5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

8.4" to 12" upgrade

Ryno

Reaction score
Di anybody know how to connect hvac dual control thanks
You’re going to need to change the distribution box and add the wiring to work the extra door actuator. I’ve done it in a 4th Gen, I haven’t seen anyone attempt it in the 5th gens yet.

theRamguy

Reaction score
I have same problem the you guys find how to fix the problem thanks
If you are going from single zone manual climate control to a 12 in screen you need to make 1 bcm change with ALFAOBD to enable dual zone ATC then it will work.

Now @jimmycan make a harness and you get a new sun sensor and temp sensor and you can retrofit a single zone auto climate.

To go true dual requires actual work according to Jimmy it is doable but labor intensive and will require a shop to evac your refrigerant and drain your coolant.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220410-152049_AlfaOBD.jpg
    Screenshot_20220410-152049_AlfaOBD.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 70

Sbjoe93

Reaction score
I have swapped my 8.4 no nav radio with a 12 inch screen and module and my hvac controls do not work i have a bighorn with manual temp controls what am I doing wrong
you ever figures yours out? I have same issue.

JustARam23

Reaction score
By any chance does anyone have the part number for the rubber piece on top of the radio bezel? The one the cover the screws at the top. When I went from the 5 inch to the 12 the insert is not to bog

MannymanX

5thGenRams Supporter
Reaction score
By any chance does anyone have the part number for the rubber piece on top of the radio bezel? The one the cover the screws at the top. When I went from the 5 inch to the 12 the insert is not to bog

HYLTONzero

Reaction score
If I have an existing 8.4 screen with CarPlay and I want to upgrade to the 12 inch screen, can I buy just the screen and bezel or do I have to buy a new module as well. Sorry if this has been asked before. Also, is there a cheat sheet for doing this? Thanks in advance.

JustARam23

Reaction score
If I have an existing 8.4 screen with CarPlay and I want to upgrade to the 12 inch screen, can I buy just the screen and bezel or do I have to buy a new module as well. Sorry if this has been asked before. Also, is there a cheat sheet for doing this? Thanks in advance.
You won't need to change the module, just the screen.

But you will need to change to settings in alphaobd to make it work.
Basically you have to let the truck know you have changed to digital controls.

Upgrading the screen will not give you any features you didn't already have. Such a factory nav or sat radio.

beetlespin

Reaction score
Where do you get the software? And has anybody figured out how to check the SW version on the 8.4” non-Nav?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you for contacting Ram Customer Care;

We have received your email regarding Software version concern. To identify the software level you may follow the instructions provided down below.

UBC
UBD
UBE
UBR
UBU
UBF
UBG
UBJ
UBL
UBN
UBQ
UBS
For the Uconnect 5 radios, there are 2 options:
  • VEHICLE option from App Drawer --> Settings
  • APP option from App Drawer --> Settings
Then go to Step 2

2. Choose System Information.

3. Choose Radio Part Information (Uconnect 3 & 4) or Version Information (Uconnect 5) to see software version and application version. Engineering has made a change to more often using the application version, which has something like "MR28.3" in the middle of a long sequence. Make sure to capture both software and application versions. A picture of the customer's screen is most preferred.

4In the event the customer has a concern with their radio AFTER a radio replacement (i.e. the customer's connected services subscription has not transferred to the new radio), there may be additional radio part information needed. Again, a picture of the screen is most preferred.

Uconnect 3/Harman (legacy 2013-2017)Uconnect 4/Panasonic (2017+)
1. Tap the Apps icon in the menu bar at the bottom of the screen
2. Tap App Manager
3. Tap All Apps selection on left side
4. Tap on the Settings selection ( you may need to scroll down)
5. Scroll down and tap on System Information
6. Scroll down until you see ESN, MDN, MEID, etc.
1. Enter Dealer Mode using the steps listed above
2. Tap Connectivity selection
3. MSISDN, ICCID, and IMEI are listed (you may need to scroll to see all options)

Uconnect.jpg

The build number is the software version.

Your software version number would be the build number which is 145.00.15.00 and I confirm that you software is up to date is what I got from Ram support.

jdcoronadom

Reaction score
You won't need to change the module, just the screen.

But you will need to change to settings in alphaobd to make it work.
Basically you have to let the truck know you have changed to digital controls.

Upgrading the screen will not give you any features you didn't already have. Such a factory nav or sat radio.
Really? I was follow the upgrade in this forum for a long time and every time read that is neccesary replace the module the screen and the bizel, are you sure that the module that is in 8.4 fit with the new screen and the connectors match?, because i wish make this upgrade, the screen and the bizel are the cheaper part vs. module

DarodG8R

Reaction score
I did mine and it works perfectly
Can you explain exactly what you had to do to get it to work? You used your existing 8.4 radio module with the new 12 inch screen and it worked, correct?

DarodG8R

Reaction score
I did mine and it works perfectly
What radio did you start with? The 8.4 non nav? Or the 8.4 nav? What did you have to do/purchase to get it to “work perfectly”? You’re the only one in this entire thread that has made that statement!

Hamco8520

Reaction score
I was wanting to do this as well but it just seems like a PITA. My 8.4 screen is delaminating on the sides from the heat I guess, but I was hoping I can just have the dealer install it.

robetamaya03

Reaction score
I tried to use the same module and it did not work, it is necessary to change the module, does anyone know which is the most reliable for my ram 2020 laramie, that is the only part I am missing to be able to finish that I think.

Users who are viewing this thread