5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A/C Performance

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Appreciate it! I'll follow up with my local service department again since the first time I mentioned it with them. Hopefully they will be able to see the same results that I am getting now that it's warmer out.
Here’s the link to the TSB. Notice in the last paragraph on page six says:

”If the customer’s concern matches the SYMPTOM/CONDITION identified in the Service Bulletin, failure code CC is to be used.”

So if you point out the symptoms (which, of course FCA knows there’s an issue, and the reason for the TSB to exist), then they have to perform the repair.

For my truck (and assume all repairs) they had to follow a procedure and check freon level, test temp (failed - 10 deg hotter on driver side) and update software on AC controller, and test again. Even then, it again failed the test (10 deg hotter on driver side), so they approved the repair and ordered the parts.

Good luck and post back on your experience. Remember, be polite (but be firm) and demand they fix this.

Cheers,

Checkairspeed

Reaction score
Found temps at 40 degrees. FINALLY!!!! It's what we've been saying all along. THAT is what the temp should be....not this 50 degree "spec" BS.
Hey Post. Did you ever actually buy a 5th Gen? Not noted in your profile since your original post in Jul 2019 regarding poor a/c performance.

davel

Reaction score
Here’s the link to the TSB. Notice in the last paragraph on page six says:

”If the customer’s concern matches the SYMPTOM/CONDITION identified in the Service Bulletin, failure code CC is to be used.”

So if you point out the symptoms (which, of course FCA knows there’s an issue, and the reason for the TSB to exist), then they have to perform the repair.

For my truck (and assume all repairs) they had to follow a procedure and check freon level, test temp (failed - 10 deg hotter on driver side) and update software on AC controller, and test again. Even then, it again failed the test (10 deg hotter on driver side), so they approved the repair and ordered the parts.

Good luck and post back on your experience. Remember, be polite (but be firm) and demand they fix this.

Cheers,
I have been on this reading forum since I bought my 2019 Limited and have learned a lot from tires to what grade gas to use. I was aware of the AC issues but bought the truck anyways. I did the heater line hack and it got me through the Phoenix summers but not great. I had the TSB preformed yesterday and I was scared to have them rip my dash apart but I must say they did a great job. I found no damage or visual fit difference. did not lose any settings on screen and best of all my AC works fantastic. Temps are even from side to side and went from best low temp of around 52-55 to 45-46. They completed the work in one day and I am really pleased. Stay safe and healthy.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
I have been on this reading forum since I bought my 2019 Limited and have learned a lot from tires to what grade gas to use. I was aware of the AC issues but bought the truck anyways. I did the heater line hack and it got me through the Phoenix summers but not great. I had the TSB preformed yesterday and I was scared to have them rip my dash apart but I must say they did a great job. I found no damage or visual fit difference. did not lose any settings on screen and best of all my AC works fantastic. Temps are even from side to side and went from best low temp of around 52-55 to 45-46. They completed the work in one day and I am really pleased. Stay safe and healthy.
That’s awesome, and it mirrors my experience. Glad to hear you’re happy with it.
There’s now way I would go have gone through another Texas summer without it.

Cheers,

revvr

Reaction score
Taking the plunge. Just dropped off my RAM at the dealer to get the tsb done. Crossing my fingers.

I took the tsb printed out and handed it to them with the key. They didn't even hesitate to take the truck.

Timeless

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Taking the plunge. Just dropped off my RAM at the dealer to get the tsb done. Crossing my fingers.

I took the tsb printed out and handed it to them with the key. They didn't even hesitate to take the truck.
I do not see your location? Mind telling us?

Reaction score
I took mine in for a complaint about the HVAC taking a long time to cool and the vent differences.

Tech "checked pressures" and no issue was found.
I pushed for the TSB to be looked at, they "recalibrated" the HVAC box and shipped it.

I would have pushed again but they had my truck for two weeks for back glass and I wanted it back. I'll take it in this Summer if a problem persists, Texas Summer will tell me pretty soon.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
I have to say, my AC has been a lot colder since the fix. Tested extensively lately when temps were higher, leaving the truck out on the sun for several hours, and it’s night and day what it used to be. It’s actually performing as it should.

Only caveat is that the blower does not seem to blow as hard in the highest setting as before the fix, but it’s minimal. The tradeoff is that what does come out of the vents, comes out cold. I’ll take that.

Cheers,

revvr

Reaction score
Reporting back...

After leaving my truck at the dealership for a week while I was away traveling, no work was performed regarding the TSB. Apparently, Ram is blocking the fix. They had the dealer check temps and Ram considers my temperatures normal thus they're not authorizing the work.

I've had a number of vehicles during my lifetime. My Ram, by far, is the vehicle that takes the longest to cool down.

Dealer is still pushing for the fix and is engaging with the "regional engineer" (whatever that is) to get this through FCA and to perform the work. Disappointed with RAM since the TSB basically states "if the customer complains and the truck is built between these dates, do the work".

cc: @RamCares

ZombieSlayer

Reaction score
Reporting back...

After leaving my truck at the dealership for a week while I was away traveling, no work was performed regarding the TSB. Apparently, Ram is blocking the fix. They had the dealer check temps and Ram considers my temperatures normal thus they're not authorizing the work.

I've had a number of vehicles during my lifetime. My Ram, by far, is the vehicle that takes the longest to cool down.

Dealer is still pushing for the fix and is engaging with the "regional engineer" (whatever that is) to get this through FCA and to perform the work. Disappointed with RAM since the TSB basically states "if the customer complains and the truck is built between these dates, do the work".

Lame :( I hope they backtrack their block as you may have a course for some legal action.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Reporting back...

That’s BS. Doubt FCA is blocking this.
Take it to another dealer.

The Critic

Reaction score
That’s BS. Doubt FCA is blocking this.
Take it to another dealer.
It could be true. FCA is known to put certain parts on restriction and require dealers to open techline cases. 6.4 engines was one of them, for a while.

Users who are viewing this thread