5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

AC issues fixed for 2020???

Cannonball

Reaction score
... Basing a decision on other’s experiences, is, um, stupid.

So all the awards RAM either recieved or didn't are void because you didn't decide the winner yourself? I bet you don't watch YouTube, have an opinion on politics, or believe in Santa Claus either because you don't believe others and want to take over the world one test drive at a time!

giphy (1).gif

Ok that might have been a little too much. I guess I'm just stupid :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:(y)

No need to call names.

Checkairspeed

Reaction score
So all the awards RAM either recieved or didn't are void because you didn't decide the winner yourself? I bet you don't watch YouTube, have an opinion on politics, or believe in Santa Claus either because you don't believe others and want to take over the world one test drive at a time!

View attachment 42569

Ok that might have been a little too much. I guess I'm just stupid :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:(y)
Not calling you stupid. Stupid is as stupid does. The “stupid” comment is referring to a behavior, not necessarily an individual. If someone wants to make an expensive decision based only on what others say, without firsthand knowledge, well I dont know how else to label it. Nobody is talking about awards. A truck winning awards may make it one I would consider, but I wouldn’t purchase solely based on some automotive industry write up, especially if the media awarding it receives compensation from advertising said truck. And I do believe in Santa, Virginia!

Checkairspeed

Reaction score

View attachment 42569

That was a little too much... I do watch YouTube, it’s so I know what to believe without thinking for myself, and they have funny cat videos, but of course you knew that already.

DennisY

Reaction score
I'm waiting on a fix before I buy. Test drove a 2020 limited in October during 90+ degree weather and the AC didn't cut it. Of course I'm in Houston so humidity can be high. There are multiple threads (probably one of the longest in the forum), a hack, and numerous YouTube videos on this exact subject. The issue exists for a fair amount of owners regardless of what some of the flat-earthers here say. If Ram doesn't get it sorted out, I will seriously consider the new F-150 redesign when it comes out.

Mine worked just fine last summer, and we are regularly at 95-105 during the summer where I live.

ldoh

Reaction score
Due to so many viewer complaints and concerns, the TFL guys did an a/c video comparo that was about as apples to apples as one could do with a 2019 gen 5 and a F150 on a cloudy Colorado summer day and it wasn't close. As most report here, the a/c vent output temps were dissimilar.

firecadet613

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Due to so many viewer complaints and concerns, the TFL guys did an a/c video comparo that was about as apples to apples as one could do with a 2019 gen 5 and a F150 on a cloudy Colorado summer day and it wasn't close. As most report here, the a/c vent output temps were dissimilar.
I recall that video coming out... over a year after I bought my Ram. Fords blow cold, no denying that. 2 F150s and the wife's Explorer and Fusion prove that. Does the Ram's added features and fully functioning doors (when cold) outweigh the warmer A/C? You'll have to decide.

ldoh

Reaction score
And unfortunately, those rare dealers willing to attempt a fix only makes the problem worse. So far we are pretty much on our own with discomfort or added out of pocket costs (tinted windows, a/c hack).

firecadet613

Ram Guru
Reaction score
And unfortunately, those rare dealers willing to attempt a fix only makes the problem worse. So far we are pretty much on our own.
Rumor has it (what I was told over the summer), new HVAC programming was coming out 2019Q4. I haven't been back to check, but all I've gathered it hasn't come out.

After dealing with the frozen door lock fiasco on my F150, I'll wait until someone confirms a fix.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I recall that video coming out... over a year after I bought my Ram. Fords blow cold, no denying that. 2 F150s and the wife's Explorer and Fusion prove that. Does the Ram's added features and fully functioning doors (when cold) outweigh the warmer A/C? You'll have to decide.
I remember watching that video and being surprised that the Ram was within a degree or two of the Ford (cabin temp) despite much warmer vent temps. One thing’s certain...this “high flow volume” design is a lot more controversial than the traditional “as cold as possible” approach.

iamtheav8r

Reaction score
Rumor has it (what I was told over the summer), new HVAC programming was coming out 2019Q4. I haven't been back to check, but all I've gathered it hasn't come out.
This is the new norm. Because everything is software defined and most people don't understand how software works, the manufacturer's can now just keep pushing you off with zero effort. They float the rumor of a "software fix" and it keeps hope alive...all while they do nothing to correct 2 year old issues and hope you just give up.

Prove me wrong.

firecadet613

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This is the new norm. Because everything is software defined and most people don't understand how software works, the manufacturer's can now just keep pushing you off with zero effort. They float the rumor of a "software fix" and it keeps hope alive...all while they do nothing to correct 2 year old issues and hope you just give up.

Prove me wrong.
100% correct. And it's not just software. '15-'18 F150s have the door latch issue.... not sure if it was resolved in the '19s as I stopped following it after I sold that truck.

Thankfully my Ram works similar to TFL Truck video. Doesn't blow super cold but the end result is the same, so not sure I'll waste time on it.

Curious to see what Ford releases in a few months with the 2021 F150.

Jus Cruisin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
. Isn't that the truth! @Jus Cruisin how's your Ram doing?

All good. The only warranty claim was the exterior drivers door trim that was warped at time of delivery. About 25000 miles on it. Looking to replace the 22" Goodyears as they aren't too good in the snow. They weren't designed for it, for sure. I've gotten most of the mileage out of them. They'd get to 30000 but with the snow for the next couple months or so, I'm going to look for something more all-season plus go to a 305/45r22 at the same time.
There is nothing to complain about. Got it to 22mpg on one of the Florida to Michigan runs I made. It's in the mid-teens right now with all the idling to warm it up. Not liking the Michigan weather anymore than the Goodyear tires but ya gotta do what ya gotta do.....
Actually looking at buying an extended warranty (just in case) as I think I'll hang on to it a little longer than usual.

PostPremium

Reaction score
Nobody denies that some members feel their AC is adequate. Afterall, it is a totally subjective statement. To that end, what is adequate for some may not be adequate for others. What I haven't seen is those claiming their AC to be adequate posting pictures of their vent temps. The 2020 I test drove was not adequate for me. Photo attached comparing the 2020 to another vehicle I own.

Attachments

• 20191019_161235.jpg
    20191019_161235.jpg
    127.4 KB · Views: 36

airgas1998

Reaction score
and to add to this i'll be driving down the hwy with the heat set at 70 and all of a sudden it gets cool, and blows nowhere near 70 degs. so imo there is no question there's some kind of blend door issue...

Checkairspeed

Reaction score
Nobody denies that some members feel their AC is adequate. Afterall, it is a totally subjective statement. To that end, what is adequate for some may not be adequate for others. What I haven't seen is those claiming their AC to be adequate posting pictures of their vent temps. The 2020 I test drove was not adequate for me. Photo attached comparing the 2020 to another vehicle I own.
Don’t need to post pics of temp if it cools to a satisfactory degree. Also don’t care what the indicated temp reads, I either increase/decrease temp as needed. So far I haven’t encountered any temp (outside temp 20s to over 100) that I couldn‘t adjust to what I wanted. Posting pics of completely different vehicle temps proves what exactly? Nothing, except that different vehicles produce different readings. If the 2020 didn’t do it for you, thats fair. You don‘t have to purchase, that simple.

Users who are viewing this thread