5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A/T that can also handle snow???

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So my stock tires are Wrangler all seasons. While they seem to do just fine on road (like most of them) I'd like a good all terrain tire that I can do some moderate off roading with and can also handle a few inches of snow...we usually take a trip up to MT. Charleston every winter and that place gets some serious snow storms. Anyone have experience with the type I'm looking for..?

Greenchevette

Reaction score
*Most* A/T tires are branded for winter use. I'm one season on General Grabber AT/Xs with no issues here in PA. Plenty of good info on Tirerack.com. Good luck!

MayhemMOORE

Ram Guru
Reaction score
On my Titans I stuck with the Terra Grapplers. Got nearly 70K out of one of the sets (pre-G2) with 5K mile rotations. They handled everything but heavy mud exceptionally well in my experience. I'm debating going with them again on the Ram or trying something else this time.

Finn5033

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Count me in as another huge supporter of the Falken Wildpeak AT/3. Best tires I’ve ever used in the snow that aren‘t a dedicated winter tire. I am currently running some Pathfinder A/T’s that impressed me in the snow and ice last year. I bought an RV fish house last fall so they got a lot of use on the lakes last winter. They are a discount tire exclusive and from what I’ve read they are basically Hankook Dynapro ATM’s. Worst ones I ever had for snow and ice were BFG Rugged Terrains.

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Definitely appreciate the input guys. I also noticed a couple others on discount tire but couldn't find any solid reviews...
Cooper Discoverer..?
TrailFinder A/T...?
I should point out that I'm basically looking for the Do-All tire which can also handle highway driving in the Vegas summer heat too. The Wildpeaks do seem nice too though.

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Oh and Yokohama Geolander was another that seemed to get pretty good reviews. But that's all I know about them...

Billy James

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Definitely appreciate the input guys. I also noticed a couple others on discount tire but couldn't find any solid reviews...
Cooper Discoverer..?
TrailFinder A/T...?
I should point out that I'm basically looking for the Do-All tire which can also handle highway driving in the Vegas summer heat too. The Wildpeaks do seem nice too though.
Cooper Discoverer AT3 XLT seems popular with a lot of people here; it seems like a good tire. I only recommended Falken Wildpeak AT3/W because I have actually had them on a truck and they were awesome tires in all weather. I know someone here mentioned Nitto Terra Grappler; I had them once and couldn't get rid of them fast enough due to the awful wet traction and hydroplaning. I'm getting ready to get new tires myself (at Discount Tire) and will be getting either Falken Wildpeak AT3/W, Continental Terrain Contact A/T, or Pirelli Scorpion All Terrain Plus. I leaning heavy on the Pirelli if I decide to go with a 275/60 or 65 R 20. I'll have to get the Falken or the Continental if I want larger than that.

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Cooper Discoverer AT3 XLT seems popular with a lot of people here; it seems like a good tire. I only recommended Falken Wildpeak AT3/W because I have actually had them on a truck and they were awesome tires in all weather. I know someone here mentioned Nitto Terra Grappler; I had them once and couldn't get rid of them fast enough due to the awful wet traction and hydroplaning. I'm getting ready to get new tires myself (at Discount Tire) and will be getting either Falken Wildpeak AT3/W, Continental Terrain Contact A/T, or Pirelli Scorpion All Terrain Plus. I leaning heavy on the Pirelli if I decide to go with a 275/60 or 65 R 20. I'll have to get the Falken or the Continental if I want larger than that.
I was looking at the Scorpion tires too actually, they're a little pricey but seem decent. Have you checked into the Falken Rubitrek tires? Supposedly they're similar to the Wildpeaks but offer a smoother on-road ride...

dutchman187

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm considering the Continental Terrain Contact A/T. Dealer says it is by far the most popular choice they have people get and have heard good things. Good reviews on TireRack. I want the best highway ride, but some modest snow/mud/dirt capabilities. Ill be interested in what you end up with and how you like them.

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm considering the Continental Terrain Contact A/T. Dealer says it is by far the most popular choice they have people get and have heard good things. Good reviews on TireRack. I want the best highway ride, but some modest snow/mud/dirt capabilities. Ill be interested in what you end up with and how you like them.
I'm leaning towards either the Falkens or Nexens for now. Might not get them until close to September since my current all seasons are still perfectly fine giving me good gas mileage lol.

