5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A huge "Thank you!" and happy trails!

BmoreStew

Reaction score
Just upgraded to a 2500 diesel this morning; traded in the 1500. I LOVED my 1500 so much... spent so much time ($$$$) tweaking and modding the thing; it really was the perfect truck so far as I'm concerned. BUT the payload was only 1250lbs and that just wasn't cutting it. I've been spoiled by the top trim, so stepping down far enough for a meaningful payload upgrade wasn't going to happen. Enter the 2022 RAM 2500 Limited. Only 2030lbs payload, but that 800 additional pounds will be enough to cover almost any bumper tow travel trailer and my family, which is all I'm in need of.

Anyway, if you're a new owner, this forum is THE BEST PLACE to get tips, tricks, and inspiration for blowing MASSIVE amounts of cash. I can't say enough good things about the folks who run this forum and it's members... I'm not the most active member around, but I check the site out multiple times a day and it's been a huge help! Thanks everybody!

If you're thinking about an "upgrade" here's what I can tell you. The new HD Rams are a step down on everything behind the driver's seat. The cab is 4th gen with a 5th gen interior crammed inside. Sounds like I'm knocking it, I know, but in the driver's seat it's very nearly identical to the 1500 and since the driver doesn't often sit in the backseat, I'm not all that concerned about losing a few inches of rear passenger room. Here's my quick review of the 2500 and 3500 from the POV of a 1500 owner:

The interior and exterior of both the 2500 and 3500 are identical, so the following applies to both: there's 5 inches less room in the back row! and it's not that big a deal. I'm 6'3" and can still fit in the backseat behind my own driver's seat without my knees making contact with the front seat. the rear passenger area doesn't have that 1st class feel of the 1500, but it's alright. Otherwise the interior of the HD trucks is nearly identical to the 1500, with the exception of the doors and steering wheel, which are very nice, but are obviously of older design than the current 5th gen rams (.com). I suspect that the seats are a little narrower as well, but I think they might actually be a bit more comfortable for me (6'3" 190lbs).

There's a mega cab option which very nearly matches the 1500 in interior space, but at the cost of payload.

On the Exterior the truck is just a little taller and not quite as wide as a 1500. The bed walls aren't as tall either, which is nice in that I can reach over them more easily. The steering radius of the HD trucks is a little tighter too and I like the feeling of the steering more.

If you think you may tow a 5th wheel skip the 2500. If you think you might tow up grade, skip the 6.4L gas. If you go with the 2500 Cummins, don't get the mega cab.. just get a 1500 with air suspension! you're likely to have a similar amount of payload and those air bags allow for some great towing performance.

2500: The suspension is sooooo good! Not quite stock 1500 good, but its coils all around (or coils up front and air in the back, optionaly) and so it's damn close. It feels a bit more floaty in the corners, but otherwise, I was very impressed. The 2500 doesn't have a huge upgrade in in payload, but trim to trim between the 1500 and 2500, there's a big enough gap to justify the "HD" moniker. The majority of the largest travel trailers are around 1000lbs of tongue weight, dry, and so a 3/4 ton will probably do you with 800 to 2k lbs to spare, depending on engine, trim, and options.

3500: I test drove a HO Cummins with an 8' bed and airbags in the rear. I'll always be jealous of the 3500 payload, but the ride was very stiff. That's not a surprise, I know, and it's notably smoother than HD trucks from 20+ years ago, but coming from a 1500, I just couldn't imagine it as my daily driver. If you're gonna tow heavy, are thinking of buying a 5th wheel, or really want the space of the mega cab, I think the 3500, with either diesel, is the way to go.

squid013

Reaction score
The gas engine gets another 5-700lbs payload in the 2500 because the 6.4 weighs that much less than the cummins

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Johnny_H

Reaction score
Honestly this was a great review for a lot of guys around here wondering if they need to step up to a 2500, well done.

I’m happy with my 1500 for now but if life changes and I’m seriously looking at another 500-1000lb payload needs this is great real world info. Since my truck is basically our family hauler I’m not ready to sacrifice the comfort…but maybe some day!

Keep us posted on your new ride and enjoy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Otherwise the interior of the HD trucks is nearly identical to the 1500, with the exception of the doors and steering wheel,

The interior is what pushed me into the 1500 when I was shopping.

I couldn’t quite get comfortable in the 2500. The lack of adjustable foot pedals and telescoping steering wheel ended up being a deal breaker with the bucket seats. Not an issue with the bench seat

ayoslickxd

Ram Guru
Reaction score
im thinking of geting a dually with tow package ( has technology for towing like trailer brakes ) idk if i wanna get single cab 8 foot bed or crew cab 6.4 bed

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
im thinking of geting a dually with tow package ( has technology for towing like trailer brakes ) idk if i wanna get single cab 8 foot bed or crew cab 6.4 bed
If you are getting a dually...your only choice is 8 foot bed.

Unless you get a Mega Cab

BmoreStew

Reaction score
ok, having put some more miles on the 2500, something that I cant help to compare against the 1500 is ride. The 2500 is definitely not as smooth as the 1500, and I ran on LT tires at 65psi on the 1/2 ton with a level. The ride on the 2500 is very very good for an hd truck, but its not as close as I had thought driving it off the lot. What really surprises me though, where the 2500 beats the 1500, is lean in the corners. Where the hellwig sway bar is a must buy on the 1500, the 2500 is good to go stock.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread