5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

AC draining into front passenger floorboard

emptyfly1

Reaction score
Hello, new to the site. 2021 Ram 1500 Air Conditioner drains into the front floorboard instead of through the firewall. 2400 miles on the truck. I can feel air coming out of drain and the occasional drip of water, but virtually all water is draining into the front passenger floorboard. With the truck idling and A/C on, I can watch the water rolling down from under the black rubber mat that goes up the firewall. Anybody hacked this problem on a new truck. Thanks. IMG_2356 2.jpg IMG_2352 2.JPG

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Some people with early 2019 builds were seeing this, but it hasn't been a common issue since then. As much as I hate doing it, I'd suggest you take it to your dealership and have them fix it. I suspect you'll have to tear into your HVAC system to reconnect a drain tube.

41magmag41

Reaction score
or check outside, the drain plug hose may be plugged or kinked. run a coat up into, may clear the thing, bug,

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Hello, new to the site. 2021 Ram 1500 Air Conditioner drains into the front floorboard instead of through the firewall. 2400 miles on the truck. I can feel air coming out of drain and the occasional drip of water, but virtually all water is draining into the front passenger floorboard. With the truck idling and A/C on, I can watch the water rolling down from under the black rubber mat that goes up the firewall. Anybody hacked this problem on a new truck. Thanks. View attachment 107263 View attachment 107264
Hi emptyfly1,
We're sorry to hear you're experiencing this. We'd suggest visiting your local dealer for diagnosis of your concerns. If you'd like any additional assistance alongside them, feel free to send us a PM. We'd be happy to help.

Sarah
Ram Cares

firemedic10584

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If you would have done a search, I made a thread on this for my 2021. Had the exact same issue. It's the drain tube for the AC. Dealer unclogged it for me and the problem was solved. Go have them clear out the drain tube then just put a fan in your truck for the night with the carpets up and let it all dry out real well.

firemedic10584

Ram Guru
Reaction score
or check outside, the drain plug hose may be plugged or kinked. run a coat up into, may clear the thing, bug,
My dealer had to use an air compressor from the inside blowing it all out. I tried the coat hanger prior to going to my dealer but didn't do anything. Once they cleared mine out, no further issues.

Reactions: c3k

emptyfly1

Reaction score
Some people with early 2019 builds were seeing this, but it hasn't been a common issue since then. As much as I hate doing it, I'd suggest you take it to your dealership and have them fix it. I suspect you'll have to tear into your HVAC system to reconnect a drain tube.
Thanks and that's what's happening now. Took a couple days to find an appointment that's not 3 weeks out. I'll update as I get more info.

emptyfly1

Reaction score
My dealer had to use an air compressor from the inside blowing it all out. I tried the coat hanger prior to going to my dealer but didn't do anything. Once they cleared mine out, no further issues.
Did they have to disassemble your A/C box from the inside? I'm not looking forward to having the inside of my truck taken apart.

emptyfly1

Reaction score

emptyfly1

Reaction score
Update: I blew back through the firewall AC drain with an air gun at the Dealer's suggestion. It did not fix the leak as I was able to see fresh water draining back into floorpan on front passenger side underneath the carpet again. However, the drain is working. Always has. It just leaks in floorpan as well.

Question: Do you guys/gals think it's possible that water is running back along the bottom of the small drain pipe coming through the firewall and simply running down the inside of the floorpan? If so, would it be possible to simple smear a bead of silicone sealant along the bottom of the drain to stop the water from running back through the hole where the drain comes through? I would think there's a seal that covers that hole from the inside, but maybe that's what's missing or misplaced?

Fire away! and Thanks.

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I'd give that a try if it were me. As long as the drain on the firewall is in fact working there shouldn't be an issue. I'm just not sure you'll be able to effectively seal it that way.

Just be aware that the dealer may say that it's no longer covered under warranty if you mess with it.

emptyfly1

Reaction score
I'd give that a try if it were me. As long as the drain on the firewall is in fact working there shouldn't be an issue. I'm just not sure you'll be able to effectively seal it that way.

Just be aware that the dealer may say that it's no longer covered under warranty if you mess with it.
With regards to the Dealer, that may be true.

I'm gonna pull back the inner fender liner and see if I can get a small mirror in there and go from there. I may be able to use a squirt bottle with colored water and see if I can get the water to run back through the firewall. If that's the case, I think I've found my problem. I'll attempt to put a piece of hose and a clamp on the drain to run it away from firewall and further down. I've heard that solution on other threads. Odd diameter drain as well.

firemedic10584

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Did they have to disassemble your A/C box from the inside? I'm not looking forward to having the inside of my truck taken apart.
I'm not sure exactly how they accomplished clearing it out. I just know they used compressed air and cleared the tube. They did say there was in fact gunk in it and just came from the factory that way somehow. But, I'd just let them do it. I don't like people working on my truck either, but they did fix the issue for me and I've been dry ever since. My AC also works real well. Idk if that had anything to do with it or not, but I know a lot of folks have problems with their AC not blowing cold. I actually have to turn mine down sometimes and I'm normally always hot lol.

Ldc2335

Reaction score
With regards to the Dealer, that may be true.

I'm gonna pull back the inner fender liner and see if I can get a small mirror in there and go from there. I may be able to use a squirt bottle with colored water and see if I can get the water to run back through the firewall. If that's the case, I think I've found my problem. I'll attempt to put a piece of hose and a clamp on the drain to run it away from firewall and further down. I've heard that solution on other threads. Odd diameter drain as well.
Mine wasn't leaking, but because of all the talk about it, I put this on there.

These are 5/8"

a5cf42c07c2c473ef1b74e03071e1196.jpg
551c2e3b282c0ceaad2a523bc95cc68d.jpg

Sent from my Galaxy S21 Ultra using Tapatalk

emptyfly1

Reaction score
I'm not sure exactly how they accomplished clearing it out. I just know they used compressed air and cleared the tube. They did say there was in fact gunk in it and just came from the factory that way somehow. But, I'd just let them do it. I don't like people working on my truck either, but they did fix the issue for me and I've been dry ever since. My AC also works real well. Idk if that had anything to do with it or not, but I know a lot of folks have problems with their AC not blowing cold. I actually have to turn mine down sometimes and I'm normally always hot lol.
I did try the airgun, but it didn't seem to solve this issue on my truck.

Users who are viewing this thread