5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A few ReadyLift questions

ksn240

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I know back when I had my gen 4 ram, i put a 2.5" lift on it. Stock tires were around 32" or so. Afternlift I put on some 295's which are roughly 33". It did change my mpg. Not horrible tho. I think once you deviate from manufacturers stock size, even if you go 1 size bigger, it affects the mpg.
It definitely takes a hit. You also have to think about your speedometer not being calibrated though. You are traveling a further distance due to the tire being larger. The drop isn't as bad if you take this into consideration and recalibrate.

Roddog2220

Reaction score
The lift should affect mpg that much. FCA did put a lot of time into the affects of aerodynamics on mpg. I drove nearly 3000 miles with factory wheels and tires with negligible change in mileage.

Now when you change tire diameter this in turns changes your wheels speed vs actual speed. Since the computer uses fuel consumption, wheel speed, engine rpm and transmission output to calculate mpg your reading isn’t your actual MPG.

A 275/65r20 is a “34” tire and will more than change your wheel speed input.

just so I follow, your saying a 3 half inch lift will change the mpg that much? like 4 mpg, mind you almost all my driving is in the city

for me so far the lift changed the mpg much more than the tires, I didn't go wider though

wthomps79

Reaction score
Ok so all the talk about top spacers and preload spacers has me thinking. Ready Lifts kit uses both, but the preload spacer basically makes you lose drop on the shocks. Why not just go to a single taller top spacer? You would maintain the original range of travel of the shock and it would be easier to install since you wouldn’t need a spring compressor. I know Motofab has a 3.0” spacer.

Tstevenson325

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
Ok so all the talk about top spacers and preload spacers has me thinking. Ready Lifts kit uses both, but the preload spacer basically makes you lose drop on the shocks. Why not just go to a single taller top spacer? You would maintain the original range of travel of the shock and it would be easier to install since you wouldn’t need a spring compressor. I know Motofab has a 3.0” spacer.
So, the reason ReadyLIFT does both is because when you add a top strut spacer you’re essentially making the strut longer. Since the strut is the limiting factor on your suspension if you made the top spacer too tall you would over extend the brake lines, abs wires, create cv angle issues, and possibly bind ball joint and tie rod ends.

I’m not certain how Motofab is getting 3.0” of loft out of just a top spacer. It maybe that they are taking it to the ragged edge and assuming people will never use their trucks for more than pavement. It is possible that it isn’t actually 3.0” and just close.

Tstevenson325

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
just so I follow, your saying a 3 half inch lift will change the mpg that much? like 4 mpg, mind you almost all my driving is in the city

for me so far the lift changed the mpg much more than the tires, I didn't go wider though
No, I’m saying a lift should not create that much of a difference. Tires are far more likely to create a change in MPG.

Roddog2220

Reaction score
No, I’m saying a lift should not create that much of a difference. Tires are far more likely to create a change in MPG.

ah, well in my case so far that has not been the case, the lift changed it 3=4 mpg almost immediate and tires have not changed it enough to make a diff, but like I said im 95 percent city so its hard to tell, what is really pissing me off is when it says I have 8 miles to empty then it holds 20-21 gallons, have to take it in and get that looked at heard its an issue, just now waiting for something else to go wrong so I can take care of that as well lol

Killerbee

Reaction score
I have a question. I have the offroad package. I called readylift and they told me if I am over 22 inches then not to install the preload spacer. Well my truck measures exactly 22.5 inches. I am afraid that If I do not install the preload I will have too much rake with the 2 inch rear spacer. I was happy that I would not be compressing the spring because of my longer shocks and would keep the factory ride.

It sounds like the end game will be around 25.5 inches if you install the the whole kit on a non ORP trucks. With my ORP and just the top hat I will be at 24.5????

Thank you

VaderRebel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
1. If you are using the tophat strut spacer, you will lose a bit of the factory ride comfort. There's not a big difference, I prefer it actually, it's just more firm.

2. The preload spacer has been mentioned as a no-no for Off Road optioned trucks from the getgo.

3. In order to reduce rake, you need a slightly taller spacer to compensate for the lift in the rear. Motofab 2.5 spacers give you an actual 2.5 lift which will get you to 25". The RL tophat only gets you just over 1.5" in actual lift.

Hope that helps you move forward.

Killerbee

Reaction score
Okay. So basically i will have 1.5 to 1.75 of rake with using the whole readylift kit minus the preload spacer?

Has anyone confirmed yet whether the angles of the ORP''s UCA has the same angle as the readylift?Or would we have to buy the readylift Uca with the 2 or 2.5 inch top hat??

ksn240

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Okay. So basically i will have 1.5 to 1.75 of rake with using the whole readylift kit minus the preload spacer?

Has anyone confirmed yet whether the angles of the ORP''s UCA has the same angle as the readylift?Or would we have to buy the readylift Uca with the 2 or 2.5 inch top hat??
The UCA on the offroad package is the exact same as a non offroad package truck. If you are going to level it, I would buy new UCAs.

ksn240

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Does the Mopar 2 inch UCA have the same angle as the readylift???
No. I believe the angle actually looks the exact same, but the ball joint is supposed to be different and have a higher range of motion.

Magnum9999

Reaction score
Ok completely installed and drove around the neighborhood to get it settled. Fender lip to center wheel is 25.75" ish.
I recently installed the same Readylift kit on my truck.
I am having issues when I make hard left hand or right hand turns the spindle rubs up against the coil spring.
Do you happen to have any similar issues?
IMG_7642.JPG
IMG_7643.JPG

JBeckman

Reaction score
I am having issues when I make hard left hand or right hand turns the spindle rubs up against the coil spring.
View attachment 12526
View attachment 12527

That's not good bud. I have not noticed any rub or issues at all. I will climb under there and verify for you.

JBeckman

Reaction score
View attachment 12526
View attachment 12527

I just went and looked. I have at least a inch or so room between the spindle and coil spring.

When you installed your kit, did you tighten the UCA and strut base bolt at full extension?

I noticed when I installed my kit, it did rub. But I loosely tightened said bolts, then drove around the block. To get the suspension to settle. Then crawled under it and torqued town strut bolt and UCA bolts through wheel well. With the tires on the ground.

Users who are viewing this thread