5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

AC issues fixed for 2020???

Sacredgrooves

Reaction score
I measured mine yesterday with a digital thermometer after reading some threads, 39 to 41 degrees at the vents. I live in the hot and humid southeast and the a/c will run you out of the truck if you let it. I don't have dual zone, or touch screen climate controls, just the peasant knob version and basic 8" touch screen. There has to be a fix for this without the hack if it works well on some but not others. Mine has a build date of 08-01-2020. I hope those having the issue get it sorted, that would drive me nuts. I love refrigerator level temps.

ColoradoCub

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I measured mine yesterday with a digital thermometer after reading some threads, 39 to 41 degrees at the vents. I live in the hot and humid southeast and the a/c will run you out of the truck if you let it. I don't have dual zone, or touch screen climate controls, just the peasant knob version and basic 8" touch screen. There has to be a fix for this without the hack if it works well on some but not others. Mine has a build date of 08-01-2020. I hope those having the issue get it sorted, that would drive me nuts. I love refrigerator level temps.

That’s how all these trucks AC should perform, not 52-58 deg AC. You got a good one. I’ve owned two of these 5th gens and my buddy has owned two, two 2019’s and two 2020’s, none of the 4 of our trucks will blow below 50 on any AC setting without installing the hack.

RSConsulting

Reaction score
58° out of the vent is terrible compared to most other vehicles on the road.

Say what you will. But as I've remarked - even at 105 with the heat index, my interior gets cold enough that I have to bump the thermostat up to 67-68 to keep from getting frozen.

Now - I found I got better results with the A/C set to AUTO - than I did by setting a temp/fan speed/outlets manually.

This is one thing I can't complain about. Now - my entire dash delaminating, is another story. When I get "un-lazy" enough to take my Tazer & PC out, and roll by the dealer to get the windshield wiper recall done - we'll see what PCA does about that.

Rick

Timeless

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Say what you will. But as I've remarked - even at 105 with the heat index, my interior gets cold enough that I have to bump the thermostat up to 67-68 to keep from getting frozen.

Now - I found I got better results with the A/C set to AUTO - than I did by setting a temp/fan speed/outlets manually.

This is one thing I can't complain about. Now - my entire dash delaminating, is another story. When I get "un-lazy" enough to take my Tazer & PC out, and roll by the dealer to get the windshield wiper recall done - we'll see what PCA does about that.

Rick

Not to rain on your parade but 58 out of the vent is horrible. Might be acceptable for you but it is at least 15 degrees higher then the competition or even the 4th gen Ram trucks.

TheGoogleNinja

Reaction score
I live in Utah but regularly travel to Arizona. I was there this last weekend. It was up around 108F or so. No issues with the A/C for me on my '20 Big Horn

RSConsulting

Reaction score
Not to rain on your parade but 58 out of the vent is horrible. Might be acceptable for you but it is at least 15 degrees higher then the competition or even the 4th gen Ram trucks.

All good brother - my parade is just fine. I stuck a thermometer in out of idle curiosity. I'm just fine with my A/C - got me through a blistering humid Fort Lauderdale summer in blissful comfort. I DO remote start the truck to get it cooled down some, before I walk out of the house. So I can't really remark on "cooldown time".

I don't judge by what the thermometer says - but what my body says. And it says ALL GOOD. A system that pumps out 40 degrees cooler than outside ambient works for me.

Not trying to argue here. Just sharing my perception. Some people may have actual A/C mechanical issues that aren't happy with their cabin temps. I'm just fine with mine.

Rick

Ram4Lou

Reaction score
All good brother - my parade is just fine. I stuck a thermometer in out of idle curiosity. I'm just fine with my A/C - got me through a blistering humid Fort Lauderdale summer in blissful comfort. I DO remote start the truck to get it cooled down some, before I walk out of the house. So I can't really remark on "cooldown time".

I don't judge by what the thermometer says - but what my body says. And it says ALL GOOD. A system that pumps out 40 degrees cooler than outside ambient works for me.

Not trying to argue here. Just sharing my perception. Some people may have actual A/C mechanical issues that aren't happy with their cabin temps. I'm just fine with mine.

Rick
Your a/c is sub-par by industry standards... 58 is horrible performance! You obviously have a naturally higher tolerance for warmer cabin conditions and are comfortable with an underperforming a/c system. Doesn’t matter what you say, the Ram system does not compare with its competitors. Like I mentioned earlier...I am 54 years old and have lived all my life in both New Orleans and Houston and have NEVER had a vehicle that had an a/c system that sucks like this Ram!!! Take your thermometer and try it in the vent to the left of your steering wheel and then compare it to the vent temperature on the center stack passenger vent. The blend door issue typically has higher temperatures coming out of the drivers door vent. When I did the hack, my drivers door vent dropped over 10 degrees!!! That is a very, very, common issue on these trucks. I test drove 5 of the trucks at my dealership and all of them had this same issue!!!!!

Ram4Lou

Reaction score
That’s good news! I wonder if this blend-door issue is only happening on the trucks with dual-zone climate control like mine?

Bearman95

Reaction score
I have dual zone, 2020 Laramie sport. It’s hot and humid in Texas. I’ve had my truck for a year and never had any problems with it. It will freeze you out if you put it on low. Always have to bring it back up to around 70°. If it’s been sitting out in the sun of course it’s going to be hot inside. When I get in I lower the windows for about five minutes while driving to let all the hot air out. Raise them and within five minutes it’s It’s nice and cool inside and I am a hot natured guy. I keep my home air conditioner around 72 sometimes 68 or 69. But I will say this. If I had the problems that some people seem to have, I would be finding me something else to drive!

dmodem

Reaction score
The differences in performance demonstrates the ****-poor build quality between Ram A/C systems.

rome5982

Reaction score
I have had my new 2020 Longhorn for a month now and the AC sucks! I am in south florida and every vehicle I have ever had and those I still have blow colder AC air than this truck does when both zones are on the lowest setting. I actually hear fans come on every now and then and blow hot air on the floor boards for about 10 seconds?? Something is not right....

It seems to keep up fine in the early morning and at night. But forget it in the middle of the day. AC hack here I come...

ColoradoCub

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That’s good news! I wonder if this blend-door issue is only happening on the trucks with dual-zone climate control like mine?

Nope, my first bighorn had the basic single zone HVAC and my current Laramie has dual zone, neither will blow less than 50 deg out of the vents.

MQQSE

Reaction score
The differences in performance demonstrates the ****-poor build quality between Ram A/C systems.
Not exactly true. I have a 2020 Ford F150 and a 2019 RAM Limited. My RAM Limited with the hack installed blows colder temps than my F150. So to be exact on the statement, maybe we could say, "the RAM AC system needs to be adjusted to be on par with the competition" The quality of the system is fine, they just need to sort out why the hot water is getting mixed into the cold portion of the valving. I think it would be an easy fix, maybe FCA did take care of it, just by reading some of the 2020 posts here.

dmodem

Reaction score
Not exactly true. I have a 2020 Ford F150 and a 2019 RAM Limited. My RAM Limited with the hack installed blows colder temps than my F150. So to be exact on the statement, maybe we could say, "the RAM AC system needs to be adjusted to be on par with the competition" The quality of the system is fine, they just need to sort out why the hot water is getting mixed into the cold portion of the valving. I think it would be an easy fix, maybe FCA did take care of it, just by reading some of the 2020 posts here.
My point is that some apparently work as-intended, and many (mine included) are either crap or need a hack installed to function comfortably. That shows an inconistent build quality that shouldn't have taken since the fall of '18 to address by Ram.

Users who are viewing this thread