5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A Comprehensive Guide to Towing with the 2019 RAM 1500 - Everything You Need to Know!

Cueva del Osos

Reaction score
Guess I’m further down the OCD chart. I’ve been towing an ultra-light keystone passport for 2 years with an Acura MDX (which is being traded in next week on my factory ordered 2019 Ltd Hemi/e-torque/3.92/BUG/e-locker/no pano) and the day we drove it home we began weighing and recording EVERYTHING that goes in and out of that trailer. We start with a max target of 90% of the trailer’s GWVR and then calc the TV payload including fuel, us & dog. With clothing, camping stuff, food & some water in the tanks (for flushing & hand washing) all weighed, we get the tongue wt and that also goes against the TV payload. We never exceed 90% of the TV’s GCVWR and add cases of beverages to the trailer last as the weight allows. Yes, I get looks from the ‘better half’ every time I go through this exercise, but I’m confident that we’re safe when we travel! Really stoked to get the Ltd (WAY better ride than the Acura). The payload probably won’t be 200# more than the Acura, but I at least I won’t have to worry about dropping the transmission when I’m climbing a 7% grade for 10 miles! Appreciate all the good info on here and once I start buying add-ons (bed mat, tonneau, etc) I’m sure I’ll be digging into the forum for all the experience shared.

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
The payload probably won’t be 200# more

Why wouldn't it be more than 200 pounds than that little Acura? The Acura has no payload whatsoever compared to a half ton truck. Just for reference, my Bighorn has over 1700 pounds of payload, and with a little lube I could squeeze that Acura into my glovebox. ;)

I have a feeling you're in for a pleasant surprise when you start towing with your Ram.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
You would be surprised. Another guy was using a Honda and his new Ram had 128lbs less payload.

He is talking about an SUV in case you didn't catch that.

The Durango SRT can give a 1500 RAM a real run for its money. It can tow your your drag car to to the track and then keep up with alot of muscle cars at the strip, quite possibly the drag car you took...make your friend/spouse/relation look like a pro, then hook back up and tow the car home.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score

Check the conversation around this post. Very surprised myself when i learned this. I never give them a thought. But they are an option.

silver billet

Reaction score

Check the conversation around this post. Very surprised myself when i learned this. I never give them a thought. But they are an option.

Max payload on an MDX is what, 1100 pounds? My bighorn is 1700+. You throw 2 average American adults in for parents at 200 pounds each, 2 kids at 100 pounds each; boom, 500 pounds gone just in people. Add another 200 pounds for luggage. 1100 - 700 = 400. So the MAX that the Acura can pull then at 10% tongue weight is 4000 pounds. If you want to be safe, you never max out a system, so you're looking at around 3500 pounds; which is inline with midsize SUV's like the MDX.

But people always look at specs as if that's the final answer, it's not. There is no way that an MDX comes close to a half ton in terms of towing. I owned a Jeep GC which is more capable than the MDX in every way, and I would never consider it close to what my Ram can pull.

The Durango will outpull my old Jeep, the MDX, and basically any other midsize SUV due to two factors; a long wheelbase, and a powerful v8.

pgienger

Reaction score
Your payload will be around 1450 by my monkey math. There's a thread on 'yellow stickers', I think the option weights are page 6, if you want exact numbers.

My limited, off road, rambox, no pano, 33gal, is 1250ish. Add etorque, remove rambox and off road, and that's where I estimate you to be. Maybe a bit more for the 33gal, so you could be 1500.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Max payload on an MDX is what, 1100 pounds? My bighorn is 1700+. You throw 2 average American adults in for parents at 200 pounds each, 2 kids at 100 pounds each; boom, 500 pounds gone just in people. Add another 200 pounds for luggage. 1100 - 700 = 400. So the MAX that the Acura can pull then at 10% tongue weight is 4000 pounds. If you want to be safe, you never max out a system, so you're looking at around 3500 pounds; which is inline with midsize SUV's like the MDX.

But people always look at specs as if that's the final answer, it's not. There is no way that an MDX comes close to a half ton in terms of towing. I owned a Jeep GC which is more capable than the MDX in every way, and I would never consider it close to what my Ram can pull.

The Durango will outpull my old Jeep, the MDX, and basically any other midsize SUV due to two factors; a long wheelbase, and a powerful v8.
I do not disagree with you. Just merely stated that a RAM can have less payload than a SUV.. and we have people here with a payload of 1100lbs. That was my only point.

I am the guy who tows a 6500 lb travel trailer with a Crew Cab 8 foot bed HD with a 392 HEMI. I don't concern myself with where to pack the pillows. I hook up, tow the speed limit and know i have lots of capacity left.

