5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Activating 4WD to keep it working well?

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Snow tires or 4wd. Need 1 or both in snow. Snow tires are better than any 4wd or awd system you will ever drive.
"Need" is a strong word. Grew up in rural Nebraska driving RWD vehicles with no snow tires. Never had a need for them no matter how much snow we got.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
"Need" is a strong word. Grew up in rural Nebraska driving RWD vehicles with no snow tires. Never had a need for them no matter how much snow we got.
"Need" is the correct word depending on where you live.
I'm in the North East and having all seasons and RWD there are a LOT of places you just legit can not get to during or right after storms. It's not uncommon to be going up or down 40 degree hills in the city where sliding will result in you going into 4 way intersections or parked cars and good luck stopping down a 40 degree hill covered in snow and or ice without snow tires.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I'm in the North East and having all seasons and RWD there are a LOT of places you just legit can not get to during or right after storms. It's not uncommon to be going up or down 40 degree hills in the city where sliding will result in you going into 4 way intersections or parked cars and good luck stopping down a 40 degree hill covered in snow and or ice without snow tires.
4wd doesn't help stopping. Which was one of your "need" options. If streets are that bad, might just be best to stay home.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
I put mine in 4 auto or 4 high when it’s raining just to keep everything moving.

Also, I thought the TRX didn’t have the clutch based transfer case that the other rams have. So no wearing of clutch plates?

Insanity

Reaction score

You are right some places you need snow tires some places you need studs some places you need tire chains. What we don't need a tolerated troll.

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Snow tires or 4wd. Need 1 or both in snow. Snow tires are better than any 4wd or awd system you will ever drive.
I have, on occasion, needed all of the above. And got stuck with all the above. Walked the rest of the way home in a blizzard, walked back with a shovel in the morning. Good times. ;)

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I once bought a ram 1500 rwd in Oklahoma then had to move back to New York. That winter I missed not having 4wd. I will never be without at least 1 truck that has 4wd.
I hear you and If I were in the snow belt or closer to the coast where you have sandy beaches Id buy 4x4 without hesitation but here in North Texas where we get 2 or 3 snow/ice days a year, its not needed.

We drove to Corpus Christi summer before last and drove on to North Padre Island, I realized quickly that this was no place for a 2wd truck and adjusted my driving style before I got stuck. There's definitely situations where having 4x4 is needed, I just don't live in any of them. I'm not an off roader or a weekend camper and I don't own a boat or intend to, or at least now one this truck would pull; everyone please feel free to crowdfund me a Midnight Express 43 Solstice with Quint engine setup.

I drag and road race and that's along with home depot/lowes stuff is the extent of my truck needs, this is also why the tungsten only being available in 4x4 and 3.92 annoys me.

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
You are right some places you need snow tires some places you need studs some places you need tire chains. What we don't need a tolerated troll.

You need 4wd as much as you need a valvomax oil drain valve...

What I need is about 950whp in a truck, maybe 958whp but definitely 950 and slurpee.
A cherry slurpee

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
What I need is about 950whp in a truck, maybe 958whp but definitely 950 and slurpee.
A cherry slurpee
Buy a TRX, and I know a guy who can get that for you. At least the HP. No 7/11s around here for the slurpee

barrak

Reaction score

Totally agree. "Stopping Power" is key for winter driving, wet or dry.

Still, I like to layer up. I have both 4WD/AWD and snow tires on at least one of my vehicles. I also have both a propane furnace and a wood stove in my mountain home, and, when my self-imposed firearms embargo expires this year, I intend to get a concealed carry and a 12-gauge for self/home defense.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Totally agree. "Stopping Power" is key for winter driving, wet or dry.

Still, I like to layer up. I have both 4WD/AWD and snow tires on at least one of my vehicles. I also have both a propane furnace and a wood stove in my mountain home, and, when my self-imposed firearms embargo expires this year, I intend to get a concealed carry and a 12-gauge for self/home defense.
I put snow tires on my G35X (AWD Sedan) and oh boy let me tell you. Thing was amazing in the snow.

I drove home during a blizzard in whiteout conditions and it felt like I was driving on dry ground on that thing. I was going 70 mph on the highway for 35 miles when everyone else was going around 20-30 because there were no plows out yet.

I just use all seasons now due to the price of tires, and the fact it's around $300 a year just swapping the tires onto the rims. It's fine on my 4x4 truck.
In my Camaro I had to swap to snow tires because I would legit not be able to even get out of my job's parking lot even with a running start (government owned lot). I got stuck waiting for 3 hours for them to come salt the lot so I could leave.

barrak

Reaction score
I put snow tires on my G35X (AWD Sedan) and oh boy let me tell you. Thing was amazing in the snow.

I drove home during a blizzard in whiteout conditions and it felt like I was driving on dry ground on that thing. I was going 70 mph on the highway for 35 miles when everyone else was going around 20-30 because there were no plows out yet.

I just use all seasons now due to the price of tires, and the fact it's around $300 a year just swapping the tires onto the rims. It's fine on my 4x4 truck.
In my Camaro I had to swap to snow tires because I would legit not be able to even get out of my job's parking lot even with a running start (government owned lot). I got stuck waiting for 3 hours for them to come salt the lot so I could leave.
Sounds like my Subaru Outback with the Nokians. These midsize AWD SUVs are awesome in such conditions, when properly shoed. I have a 200-yard dirt flat driveway which I almost never plow with my side-by-side. The Subaru plows through anything under 20 inches to get out, more if it's dry snow. If it's more than that (before I bought the plow), I would just shovel a segmented trench (one shovel width) along the centerline of the driveway; alternating 6-10 yards shoveled with 6-10 yards skipped. Then, point the Subaru, maintain a good throttle, and it would plow all the way through without high-centering.

I swallow the pill and get separate tire/rim sets for my vehicles, do all the swapping and TPMS reprogramming myself as well. The RAM auto learns the TPMS codes and, for the Outback, I use an ATEQ Quickset that I had for 10 years now.

Users who are viewing this thread