5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A/C is ice cold

z0n3

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've seen that post. Are you sure that is at AC vent temp at idle and not highway speed?
I would assume those temps are what you should see at optimal conditions, so if going down the highway helps which it usually does that's when id expect to see the better temps. The less information they give us the less liable they are to fixing trucks that don't perform as they should.

Rollint

Reaction score
I would assume those temps are what you should see at optimal conditions, so if going down the highway helps which it usually does that's when id expect to see the better temps. The less information they give us the less liable they are to fixing trucks that don't perform as they should.
Very true. It's important to know the spec temps for each scenario (idle and highway) if we are going to accurately diagnose whether or not our ACs are performing properly.

AllAmer1719

Reaction score
FWIW...I tested my vents on way home from work. 92 degree outside, gauge was reading 50F on all vents. Ive noticed that I must keep it on high on long trips, as if its not insulated well. I also have ceramic tint all around, but since Im driving coming through front windshield.

2020 Bighorn CC. Build Date 9/19. 2000 miles. If that matters.

parnine

Reaction score
I've seen that post. Are you sure that is at AC vent temp at idle and not highway speed?

This 'AC' issue is so beat to death on this forum it is CRAZY! if you search you can find the entire troubleshooting procedures that are followed and which the values (from post #29) are taken. the temps in the post are NOT highway speed LOL - that would be some fun troubleshooting to have gauges hooked up to the system and the tech hanging over the fender looking under the hood at 70mph LOL.

Rollint

Reaction score
This 'AC' issue is so beat to death on this forum it is CRAZY! if you search you can find the entire troubleshooting procedures that are followed and which the values (from post #29) are taken. the temps in the post are NOT highway speed LOL - that would be some fun troubleshooting to have gauges hooked up to the system and the tech hanging over the fender looking under the hood at 70mph LOL.
Post 29 doesn't specify idle, fan speed, or anything. You do realize they could set the rpm to 2k to emulate a driving condition, etc right? I'm not talking about pressure in the system and having gauges out. I'm asking do we know for sure that the vent temps in post 29 are, in fact, supposed to be the idle with engine warm temps...or are you just assuming that? It doesnt say on the little image either way

parnine

Reaction score
Post 29 doesn't specify idle, fan speed, or anything. You do realize they could set the rpm to 2k to emulate a driving condition, etc right? I'm not talking about pressure in the system and having gauges out. I'm asking do we know for sure that the vent temps in post 29 are, in fact, supposed to be the idle with engine warm temps...or are you just assuming that? It doesnt say on the little image either way

LOL, yes I realize that, so take a look at the service manual for yourself ....search is your friend ..... and she'll give you your answer ..... posted on this forum ..... the entire troubleshooting procedures (which the table is one part of ) - I was curious so just did it, took 2 seconds, good practice for you to search and empower yourself - go find the rest :)
Operate the HVAC system under the following conditions.
  • Engine at 1,000 rpm at operating temperature
  • Door and windows closed
  • Transmission in PARK or NEUTRAL with parking brake set (depending on transmission application)
  • A/C heater controls set to recirculation mode (MAX A/C), full cool, panel mode, high blower and with A/C compressor engaged. If the A/C compressor does not engage, see the A/C System Diagnosis table.

Rollint

Reaction score
LOL, yes I realize that, so take a look at the service manual for yourself ....search is your friend ..... and she'll give you your answer ..... posted on this forum ..... the entire troubleshooting procedures (which the table is one part of ) - I was curious so just did it, took 2 seconds, good practice for you to search and empower yourself - go find the rest :)
Operate the HVAC system under the following conditions.
  • Engine at 1,000 rpm at operating temperature
  • Door and windows closed
  • Transmission in PARK or NEUTRAL with parking brake set (depending on transmission application)
  • A/C heater controls set to recirculation mode (MAX A/C), full cool, panel mode, high blower and with A/C compressor engaged. If the A/C compressor does not engage, see the A/C System Diagnosis table.
I found it already. Thanks for your work though...I think it's good to have this in multiple places. Also, no need to be a d!ck when people are just trying to ask questions--it really doesn't help any one and it's one reason that people stop frequenting forums.

parnine

Reaction score
I found it already. Thanks for your work though...I think it's good to have this in multiple places. Also, no need to be a d!ck when people are just trying to ask questions--it really doesn't help any one and it's one reason that people stop frequenting forums.

WOW - but not I'm curious which part of the post was 'd!ck'ly?

gota love forums people on forums ....

Rollint

Reaction score
WOW - but not I'm curious which part of the post was 'd!ck'ly?

gota love forums people on forums ....
The fact that you would rather spend 5 minutes typing part of the answer up and basically then saying go find it yourself, rather that spending only 5 seconds to link to the appropriate thread. Yes, you could find it quickly because you already knew what the thread was titled and were probably not on mobile device. Linking would have been faster, easier, and far more informative...but instead you had to get in your jabs and try to tell me what is best for me. Anyway, it's been a real pleasure; I'm sure you're fun at parties.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I'd classify it more as being passive aggressive than being a d!ck. I got the same vibe from reading it. He makes a good point about searching, but his methodology could have been better. It's also possible we misinterpreted his intentions. That's a common problem with forums in general.

turkeybird56

Reaction score
2019 RAM 1500 DT, Built April 2018, bought Aug 2018. I just had TSB done yesterday ref the build date on this truck and it helps with the blend doors. But I also know, I will neva see snow blowing out the vents like the old AC Delco systems. Attaching TSB for those interested/affected: Also, stock, no heater valve/clamp hack. But I do have a clamp in the truck just in case, hee hee..Gotta be a Boy Scout, be Prepared.....

Attachments

• 00000000c0f0936e.pdf
    29 KB · Views: 26

Wsmith

Reaction score
Def not fixed for 2020s , mine is fine enough but no where near what I would like it. Seems to be ok with it getting up to 93 here this past week in Illinois. Btw Does anyone else think The seats hold in heat. I swear it feels like my butt warmers are on for 30 mins until the car completely cools down. Never experienced it in any of my previous silverados I’ve owned. But these do have way more seat cushion?
I wish mine would get cool in only 30 minutes.

turkeybird56

Reaction score
See AC Performance Thread and AC Hack thread for Hacks for AC. Either a clamp or valve...

Users who are viewing this thread