5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A/C Performance

Lpsouth1978

Reaction score
Just a heads up to those looking to use the Muzzy kit, My ball valve started leaking coolant within just a couple months of installing. Unless they have changed to a higher quality ball valve, I don't believe the included valve is capable of handling the heat/pressure of the system. I am currently looking for a better valve to use as summer heat is now in full force here in Phoenix!

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
If you live in a hot enough State, where maybe you don't use the heat that often, I would just do a block-off and avoid the valve altogether.

My A/C seems to be working very well on my 2019, never noticed it being not cold enough, however I am worried about the heater core leaking into the cab one day, I may just do the block-off to prevent that possibility in the future.

Lpsouth1978

Reaction score
If you live in a hot enough State, where maybe you don't use the heat that often, I would just do a block-off and avoid the valve altogether.

My A/C seems to be working very well on my 2019, never noticed it being not cold enough, however I am worried about the heater core leaking into the cab one day, I may just do the block-off to prevent that possibility in the future.
I would just block it entirely, except we pull the TT into the mountains often and need the heat for some of these trips.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Just a heads up to those looking to use the Muzzy kit, My ball valve started leaking coolant within just a couple months of installing. Unless they have changed to a higher quality ball valve, I don't believe the included valve is capable of handling the heat/pressure of the system. I am currently looking for a better valve to use as summer heat is now in full force here in Phoenix!
I’m pretty sure this is the one I used to make my hack. It’s for pex, but hose clamps seal up nicely. No leaks

Blizzak454

Reaction score
Won't go through all 60 something pages, but living in the South, the AC is always on MAX speed and LO temp. - always. During peak heat (100F+) days and with humidity in the 80-99% range, the AC system is pushed to its limits - even with 15% ceramic tint, a tinted windshield AND aluminized windshield shade when parked. It does take a few min. It is able to keep up after that though, so I guess that's normal.

I will say though, my dads 2003 Silverado literally blows ice cubes. What is it about those systems that can do that? Obviously has to be differences in the mechanical components. Larger compressors? More volume? Something has to be different.

Last edited:

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Won't go through all 60 something pages, but living in the South, the AC is always on MAX speed and LO temp. - always. During peak heat (100F+) days and with humidity in the 80-99% range, the AC system is pushed to its limits - even with 15% ceramic tint, a tinted windshield AND aluminized windshield shade when parked. It does take a few min. It is able to keep up after that though, so I guess that's normal.

I will say though, my dads 2003 Silverado literally blows ice cubes. What is it about those systems that can do that? Obviously has to be differences in the mechanical components. Larger compressors? More volume? Something has to be different.
Different refrigerant. The modern refeigerant isn't as efficient as the older stuff, but we are saving the environment. And Chevy has always jad ice cold A/C. But I'd rather not be froze out of my truck. Which is why I keep mine on the auto setting at 70 degrees. I don't feel cold, just comfortable, and my sunglasses don't fog up for 15 minutes after so get out when humidity is high

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
My truck blows pretty cold once in moving on the highway, sitting still is just cool. Vent temps will never get in the 40's during the summer tho.

retire561

Reaction score
I, too, use a quality ball valve in my 21 Hemi, and with that fully closed in the hot weather, I'd rate the A/C as "good". I was wondering since the NEW 2025s are still considered 5th Gen............have any owners of the new SST 6 cyl any opinions on their A/C performance? With an all new design on everything under hood, I would hope that Ram has improved it to the level of the competition and it is no longer an issue.\, as so many here can attest to. With my valve fully closed my vent temps are mid 30's, and performance is now "good", and I have been using this valve setup for over 3 yrs now with no issues.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
I, too, use a quality ball valve in my 21 Hemi, and with that fully closed in the hot weather, I'd rate the A/C as "good". I was wondering since the NEW 2025s are still considered 5th Gen............have any owners of the new SST 6 cyl any opinions on their A/C performance? With an all new design on everything under hood, I would hope that Ram has improved it to the level of the competition and it is no longer an issue.\, as so many here can attest to. With my valve fully closed my vent temps are mid 30's, and performance is now "good", and I have been using this valve setup for over 3 yrs now with no issues.
Try it without the cabin filter.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

The AC appears to have improved based on reviews from members on this forum, including several previous owners of earlier 5th gen.

Users who are viewing this thread