5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A/c or active air dam

Stephens99

Reaction score
2019 ram 1500 laramie
While on longer road trips at highway speeds i notice intermittent wind/air fan noise near/under passenger dash area. Just recently on a long trip i began to notice every time i heard the noise i could smell fresh outside air. Does the auto climate dump fresh air once in a while? Sound is hard to describe, almost as if for a few seconds the blower motor spools up and dumps fresh air in the cab then goes back to the original setting. Anyone experiencing this as well?

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
2019 ram 1500 laramie
While on longer road trips at highway speeds i notice intermittent wind/air fan noise near/under passenger dash area. Just recently on a long trip i began to notice every time i heard the noise i could smell fresh outside air. Does the auto climate dump fresh air once in a while? Sound is hard to describe, almost as if for a few seconds the blower motor spools up and dumps fresh air in the cab then goes back to the original setting. Anyone experiencing this as well?

Hi Stephens99,

I know that you are reaching out to fellow forum members on this, but I just want to let you know that if you end up needing to address this with your dealer, we would be more than happy to provide you with an additional layer of support for the process. Our team is just a PM away.

Mark
RamCares

RAM#2

Reaction score
2019 ram 1500 laramie

Unfortunately this is an ongoing problem / issue with the 2019s. I have taken my truck in 4 times to get it addressed without any resolution as of yet. I think that there is an issue with the Recirc Vents partially opening and allowing the outside air to enter in. Unfortunately the problem only seems to hit while on the road and thus cannot be recreated while the vehicle is in the stall at idle. Additionally due to it being quite intermittent the odds of the problem showing up while a technician is in the vehicle going along for a ride (attempted already) are somewhat slim. RamCares had a file open for me but closed it while I was away on vacation / road trip. I did provide feed back to them when I returned as I was still experiencing issues but I have not received any response...

ANYWAY - if you turn the Recirc button off and then back on - the vents should reset properly.

Richard320

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
LA County, People's Republic of California
Yes. Lots of us have that.

I suspect it is programmed that way to defrost the evaporator with outside air. It only happens when it's been on recirc for long periods of time, and when it happens, it is very regular. Others have opined that it might be to flush the air and get some oxygen into the cab. I suggested that @RamCares get hold of some engineering types who would know for sure, but got the brushoff.

troutspinner

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This was a known issue with the 4th gen. as well. My 4th gen did it, fortunately my 5th does not. I wouldn’t waste your time at the dealer with it, you’ll get frustrated. Call it a feature. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread