5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

AC issues fixed for 2020???

Jim L

Reaction score
To early for me as no need for the A/C when I got my 2020 mid Oct

JJSJ

Reaction score
Every time I get ready to pull the trigger on a new Ram, I read some new issue with them. I know the a/c has been an ongoing issue, but I would've expected them to at least fix a major flaw like that for 2020. Definitely could be a deal breaker

Checkairspeed

Reaction score
Every time I get ready to pull the trigger on a new Ram, I read some new issue with them. I know the a/c has been an ongoing issue, but I would've expected them to at least fix a major flaw like that for 2020. Definitely could be a deal breaker
The a/c is an issue for some, not everyone. Some feel it does not cool to the temp they expect/require. Others are satisfied with the temps the a/c produces. I am satisfied with the performance. Is it a design flaw? That is yet to be determined. You can read all sorts of opinions here, some with graphs and supposedly technical data to support their argument. Are they correct?, who knows. Some compare a different vehicle’s performance to the Ram. Completely useless unless comparing two similar Rams.
With all due respect, stop reading forums and do yourself a favor by actually test driving one during the hot weather to determine if it performs to your satisfaction. If you make a decision based on a forum, your cheating yourself. There is not a single manufacturer, especially with a complete redesign, that doesn’t have some issues to work through. If you’re waiting for a perfect vehicle, you’ll never purchase one.

Cannonball

Reaction score
@JJSJ has a legit question due to a legit problem seen in a fair number of 2019s. A test drive won't prove the AC problems have been fixed any more so than posing the question in a forum.

I have not heard of any updates on AC changes for 2020. There is a diy hack posted here Air condition hack that seems to have fixed the problem.

You're in NH though, the only AC you should be thinking about right now is the AfC the Patriots are going to win!

PostPremium

Reaction score
I'm waiting on a fix before I buy. Test drove a 2020 limited in October during 90+ degree weather and the AC didn't cut it. Of course I'm in Houston so humidity can be high. There are multiple threads (probably one of the longest in the forum), a hack, and numerous YouTube videos on this exact subject. The issue exists for a fair amount of owners regardless of what some of the flat-earthers here say. If Ram doesn't get it sorted out, I will seriously consider the new F-150 redesign when it comes out.

ldoh

Reaction score
A design flaw can always be subjective when the facts are ignored. We can give it a few months but I predict FCA did nothing to address the issue.

Last edited:

Kob0583

Reaction score
My A/C on my 20 seems fine, I’ve used it but not in super hot weather yet, I’m in North FL. Seemed fine for 70-80 degree cooling but it’s cooler this time of year so I guess I’ll know for sure once summer hits but nothing indicating it won’t work well so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Checkairspeed

Reaction score
@JJSJ has a legit question due to a legit problem seen in a fair number of 2019s. A test drive won't prove the AC problems have been fixed any more so than posing the question in a forum.

I have not heard of any updates on AC changes for 2020. There is a diy hack posted here Air condition hack that seems to have fixed the problem.

You're in NH though, the only AC you should be thinking about right now is the AfC the Patriots are going to win!
So not making a purchase based solely on forum posts is “legit”? How else would a prospective buyer know if a truck meets expectations? My point to the OP was and is, test it for yourself.

xspeedy

Reaction score
So not making a purchase based solely on forum posts is “legit”? How else would a prospective buyer know if a truck meets expectations? My point to the OP was and is, test it for yourself.

Not always an option depending on time of year. I just bought one in Austin and kept the truck for an extended test drive on a warmer day. It seemed fine, but didn’t seem to cool super well when fan was low and pulling in fresh air. But set to max or auto I saw pretty cold vent temps.

i don’t think I will know for sure until we see the normal summer temps.

Checkairspeed

Reaction score

Legit is only if you test yourself and decide it is not sufficient. Legit is based on individual experiences. The OP has reason for concern based on other owner’s experiences, but can’t realistically make a decision unless tested first hand. If I were making a possible $50k+ purchasing decision, I would test drive or rent one during the hot weather and decide. Basing a decision on other’s experiences, is, um, stupid.

Checkairspeed

Reaction score
Not always an option depending on time of year. I just bought one in Austin and kept the truck for an extended test drive on a warmer day. It seemed fine, but didn’t seem to cool super well when fan was low and pulling in fresh air. But set to max or auto I saw pretty cold vent temps.

i don’t think I will know for sure until we see the normal summer temps.
Always an option, especially if you suspect an issue. Don’t buy. If there are possible “deal breakers” for a buyer, then it is their responsibility to determine if the truck meets needs/expectations. I was not forced into purchasing, even with the reported issues. I test drove during hot/humid conditions. Did it blow snow? No, but performed as needed. I actually had to increase temp, after 10-15 min at max.

Checkairspeed

Reaction score
I'm waiting on a fix before I buy. Test drove a 2020 limited in October during 90+ degree weather and the AC didn't cut it. Of course I'm in Houston so humidity can be high. There are multiple threads (probably one of the longest in the forum), a hack, and numerous YouTube videos on this exact subject. The issue exists for a fair amount of owners regardless of what some of the flat-earthers here say. If Ram doesn't get it sorted out, I will seriously consider the new F-150 redesign when it comes out.
No need to call names. The a/c didn’t work for you, that’s fair. Houston is killer for heat/humidity. BTW, if you do go with the F150, you won’t have to worry about the doors freezing shut/won’t close, living in Houston. The wonky xmsn might be OK for you also. The reason I’m in a Ram now is because of those issues. Whatever you choose, good luck.[/QUOTE]

jdmartin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It's not a matter of being a "flat earther". It's not even the same analogy. We can prove the earth is round (oblong, but let's not split hairs here). The AC definitely works. There is a significant temperature drop across the coils. Whether or not it is enough of a drop depends on the person and the climate, I suppose, but just because the AC doesn't spit out ice cubes doesn't mean it doesn't work.

iamtheav8r

Reaction score
Did Ram get off their *** and fix the ac systems in these trucks yet?
I'm sure the answer is no. 19s reporting the same problem. People are still buying them so why would they bother to fix them?

JJSJ

Reaction score
I test drove 3 19's. 2 Limited and 1 longhorn, all 1500. All 3 had weak A/C. I've also test driven 2 early production 20's. 1 limited and 1 longhorn, one a 1500 and the other a 2500. Same issues. The A/C was cool at best.
It also bugs me that the passenger vents are so much cooler than the drivers. I was hoping by now they would have started to correct the issue. I'll take one more for a ride to see if anything has changed.

jdmartin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My ac works great in my 2020. 98 degree in Ft worth the day I bought last Sept.
You do realize that you must be lying, since other people say the AC doesn't work, right? You just *think* your AC works but you must be mistaken :ROFLMAO::p

Users who are viewing this thread