5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A Dead RAM, a dishonest dealer, and a disheartened owner

ac1dd

Reaction score
So for the price of a battery they lost a customer. Smart.

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 045255 miles.

The truth is that most dealerships today really don't give a hoot about the customer regarless, customer service is a distant memory.

However to the OP , just on principle alone I would have gone back there with the test from O'Reilys and
made them cough up a new battery, heck make these lazy farks work, they are getting paid to provide some customer service, and usually things like battery tests, and such are done by the parts department and the employee is hourly, so whether they work or not they are getting paid. What a disgrace.

squid013

Reaction score
Here is the deal, even my 09 and my 99 acted stupid with a dying battery. Its not the fault of the manufacturer, my wife's 12 honda is the same. Much of it has to do with the draconian lawys the manufacturer has to deal woth in emissions and other items that are all computer monitored and controlled. Most oem batteries are 24 or 36 month bstteries at best. That dealer however may be an issue.b in general you dont have to remove the battery to test it. Most testers are portable and cna be hooked up in vehicle. The fact that they didn't dont find a problem is something else. If you are concerned, call up customer care and talk to them about the dealer

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
Here is the deal, even my 09 and my 99 acted stupid with a dying battery. Its not the fault of the manufacturer, my wife's 12 honda is the same. Much of it has to do with the draconian lawys the manufacturer has to deal woth in emissions and other items that are all computer monitored and controlled. Most oem batteries are 24 or 36 month bstteries at best. That dealer however may be an issue.b in general you dont have to remove the battery to test it. Most testers are portable and cna be hooked up in vehicle. The fact that they didn't dont find a problem is something else. If you are concerned, call up customer care and talk to them about the dealer
Exactly right my friend. I bought this one and it's excellent and it performs a very comprehensive test on both the battery and the full charging system. It was worth it to me to have just so I can check all of my vehicles periodically.

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Batteries are weird. My factory Ford SUV battery lasted 6 years, and I was in Phoenix for 3 of those. All I did was charge it during the last 3 years, when I remembered to. Just a factory Motorcraft, and it was the smaller of the 2 that were offered.

I replaced it with the bigger series battery from Walmart and it failed (was replaced) within 3 months. The replacement was fine but sheesh, you get a good one then you get a bad one, just cannot tell.

silver64

Ram Guru
Reaction score
One thing many dont realize or know about batteries is that they are not very tolerant of vibration or being handled roughly. If a clerk in Wally world slings them on the rack, drops them or anything like that they can instantly become a problem. You can very easily ruin a battery by mishandling. This includes a factory installed battery. It could have been mishandled and caused a crack in one of the cells that just took a few road bumps to show up.

A-TEAM

Reaction score
My neighbors 19 Ram with 50k on the dial started acting all funky like this, would not start, would start, needed a jump in the morning etc. took it to oreilys and it passed a battery draw test. I told him that was ******** and it needed a battery. He was skeptical but the next morning it wouldn’t start and i put a multimeter on it and it was showing 9volts. That’s absolutely toasted in lead acid starting battery world. He decided to take my advice and put a new battery in and it fixed everything, no issues no lights back to normal. Computers hate low/weak batteries and will do some funky stuff when they get below 10v because thats the lower threshold for many electrical components. Also I replaced the battery in my old truck with a northstar agm battery and its going on 8 years now still going strong.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
My neighbors 19 Ram with 50k on the dial started acting all funky like this, would not start, would start, needed a jump in the morning etc. took it to oreilys and it passed a battery draw test. I told him that was ******** and it needed a battery. He was skeptical but the next morning it wouldn’t start and i put a multimeter on it and it was showing 9volts. That’s absolutely toasted in lead acid starting battery world. He decided to take my advice and put a new battery in and it fixed everything, no issues no lights back to normal. Computers hate low/weak batteries and will do some funky stuff when they get below 10v because thats the lower threshold for many electrical components. Also I replaced the battery in my old truck with a northstar agm battery and its going on 8 years now still going strong.
You just can’t beat a NORTHSTAR battery!

Users who are viewing this thread