5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A Comprehensive Guide to Towing with the 2019 RAM 1500 - Everything You Need to Know!

Johnvan

Reaction score
I am not getting in tothe specifics, we do that in many other threads.

But look at it like this. You have a 13000 lb reciever, a 10000lb weight distribution hitch, you only bought a 7500lb ball and you bought the 3.21, so all you can really tow is 6250 lbs.

Note:all numbers and options are hypothetical, not actual or expressed.

It isn't the best number or part...it is your lowest rating...

You can by a Ram 4500...but it if you only buy a 3500lb ball, that's all ya got.

I absolutely agree. I'm not suggesting that we exceed a number that was derived from actual engineering and structural testing. For your hypothetical hitch ball I can see that the number came from SAE J684, my axle rating SAE J2200, my tow rating SAE J2807, my tire SAE J918 etc...

All I can find for the GVWR is that it is set by the manufacturer and can't exceed any of the other ratings and that they are free to under rate it. I like to have a deeper understanding of the numbers, not just accept them at face value. I guarantee that any large fleet commercial operator of planes, trains, trucks etc. will question published numbers as well if it impacts profitability.

Why is it 7100lbs? They can't make it 8000lbs (3900+4100) because you'll have guys loading a ton of stuff in the bed and not realizing they've exceeded the RAWR. They can't even come up with a special number for Weight Distribution use because there are too many variables with how it's setup and what type it is.

I'm comfortable exceeding the GVWR as long as I stay below the axle ratings since those numbers are meaningful for my application. As far as the urban legends go; it's not illegal, it won't void my warranty, my insurance will still pay out and I won't be sued. I've yet to find a single example of any of these things happening.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Then I guess you have it figured out. I never looked at it that way at all.

I can honestly say I have only heard about people losing insurance coverage and given at fault for a crash that otherwise wouldn't have beentheir fault...because I have never been involved...but i have seen the scales send plenty a weekend camper to atleast a large fine, and their presence is only growing.

But if you go to my thread about the years of Ram 1500...and look at the GVWR over the years...and also look at ththe differences in 2500 to 1500 you will see a trend.

Since the new 5th gen lost some weight...that means it has more payload...it was the new axles...but mainly the biggest brakes it allowed...to raise the GVWR.

So...the limiting factor is almost 100 percent the braking system.

Suspension/axles give you the 1500, 2500, 3500...but it is definitely braking systems and frame setup that have rocketed the Rams higher on GVWR

Very anxious to hear if, when you get your setup, you could goto a scale and let us know how it worked out.

Thanks for a different outlook. Hope that works out for you, and then we can revise our threads about this.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
And do please remember to get all your hitching equipment the right ratings...that is a big surprise mistake for sure.

Johnvan

Reaction score
I plan to do everything very safely. I'll hit the scales in the spring and see what happens. I'll post my results in a couple of months. 2000 mile road trip coming up at Easter and will likely be above the GVWR by a couple of hundred pounds.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I plan to do everything very safely. I'll hit the scales in the spring and see what happens. I'll post my results in a couple of months. 2000 mile road trip coming up at Easter and will likely be above the GVWR by a couple of hundred pounds.
You have obviously put alot of thought, into this...we camp alot at different places across out state...you sir are in the minority. Thanks for a differnt outlook...I will be researching this a different way now.

Anxious for Spring and Camping...and to hear your results. Safe travels for Easter.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I appreciate the civilized responses.
I've seen a lot of these discussions get pretty heated!
You gave valid points. Accepted the other side of the coin and seem to be going to make sure it works out versus hooking up and going based on wrong numbers listed on a website.

I have said in the other threads...the way they get these numbers is based on a towing situation that many wont be in.

If you tow in flat lands or off the highway at lower speeds pushing the limits of the numbers is probably ok.

If you plan to go up and down hills with turns and cross traffic, or going down the highway at 75 mph, you should stay to the low side of the scale.

The biggest reason to go from a 1500 to a 2500 is if you haul heavy while towing or haul often at long trips.

I didnt notice you saying you're going to be using suspension aids to make up for the lack of capacity...you seem to be reasonably preparing for being 1 or 200 pounds over payload.

That seems fair to me. And like i said I can not argue when this is the first time I looked at it from this perspective.

Good Luck and the best advice we have been given is tow what you feel comfortable. If you feel comfortable go for it, you will know very quickly if you aren't.

