5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

AC draining into front passenger floorboard

emptyfly1

Reaction score
Mine wasn't leaking, but because of all the talk about it, I put this on there.

These are 5/8"

a5cf42c07c2c473ef1b74e03071e1196.jpg
551c2e3b282c0ceaad2a523bc95cc68d.jpg

Sent from my Galaxy S21 Ultra using Tapatalk
This is exactly what I've been looking for. Thanks!

emptyfly1

Reaction score
We got updates...

I was able to slide a small piece of garden hose over the drain on the engine side of firewall and then drove the truck running errands for several hours without any leaks. I believe this has stopped the water from running back inside the cab along the bottom of the drain pipe. The simplest solution is usually the best solution.

I haven't done anything permanent to alter the vehicle in any way. I haven't taken anything apart or damaged/altered/changed or deleted anything! Just want to make that clear for any legal minds that might be lurking. ;)

firemedic10584

Ram Guru
Reaction score
We got updates...

I was able to slide a small piece of garden hose over the drain on the engine side of firewall and then drove the truck running errands for several hours without any leaks. I believe this has stopped the water from running back inside the cab along the bottom of the drain pipe. The simplest solution is usually the best solution.

I haven't done anything permanent to alter the vehicle in any way. I haven't taken anything apart or damaged/altered/changed or deleted anything! Just want to make that clear for any legal minds that might be lurking. ;)
I guess I'm just confused as to how putting a hose or elbow on the firewall side of the drain tube fixes it? If the water is coming from inside the truck and making its way out...how does something on the end of the tube stop it from coming back inside the truck? The water has to make it out of the drain tube and down the hose or elbow to drip to the ground right? So if it doesn't make it that far and sloshes back inside, how is that fixing it?

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I guess I'm just confused as to how putting a hose or elbow on the firewall side of the drain tube fixes it? If the water is coming from inside the truck and making its way out...how does something on the end of the tube stop it from coming back inside the truck? The water has to make it out of the drain tube and down the hose or elbow to drip to the ground right? So if it doesn't make it that far and sloshes back inside, how is that fixing it?
Think of the water like a line of ants. It exits out the tube, "crawls" around the bottom of the tube opening, and runs back inside the cab along the under-side of the drain tube. The surface tension of water allows it to cling to the tube in this way. Adding a hose to the drain tube prevents this from happening.

firemedic10584

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Think of the water like a line of ants. It exits out the tube, "crawls" around the bottom of the tube opening, and runs back inside the cab along the under-side of the drain tube. The surface tension of water allows it to cling to the tube in this way. Adding a hose to the drain tube prevents this from happening.
AHhhhh I see what yall are saying now. That made more sense. I was picturing the water just going to the edge of the tube and not quite exiting the tube but instead just rolling back inside the tube back into the cab and causing the leak from there. This made better sense to me lol

Mopar_maxi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
We got updates...

Try the 5/8” elbow that was posted on here and report back if it’s solved the “leak”

emptyfly1

Reaction score
Try the 5/8” elbow that was posted on here and report back if it’s solved the “leak”
I did order the 5/8" elbows on the Jungle website. With the EcoDiesel emissions, it's a tight fit to get one on. Right now, still running a piece of garden hose on the drain because it's got a thinner sidewall and much more pliable, especially with a little heat. Either way, the "drain extender" seemed to have fixed the problem. Thanks for the help and the elbows.

firemedic10584

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I did order the 5/8" elbows on the Jungle website. With the EcoDiesel emissions, it's a tight fit to get one on. Right now, still running a piece of garden hose on the drain because it's got a thinner sidewall and much more pliable, especially with a little heat. Either way, the "drain extender" seemed to have fixed the problem. Thanks for the help and the elbows.
I put a piece of wire loom with a zip tie on mine - has worked perfect ever since lol.

Users who are viewing this thread