5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

87 or 89 Gas which do you use?

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I fill up with 89 if it's available. Not all gas stations in my area offer mid-grade gasoline so when I'm at one of those I'll try to do a 50/50 mix of 87 and 91 to make my own mid-grade.

GKIII

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I fill up with 89 if it's available. Not all gas stations in my area offer mid-grade gasoline so when I'm at one of those I'll try to do a 50/50 mix of 87 and 91 to make my own mid-grade.
I do this as well.

The one time I did use 87 I heard a light knock exactly as described in the manual and went back to 89 ever since. The knock never came back.

brenan00

Reaction score
That’s what I was thinking, a half a tank of 89 then put the other nozzle with 93 the other half makes 91. This would be at Costco without any corn.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
That’s what I was thinking, a half a tank of 89 then put the other nozzle with 93 the other half makes 91. This would be at Costco without any corn.
Your local Costco sells ethanol free gas? I wish mine did. I haven't found any Costo's in the area which sell that. Not that I'm fueling up at Costco since the closest one is almost an hour away LOL. But I might start shopping there more often if they offered eth free gas.

GKIII

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Your local Costco sells ethanol free gas? I wish mine did. I haven't found any Costo's in the area which sell that. Not that I'm fueling up at Costco since the closest one is almost an hour away LOL. But I might start shopping there more often if they offered eth free gas.
I've only ever seen in it Hawaii. You can check with this though, I've found it to be pretty accurate:

brenan00

Reaction score
I've only ever seen in it Hawaii. You can check with this though, I've found it to be pretty accurate:

I am in Hawaii. So when we move to AZ, we will need to find another system. In Hawaii we pretty much have Chevron gas then all the others (union76, shell,etc..) put their additives in. Tesoro was here but they sold and are another small refinery.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
93 octane either shell or Sunoco. Been using it since first fill up. Probably stupid of me but my truck cost 70k so probably shouldn’t be cheap when it comes to the fuel
Jusr wasting money on the higher octane. And probably hurts performance some.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score

Cool link, thanks for providing that. Guess I should have been more specific though. I was referring to Costco gas, and whether it has eth free. We have access to ethanol free gas here but it's 91 octane, and costs more than $1 more per gallon than regular 87 octane w/ethanol.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I am in Hawaii. So when we move to AZ, we will need to find another system. In Hawaii we pretty much have Chevron gas then all the others (union76, shell,etc..) put their additives in. Tesoro was here but they sold and are another small refinery.
You won't find ethanol free fuel in AZ, they pretty much mirror Cali fuel rules which require at least E-10 for emission reasons.

GKIII

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Cool link, thanks for providing that. Guess I should have been more specific though. I was referring to Costco gas, and whether it has eth free. We have access to ethanol free gas here but it's 91 octane, and costs more than $1 more per gallon than regular 87 octane w/ethanol.
No yea I was saying I've only ever seen ethanol free Costco gas in Hawaii.

MikeyHo808

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I use 87 octane from Sam’s ($3.55/gal, compared to outside price at avg. $3.90/gal) Hawaii did away with the ethanol mandate, but most stations still offer 10% ethanol. Only a handful of stations selling ethanol free (cha-ching$$$). My travel to work is a 44 mile round trip up and down a 2 lane freeway, over the mountain to the other side of the island and back. No heavy towing right now, and majority of miles are uphill freeway miles @ 70mph avg. speed.
Have put on about 4700 miles so far with no issues to report. HEMI tick only at cold startup, and then a nice smooth idle about 10-15 seconds in. My 2004 did the same thing, and I put on 158k on that motor using 87 octane before I sold it. Maybe I’ll drop a tank of mid grade, then 92 octane to see if there is any noticeable difference. But, for what it’s worth, truck runs fine on 87.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
It wont hurt anything unless the octane rating is way higher than whats at the pump

dutchman187

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I cannot find a station around here that offers 89 without ethanol, so I do 20 gallons (fuel saver limit with hy-vee card discount) of 91 no eth and then 8 gallons of 87 no eth. And I have to still bookmark the stations here in Iowa that I can find no ethanol options.

SkittleRam

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have been only using 91 from Costco and minimal ping. I am pretty sure it has ethanol.

SkittleRam

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You're using 91 and still get pinging? That does not sound right.
Yeah, very minimal only for a brief second or two when I floor it and it's really hot outside, once the RPMs are above 3500 it goes way, almost like the computer is a bit slow to adjust timing.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Why do you think I would be hurting performance??🤔
Will create more deposits in cylinder, doesn't offer any advantage over 89 that the truck is tuned for.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Will create more deposits in cylinder, doesn't offer any advantage over 89 that the truck is tuned for.
That would theoretically be true; however, at least one member ran a test at all grades and observed the computer was still pulling timing (slightly) even on 93. So…maybe the HEMI tune leaves some room for additional performance.

Users who are viewing this thread