5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

87 vs 89 vs 93 (again)

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Run e15. Better performance and cheaper than 87 if you can find it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I don't think I've ever seen E15 for sale in the PNW. I just did a search with the Gas Buddy app and it's not listed as a fuel grade.

ferraiolo1

Reaction score
For some reason one of my state local fuel chains started carrying it about a year ago when they started remodeling all their fuel stations. Before that it wasn’t here ether. But I see it popping up more and more when I visit other states.

ferraiolo1

Reaction score
It indeed does and Mpg doesn’t suffer and it’s generally a lot cheaper than 87. I’ve been running it for months now.

Lots of information on the web about it.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I don't think I've ever seen E15 for sale in the PNW. I just did a search with the Gas Buddy app and it's not listed as a fuel grade.
It is also called 88 octane.

In Pennsylvania it is a blue handle.

Some call it E15. Some 88 Oct.

I have been using it for 2 years now in my 2015 6.4l and it is what I will use going forward.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I wouldn't say "better performance". I'd rather run ethanol free 87 than E10 89 if they are on the same pump. Takes more fuel to get same performance when mixed with ethanol.
I have used 90 non ethanol. 87 E10. 89 E10 and I currently for the last 2 years been running E15 88 Octane.

The 90 was a huge waste of money.

87 is fine.

But 88 performs as good to better than 89 and is 60 to 80 cents cheaper here.

I have to monitor fuel mileage etc. Because my fuel level sensor is bad. I go by the trip meter.

88 tows just like 89 and gets me the same to 1 mile per gallon better towing the same trips. It gets 3 to 4 mpg better than 87.

Of course....by the flexing of my right foot...i can make any gas return 8 mpg also...ha.

RAM Patriot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Gasoline's blended with Ethanol will lower MPG in most engines. The EPA says Fuel efficiency can decrease by 1.5% to 3%.

Also summer blends contain about 1.7% more energy than winter gasoline. ⛽

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I see E15 popping up at more stations

diluting gasoline with 50% more ethanol than the “regular” E10? No thanks.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I see E15 popping up at more stations

diluting gasoline with 50% more ethanol than the “regular” E10? No thanks.
50% more? It is up to 15% E10 is up to 10%. So it is possible tbe E15 is just E10...possible.

50% more...what math am I missing?

It is cheaper and performs better than 87. That is a win.

Oldphart

Reaction score
Run e15. Better performance and cheaper than 87 if you can find it.

I've gone the other way. There is a station by me that has 91 non-ethanol. It's priced between the 89 and 93. I live in hurricane country so I also keep 40 gallons of it stored for my generator. With Sta-Bil, it will keep for 2 years but I rotate it thru the truck every year.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I have used 90 non ethanol. 87 E10. 89 E10 and I currently for the last 2 years been running E15 88 Octane.

The 90 was a huge waste of money.

87 is fine.

But 88 performs as good to better than 89 and is 60 to 80 cents cheaper here.

I have to monitor fuel mileage etc. Because my fuel level sensor is bad. I go by the trip meter.

88 tows just like 89 and gets me the same to 1 mile per gallon better towing the same trips. It gets 3 to 4 mpg better than 87.

Of course....by the flexing of my right foot...i can make any gas return 8 mpg also...ha.
Considering E10 87 performs worse than non-ethanol 87, I can't imagine adding more ethanol to 87, making it 88 octane would do much for performance.

But it doesn't really matter for me. I have the Pulsar in my truck which recommends 91+ octane. And since I can get non-ethanol 91 easily around mez that's what I run

ferraiolo1

Reaction score
Odd way to look at it. Especially for not trying it.

In modern vehicles the cope just fine with e15. There isn’t a down side of using it.

I wish these trucks were flex fuel, as I would be running that instead.

On the gm trucks you can automatically gain around 25hp by simply adding e85 and letting the factory tune take over.

Mr.Grid

Reaction score
Thanks, had no idea! I'll look more closely at the pumps now.
I tow well over 10k miles yearly and some of it longer runs through multiple states. Towing 28’ long is harder to get in/out of fuel stops and I like/ use Loves Truck Stops. No inclines access and large opening between pump islands for easy gasoline fueling when towing. This is Non-Top Tier fuel. I add a bottle of injector cleaner (Techron) every 3000 miles.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Odd way to look at it. Especially for not trying it.

In modern vehicles the cope just fine with e15. There isn’t a down side of using it.

I wish these trucks were flex fuel, as I would be running that instead.

On the gm trucks you can automatically gain around 25hp by simply adding e85 and letting the factory tune take over.

The "stoich" a/f ratio for Ethanol is higher than gasoline. And ethanol has lower energy potential. Meaning it takes more fuel to maintain safe A/F ratio when using ethanol blends. It's why guys running E85 tunes get **** gas mileage despite being able to make a ton more HP. I've driven several flex fuel vehicles. The fuel mileage when on E85 sucks. And now with E85 being barely cheaper than regular gasoline, it's not worth it in a daily driver.

If you understand the science there is no way E15 can perform better than a non-ethanol blend fuel when it comes to fuel mileage.

ferraiolo1

Reaction score
E85 is about $1 cheaper a gallon than 87 here in pa. So the lower mpg is a wash when it comes to cost.

As far as e15. I’ve ran several tanks of it, 87, and 89. Didn’t bother with 91. But They are all a wash when it comes to mpg differences. I still get my window sticker mpg averages with e15 and none of the pinging you get with 87, whether it’s 10% e or pure gas. Same results in my ecoboost focus which suffers some pretty bad pinging on 87 when the ambient temp is above 90

As stated by a previous poster, mpg isn’t affected

GKIII

Ram Guru
Reaction score
There is a ~1.8% drop in total volumetric energy content when going from E10 to E15 fuels. Considering E15 (otherwise known as UNL88 around here) is about .20 cents cheaper than standard 87 Octane around here, I call that a win.

Users who are viewing this thread