Still, can not wrap my head around how a Ford Taurus SHO can be setup to be a better tow rig than what I have, but supposedly it can.

silver billet

Reaction score
I do not disagree with you. Just merely stated that a RAM can have less payload than a SUV.. and we have people here with a payload of 1100lbs. That was my only point.

I am the guy who tows a 6500 lb travel trailer with a Crew Cab 8 foot bed HD with a 392 HEMI. I don't concern myself with where to pack the pillows. I hook up, tow the speed limit and know i have lots of capacity left.

Still, can not wrap my head around how a Ford Taurus SHO can be setup to be a better tow rig than what I have, but supposedly it can.

Yes I suppose it doesn't matter how strong you are in most areas, your max towing is defined by the weakest component in the system (so for some trucks that may be the payload). However, even if the MDX payload = the payload of a particular RAM, the RAM will still be the better hauler by far. Bigger engine, better transmission, better cooling, better supsension, probably better brakes, longer wheelbase...

... and this is crucial: going 50 pounds over in the MDX is going to be more detrimental than going 50 pounds over in the RAM, because the RAM has a lot more suspension to work with. When you start with (say) 3000 pounds suspension in the RAM, add all your heavy options (sunroof, skidplates etc) and drop down to 1200 pounds payload left, an extra 50 pounds isn't nearly as bad as an SUV that starts with (say) 1800 pounds suspension, add your options, and drop down to 1200 pounds payload left. The RAM has much more capability starting out, so it can handle that extra 50 pounds better.

I would love to see the arguments around that Taurus, because I can't believe that either.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Yes I suppose it doesn't matter how strong you are in most areas, your max towing is defined by the weakest component in the system (so for some trucks that may be the payload). However, even if the MDX payload = the payload of a particular RAM, the RAM will still be the better hauler by far. Bigger engine, better transmission, better cooling, better supsension, probably better brakes, longer wheelbase...

... and this is crucial: going 50 pounds over in the MDX is going to be more detrimental than going 50 pounds over in the RAM, because the RAM has a lot more suspension to work with. When you start with (say) 3000 pounds suspension in the RAM, add all your heavy options (sunroof, skidplates etc) and drop down to 1200 pounds payload left, an extra 50 pounds isn't nearly as bad as an SUV that starts with (say) 1800 pounds suspension, add your options, and drop down to 1200 pounds payload left. The RAM has much more capability starting out, so it can handle that extra 50 pounds better.

I would love to see the arguments around that Taurus, because I can't believe that either.
I couldn't agree more.

Cueva del Osos

Reaction score
Why wouldn't it be more than 200 pounds than that little Acura? The Acura has no payload whatsoever compared to a half ton truck. Just for reference, my Bighorn has over 1700 pounds of payload, and with a little lube I could squeeze that Acura into my glovebox. ;)

I have a feeling you're in for a pleasant surprise when you start towing with your Ram.
I have no doubt I’ll enjoy towing with the Ram more than the MDX...BUT, the MDX (my model/trim) has a door label payload of 1,350#. Depending on trim, the Ram can be just as low. Will confess that I’m also looking forward to losing the MDX fuel requirement of 91 min octane. Our TT has 3,900 dry/5,600 GVWR and we have 400# of permanent “stuff” in there plus 200-300# addt’l load when actually camping. I target never exceeding 5,000# total TT weight or 500# tongue weight. The MDX handled it and I’m sure the Ram will handle it better. Guess the ultimate point is that I don’t intend to change TT to a larger model. If I’m towing a couple thousand miles on a trip, I want ALL weights within spec.

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
Payload is kinda funny. Back in the day, I mean “back”, we never much thought about payloads. You loaded up the truck with green or seasoned firewood, sand, dirt, gravel, whatever until it squatted down and then you stopped. In my 73 2500 chev I sometimes carried 3,000 pounds of concrete “cores” from a site to the house for retaining walls. Often I picked up a cord (4x4x8) of dried wood (typically pine/fir) which weighed appx 2500 lbs. (you need sideboards to carry a true full cord).
You know what the “load factor” was? The bulge in the sidewall of your 8 ply tires! Real scientific, weren't we all back then., Its a wonder we ever survived.

