5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

87 vs 89 vs 93 (again)

MontFla

Reaction score
Does Costco fuel contain additives? When my son was having issues with his GMC a trusted mechanic asked him what brand gas he used, which was Kroger. The mechanic told me stations like Kroger, Sams, Costco and the like buy fuel without all the additives therefore that's why it's cheaper.

Of course this came from a mechanic associated with a BP dealership so this may be fake news but I do trust the guy and when my son filled up with BP gas the problem went away. And I'm not a fuel expert so I don't even know what additives he was talking about!!
I really do not know. My truck did not mind Costco fuel

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Used to drive by a refinery once in a while, and there were Arco trucks filling up in the same bay as a Mobile. Always mixed trucks filling with the same truck. Only difference was the additive they put in after filling.

All Gas Is the Same (Up to a Point)
However, each company is required by law to put additives in the fuel. The composition, quantity, and quality of the additives is proprietary. All gas contains additives, but they aren't created equal.
Jun 12, 2019

Last edited:

Oldphart

Reaction score
One thing that has not been mentioned. If you are pulling into a station and see a truck delivering fuel, go to another station. Reason is the new load of gas is stirring up all the crud that falls to the bottom of the stations tank over time. That will end up in your tank as many stations don't change out the pump filters regularly. You will never know if a truck has just left after a delivery but you will be cutting down on your chances of getting a bad tank of gas.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
One thing that has not been mentioned. If you are pulling into a station and see a truck delivering fuel, go to another station. Reason is the new load of gas is stirring up all the crud that falls to the bottom of the stations tank over time. That will end up in your tank as many stations don't change out the pump filters regularly. You will never know if a truck has just left after a delivery but you will be cutting down on your chances of getting a bad tank of gas.
The tank and pump filters will block anything getting into your tank. About the only stations you would need to worry about are the samll mom and pop stations, or cheap stations that also have "cheap cigarettes". Any top tier gas station will change filters as needed
Does Costco fuel contain additives? When my son was having issues with his GMC a trusted mechanic asked him what brand gas he used, which was Kroger. The mechanic told me stations like Kroger, Sams, Costco and the like buy fuel without all the additives therefore that's why it's cheaper.

Of course this came from a mechanic associated with a BP dealership so this may be fake news but I do trust the guy and when my son filled up with BP gas the problem went away. And I'm not a fuel expert so I don't even know what additives he was talking about!!
Costco is a "top tier" fuel so yes, has additives on par with other top tier stations

GKIII

Ram Guru
Reaction score
interesting that current ethanol requirements only run through 2022. Will be curious to see what they propose going forward

It is my personal belief ethanol requirements are more there to keep corn farmers afloat rather than any real environmental concerns.

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It is my personal belief ethanol requirements are more there to keep corn farmers afloat rather than any real environmental concerns.
Take corn out of the food chain(Cattle feed), use it for fuel, and the price of everything that the corn was used for goes up. Now I see where scientists are making the statement that ethanol is worse for the environment than the gas it replaced.
Go figure.
Oh, and they say we may need a forth shot. 😂🤣😅

RAM Patriot

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
And it only took them 3 decades to figure that out.
Never could figure out how worse mpg in better for the environment.
The government did the same thing in the 70's and 80's with all the smog crap the manufacturers had to install. Ruined mileage.
Dad had a '62 Studebaker with a 289ci engine that got a steady 20/25 on long trips.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Never could figure out how worse mpg in better for the environment.
The government did the same thing in the 70's and 80's with all the smog crap the manufacturers had to install. Ruined mileage.
Dad had a '62 Studebaker with a 289ci engine that got a steady 20/25 on long trips.
Cause it's "clean" and "renewable".

ferraiolo1

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Easier to grow plants than it is to wait for more dinosaurs to further decay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RAM Patriot

Ram Guru
Reaction score

The more corn your grow for fuel the less you have for cows and people.

Which makes our meat and corn based products more expensive at the supermarket.

Supply and demand my friend.

Not to mention all the other negatives, lower BTU which equated to less MPG.

Ethanol is hygroscopic so it attracts water and gums up your fuel lines, injectors and really messes up your lawnmowers and two-stoke engines.

ferraiolo1

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
and two-stoke engines.

Been running it in my two stroke Dirtbike’s for years. Never messed one up.

And it doesn’t mess up modern vehicles that were designed to run with it. The lower btus is offset by the lower cost.

I wish these trucks were flex fuel so you could unlock the power potential e85 gives you.

Last edited:

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Doesn’t e85 cut mpgs in half or so? I’ve never run it

RAM Patriot

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Oil and natural gas do not come from fossilized dinosaurs! Thus, they are not fossil fuels. That's a myth. ... It was subsequently used more ubiquitously in the early 1900s to give people the idea that petroleum, coal and natural gas come from ancient living things, making them a natural substance.

Users who are viewing this thread