5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A/C is ice cold

Jeffjad

Ram Guru
Reaction score
78°F degrees outside and overcast but I could only get my A/C to blow 50°F........might be time for the hack.

Last edited:

BeauxXL1200

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My 2020 blows barely cool air.
You might want to consider clamping off the heater hose or installing a shut off valve that a lot of us have done. Just clamped mine off for this summer and it makes the AC at least tolerable here in Central Texas.

ac1dd

Reaction score
Yeah I believe that 38-40 F is the rough target for what is considered to be “good” (with the exception of 2019 RAM’s).

In general for "mobile AC" systems in vehicles at ambient temp of 95 with 50% humidity, anything between 38-42 is considered very good, 43-48 acceptable, and 49-52 marginal, higher than that there is something DEFINITELY wrong it may be a design defect or failure but the system isn't performing effectively to cool the car and make it comfortable.

SilverNight2020

Reaction score
It was 97 degrees on the truck thermo yesterday and had to keep the fan speed at least a five to stay somewhat comfortable with the driver and passenger temp set to low. As of now, I don't own one of those nifty thermometers, so I cannot get actual readings.

PMantle

Reaction score
You might want to consider clamping off the heater hose or installing a shut off valve that a lot of us have done. Just clamped mine off for this summer and it makes the AC at least tolerable here in Central Texas.
I have already printed the auto parts store receipt from the main thread. I just need to run by there and get the parts.

Memphsi87

Reaction score
Def not fixed for 2020s , mine is fine enough but no where near what I would like it. Seems to be ok with it getting up to 93 here this past week in Illinois. Btw Does anyone else think The seats hold in heat. I swear it feels like my butt warmers are on for 30 mins until the car completely cools down. Never experienced it in any of my previous silverados I’ve owned. But these do have way more seat cushion?

parnine

Reaction score
In general for "mobile AC" systems in vehicles at ambient temp of 95 with 50% humidity, anything between 38-42 is considered very good, 43-48 acceptable, and 49-52 marginal, higher than that there is something DEFINITELY wrong it may be a design defect or failure but the system isn't performing effectively to cool the car and make it comfortable.

Guess you are in the group of DEFINITELY a design defect considering the design specifications .....

RAM 1500 AC specifications.png

Diamondback

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I road in a 2020 Longhorn today (passenger side) and was frozen by the time we got back to work .. and it was almost 100 out.

ac1dd

Reaction score
I road in a 2020 Longhorn today (passenger side) and was frozen by the time we got back to work .. and it was almost 100 out.

"frozen" ? So you mean the outlet temp was at about 32 F? ;)

So why not put a thermometer in the vent and show us what "frozen" means to you? :p

Kxlexus

Reaction score
How about providing a thermometer reading at the vent outlet?

Science matters too. :ROFLMAO:
Why would I want to do that? My truck feels great to me. It will get a lot colder that I want it to.

jesse_ohio

Reaction score
Did a fair amount of in-and-out of the truck running from store to store on Saturday, outside temps of 94, truck cooled down relatively quickly each time I got back in, but it doesn't have that immediate "chill factor" I associate with strong AC systems. I noticed the Auto mode set to "Lo" seems to get colder than manually setting Lo + Max fan, but maybe that's my imagination.

I've only had the truck a week but my initial impression is the AC is acceptable, but just barely. I could see it being an issue in much hotter climates than the Midwest. I did hope for better performance from such a new, well equipped vehicle, but it's not awful.

ElJoe

Reaction score
Ok. So who here has the the valve COMPLETELY closed off or the clamps COMPLETELY restricting flow? Cuz in some other posts, some people were going back and forth that its ok to have it completely closed off and some say not too cuz it'll cause some damage/freezing of the who knows what and so on. I live in south TX and anything under 100 degrees is a blessing. Even at night a lot of times. I'm planning on installing the valve. Just wanna know who here has it completely shut off. No fluid coming out. And have you had any issues? TIA

KcRay

Reaction score
No problems closing completely, ran mine closed all last summer. Any amount of hot water getting to the heater core will taint the system and not let you get the AC as cold as it is capable.
Your freezer at home, the refer units bringing your frozen products, don't have heater cores supplying hot hot water to the system.

Users who are viewing this thread