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
am shopping for a 5th whl the last few days and 2 different RV dealers here in Pa warned me about going over the payload and GCVW rating for my trk ... these dealers were miles apart and each said the state cops have taken up the issue of overloaded pickup trks pulling trailers and travel trailers ... i don't know where they get their information but i have to wonder what advantage to their business they have in telling me this, they both had units in stock ... i was looking at models that would get me right around my weight limits and the short of their warning was don't go overboard
Typically trailer sales places didnt care too much so either they are both very honest or there is stepped up enforcement. Also their industry reps could have asked them to back off for possible liability.

RAM5

Reaction score
Wow!! fantastic information for free! this is something I have been looking for. I really needed this.

Thanks! and I appreciate it!!

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
Theres a lot of experience and little bs on this forum. Surprisingly the bs quotient seems higher on the general rv forums and then less so by far on the brand specific owners forums like for a particular manufacturer...

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I tow at 55-60, and let the traffic go on by when we travel south in the winter. I have no need to hurry to the wreck. But I do see a lot of macho diesels with 44' toy haulers doing 70-80 or more, and it make me wonder how they can call that safe trailering. My Durmax and trailer scaled at 22500 and it COULD do 80, but it sure as hell wasn't safe. I now tow with the 1500 and a 9000lb fifth wheel, and 55-60 works as good, or better now as it did then.
A safe and late arrival is better than no arrival.

Cueva del Osos

Reaction score
We just towed the TT from storage to the house (thanks, HOA for making me keep my TT somewhere else) and it was effortless! Taking off for a week at the lake tomorrow and I’m sure I’ll be pissing some folks off driving 50 mph the whole way (I’m determined to follow the break-in recs in the manual). The 34 mile drive showed 11.5 mpg on the computer. I’m eager to get the mileage on the 130 mile drive to the lake. Oddly, I found the RAM to be SOOOoooo much easier than the MDX for backing the TT down the drive (maybe the higher vantage?). So far the RAM has been a pleasure to own/drive. Been having some issues with NAV but think I’ve identified the issue as being the forest road we drive up to our community isn’t ‘verified’ in the database, so any route that includes that road causes the turn by turn to never actuate. If I start the NAV after I get into the village it responds as expected.

Bacchus

Reaction score
Ok. I'm a little confused. When I took my GVWR of my sticker (7100#), and subtracted the max occupant/wt rating (1269). I get the base weight of 5931#. But when I went to the options graph I have 241# of options. Do these not get subtracted from the Payload number? So is my real max occupant/wt rating 1028#?

After that, in calculating the TWR should we not be adding in the tongue weight to the Payload? In the TWR example only 300# payload was used. That's a 3000# trailer but no driver.

Thanks for the awesome info and help!

jdefoe0424

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Ok. I'm a little confused. When I took my GVWR of my sticker (7100#), and subtracted the max occupant/wt rating (1269). I get the base weight of 5931#. But when I went to the options graph I have 241# of options. Do these not get subtracted from the Payload number? So is my real max occupant/wt rating 1028#?

After that, in calculating the TWR should we not be adding in the tongue weight to the Payload? In the TWR example only 300# payload was used. That's a 3000# trailer but no driver.

Thanks for the awesome info and help!
The payload sticker on your door jam already has the options accounted for. So what counts towards it is passengers, gear, tongue weight etc.
The other thing is that these things also cut into your towing capacity

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Cueva del Osos

Reaction score
This week we towed our TT from NM to Chicago. Can't get a clear fix on the best fuel/towing speed to get good mileage. Speedwise, I never exceed 65 mph (tire speed rating) and during some heavy rains, I backed off to 50-55 mph. I calc'd the loaded weight of the TT and @ 12% tongue weight transfer to the Ram, we've got 1,350# of payload (sticker indicates payload rating for our Ltd is 1,450#). We left NM with a tank full of Speedway 89 octane & averaged 11.5 mpg with a partial tail wind. Through KS/NE, we burned Cenex 89, Casey's 91, BP 89, BP 91 (no ethanol) with a 40 mpg cross/partial tail wind and mileage dropped to 9-9.5 mpg. In IA we burned Mobil 89 with a 30mph headwind and only got 8.5 mpg. The Ram has run well through all this, but the poor milage is starting to tick me off. I'm not sure if altitude change is causing issues (both with the injectors and with more/heavier atmosphere causing more wind drag), if the gas we're getting is just poor quality or false ratings on octane (which is my guess on the Cenex). We should have more favorable wind conditions when we head to CO in a few days - so fingers crossed. Anyone find a gas that offers good & consistent results when towing?

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
I can’t see towing much of any TT (other than a pop up) and getting 8-12 mpg as being poor mileage. I dont know of any gasser that would do appreciably better. You could always waste I mean spend $10K more on a diesel to get 5 more mpg.

Users who are viewing this thread