Billy James

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I was looking at the Scorpion tires too actually, they're a little pricey but seem decent. Have you checked into the Falken Rubitrek tires? Supposedly they're similar to the Wildpeaks but offer a smoother on-road ride...
I didn't hear of the Rubitrek until you mentioned it. I found a post on a Tacoma forum with a reply from Falken, it reads; "'Thank you for contacting Falken Tire
Between the Rubitrek and WildPeak AT3W both tires perform the same, the WildPeak AT3W is more aggressive tread and sidewall pattern. Rubitrek is quieter and has a lower UTQG rating (600AB vs 660AB). The Rubitrek is only available to certain dealers so it might be a little harder to find. Both have a 55k mileage warranty, 30 Day Ride and limited road hazard warranty if purchased 2019." So, the part that would keep me from buying the Rubitrek is that "it's only available to certain dealers so it might be a little harder to find"...that's a deal breaker for me. I would hate to buy a set of tires, get damage to a tire, and then not be able to find a replacement.
I think that I spend WAY too much time researching tires; but it's a lot of money and I want to make a good choice. I have been disappointed by expensive tires in the past and it really sucks. Keep in mind the weight of a tire as well. Some of those LT tires are pretty heavy. Good luck with your search. I don't know if you noticed, there is a $100 rebate on four Continental Terrain Contact A/Ts right now.

dutchman187

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm leaning towards either the Falkens or Nexens for now. Might not get them until close to September since my current all seasons are still perfectly fine giving me good gas mileage lol.
Ha, I've gone two winters on my current tires and I'm at 15 or 16K miles overall. I'll probably wait another year before I decide to buy some A/T. I'll be watching and reading everyone else's experience in the meantime to help decide!

Doc33

Reaction score
Oh and Yokohama Geolander was another that seemed to get pretty good reviews. But that's all I know about them...
I am running the Yokohama geolander GO15 AT tire now, 275/65/20 and happy so far. Quieter than the Goodyear duratrac on the highway and they are winter rated as well but I have not used in the snow yet. One downfall I noticed is they hold small stones in the tread.

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Ha, I've gone two winters on my current tires and I'm at 15 or 16K miles overall. I'll probably wait another year before I decide to buy some A/T. I'll be watching and reading everyone else's experience in the meantime to help decide!
Oh I'll still keep my current tires for next summer. I do the off roading and the snowy Mt. Charleston visit in the Fall/winter. So I'll probably buy some extra rims for the new tires. No tires wasted on my end lol

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I didn't hear of the Rubitrek until you mentioned it. I found a post on a Tacoma forum with a reply from Falken, it reads; "'Thank you for contacting Falken Tire
Between the Rubitrek and WildPeak AT3W both tires perform the same, the WildPeak AT3W is more aggressive tread and sidewall pattern. Rubitrek is quieter and has a lower UTQG rating (600AB vs 660AB). The Rubitrek is only available to certain dealers so it might be a little harder to find. Both have a 55k mileage warranty, 30 Day Ride and limited road hazard warranty if purchased 2019." So, the part that would keep me from buying the Rubitrek is that "it's only available to certain dealers so it might be a little harder to find"...that's a deal breaker for me. I would hate to buy a set of tires, get damage to a tire, and then not be able to find a replacement.
I think that I spend WAY too much time researching tires; but it's a lot of money and I want to make a good choice. I have been disappointed by expensive tires in the past and it really sucks. Keep in mind the weight of a tire as well. Some of those LT tires are pretty heavy. Good luck with your search. I don't know if you noticed, there is a $100 rebate on four Continental Terrain Contact A/Ts right now.
Oooo that's a good point....not being able to find a replacement. Is that rebate only good for if you buy directly from Continental? You're making them sound better and better hehe.

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I am running the Yokohama geolander GO15 AT tire now, 275/65/20 and happy so far. Quieter than the Goodyear duratrac on the highway and they are winter rated as well but I have not used in the snow yet. One downfall I noticed is they hold small stones in the tread.
They seem pretty decent, although holding small stones might be a deal breaker since I'm in the desert lol

T-Boned-Tony

Reaction score
Falken Wildpeak A/T3W is probably my favorite out of all that I've used. Fantastic tires.
Completely agree. These came with my truck last year, went through AB winter and they are absolutely amazing in snow. Loads of grip. I don't think I'll be able to find a better tire. I'll keep buying them when they wear out.

Aykillah

Reaction score
FWIW, North Editions come with the Falken Wildpeak AT3s. I have them and love them.

Users who are viewing this thread