Tedscanoe

Reaction score
WOW. Wicked. Fantastic. Whatever anyone wants to call this info. Many thanks as I finally have a very good handle on what I can carry and what I can tow. Really appreciated.
I once made the mistake of putting 3,000 pounds of bricks and 4 male adults in a 2016 ram diesel with air suspension. It survived but it sure didn't like it!

Birdman_2000

Reaction score
This was a great read. I am currently doing research on a RAM 2019 in preparation to buy one in April. Main purpose is to pull a lighter camper. Currently tow a stealth camper (6x12) with a toyota highlander and it's all it wants. Brakes are way to weak even though i am under the tow rating. I need to swing by some dealerships and start looking at the sticker ratings.

Reaction score
Then I guess you have it figured out. I never looked at it that way at all.

So...the limiting factor is almost 100 percent the braking system.

Not exactly... Keep in mind that your trailer has its own brakes... Sufficient brakes to stop itself AND your truck.

JustinHEMI

Reaction score
Great thread! Thanks OP for the posts. I'm in the market for a toy hauler and this thread is relevant to my interests concerning my 2019 Ram 1500 QC with 3.92 gears and the 8 speed transmission.

According to the charts, my Ram has 1970 max payload and 11570 max towing.

I have only one machine, a Polaris RS1, to haul and it's weight is specified at 1340 pounds, but I've added some things, and until I can weigh it, let's say it's about 1500 pounds.

I'm trying to keep the RV as light as possible, and these aluminum toy haulers caught my eye and I wanted to get some back up that this would be within the capability of my truck.

It's dry weight is 4400# with 3300# cargo carrying capacity, 820# tongue weight, and 9900# GVWR. It has a fresh water capacity of 47 gallons, so that's another 376# if hauling full, and let's say another 500 pounds of "stuff."

It would seem that this is well within the capability of my truck, paying attention to how much gear I carry in the truck vs trailer to not exceed the truck's payload. With the machine, water, and "stuff," that's 2376# in the trailer, so there's still 1000# to go in its capacity which I don't foresee ever using. My point being, if I have to move stuff from the truck to the trailer, there's room to work with.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

Justin

https://toyhaulersbyvrv.com/toyhaulers/vrv-xtr-720/

Creep0321

Reaction score
Great thread! Thanks OP for the posts. I'm in the market for a toy hauler and this thread is relevant to my interests concerning my 2019 Ram 1500 QC with 3.92 gears and the 8 speed transmission.

According to the charts, my Ram has 1970 max payload and 11570 max towing.

I have only one machine, a Polaris RS1, to haul and it's weight is specified at 1340 pounds, but I've added some things, and until I can weigh it, let's say it's about 1500 pounds.

I'm trying to keep the RV as light as possible, and these aluminum toy haulers caught my eye and I wanted to get some back up that this would be within the capability of my truck.

It's dry weight is 4400# with 3300# cargo carrying capacity, 820# tongue weight, and 9900# GVWR. It has a fresh water capacity of 47 gallons, so that's another 376# if hauling full, and let's say another 500 pounds of "stuff."

It would seem that this is well within the capability of my truck, paying attention to how much gear I carry in the truck vs trailer to not exceed the truck's payload. With the machine, water, and "stuff," that's 2376# in the trailer, so there's still 1000# to go in its capacity which I don't foresee ever using. My point being, if I have to move stuff from the truck to the trailer, there's room to work with.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

Justin

https://toyhaulersbyvrv.com/toyhaulers/vrv-xtr-720/
Post your truck details in signature and payload sticker from your door jamb for better advice.

JustinHEMI

Reaction score
Post your truck details in signature and payload sticker from your door jamb for better advice.

IMG-20190303-170008.jpg

IMG-20190303-170012.jpg

slimchance

Reaction score
also when you figure the tongue weight us the 9900 # GVWR cause no matter what you think, when you are ready to drive away you will be at least that weight .. so using that wight, your tongue weight will be around 1000#s

riccnick

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This worked for my Vin and came up with the correct towing numbers,

View attachment 18967

Just remember, the numbers posted are the maximum for the configuration of your VIN, and does not necessarily relate to your exact truck. The VIN number only represents configuration options, not build options, and therefore won't take into account the exact content of your truck.

slimchance

Reaction score
This worked for my Vin and came up with the correct towing numbers,

View attachment 18967
i bet ya when you look at the door sticker is will not say 1840 #s.
when i open Mopar.com and look at my truck it say "payload 1840 #" but my door sticker says "payload not to exceed 1577 #s" ... just one more way for FCA to confuse ALL of us ... AND i know all the MFGs are no better, but that does not help ME

Users who are viewing this thread