille Shutters

popcenator

Reaction score
I'm not 100% sure I'm this, but I believe the ECM is looking for a specific range of motion, and the bracket that the shutters are moved by keeps it in that range. I removed all of the shutters except the middle and bottom shutters and kept the bracket on and did not get the CEL. I then tried to remove the bottom shutter and the bracket, leaving the middle one since it was directly controlled by the motor and got the CEL after a short drive.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Last edited:
U

User_3336

Grille shutters on the Gen 4 and Gen 5 work the same but the architecture is different.

with that said, the "CLASSIC" models worked the same as 4th Gen. you could NOT remove all the shutters those. As I recall, you had to leave the top slat and the bottom slat in place so the motor would see the full range of motion. I did this successfully on a 4th gen.

On a 5th gen, its such a pain in the *** to get the grille cover off, and I am not sure the actual grille shutter module is the same.

popcenator

Reaction score
It's not. The middle shutter is powered by the motor directly on the 5th gen. There's no arm on the motor like there was on the 4th gen, but there must be something monitoring the range of motion because the shutters have a greater range with the bracket removed.

popcenator

Reaction score
Grille shutters on the Gen 4 and Gen 5 work the same but the architecture is different.

with that said, the "CLASSIC" models worked the same as 4th Gen. you could NOT remove all the shutters those. As I recall, you had to leave the top slat and the bottom slat in place so the motor would see the full range of motion. I did this successfully on a 4th gen.

On a 5th gen, its such a pain in the *** to get the grille cover off, and I am not sure the actual grille shutter module is the same.
If I wasn't able to fit my arm between the radiator and grille I would not have removed them. I usually break stuff when I try and remove difficult components and wasn't ready to do that on my truck just yet lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/