5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

6" Lift Kit. Why you chose that brand?

giff71

Reaction score
Zone 6" w UCAs and Fox shocks in the rear. 35 nitto ridge grapplers and 20" fuel sledges. Love it so far, rides great, looks badass. Installer forgot to trim a piece of plastic that was rubbing the driveshaft after the angle change, causing a squeak. Fixing that now and got my radio update today..good day for the Ram!

RamSco

Reaction score
Zone 6" w UCAs and Fox shocks in the rear. 35 nitto ridge grapplers and 20" fuel sledges. Love it so far, rides great, looks badass. Installer forgot to trim a piece of plastic that was rubbing the driveshaft after the angle change, causing a squeak. Fixing that now and got my radio update today..good day for the Ram!
Talk is cheap. Where are the pictures brotha? :)

Todd1500

Reaction score
What wheel width are those and what's the offset?

PorBoy

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
^^^. Oh wow that’s exactly what I have 20x10 -18 Fuel wheels. A13D02A9-163E-4046-9C12-0E7D830EE202.jpeg

PorBoy

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
No it’s Titanium with a grey tint, I chose it as it changes color like my Billet silver does. :)

Todd1500

Reaction score
They look like 20x12 -44 in those pics. Either way it looks killer!
That was my thought. Those wheels do come in both those sizes as well as a few different 20x9 sizes. That lip looks like a 20x12.

giff71

Reaction score
That was my thought. Those wheels do come in both those sizes as well as a few different 20x9 sizes. That lip looks like a 20x12.
Definitely 20x10, the wheel has a decent lip to begin with. Above, i meant there was only one offset on the 20x10, they have plenty of other sizes though.

ghostface35

Reaction score
Good Evening,

I'm looking at lifting my Ram after having a leveling kit installed. I am unhappy with the results. I have reached out to my local off road shop and they recommend the BDS kit.
What 6" lift kits do y'all recommend and why? I've really considering rough country mainly due to price but I'm not sure of the ride quality.

I've been researching for a little over a year for my '20. I just bought the 6" BDS kit w/ upgraded Fox shocks, UCAs, skids, cross member relocation bracket, etc. (the works on the kit). Purchased it from a shop in Alexandria, KY. Got a very good deal, based on the BDS website, and other retailers/quotes I'd been given. Putting Method MR305 (18x9, -12) Nitto Trail Grappler 35x12.5 to accompany it. You can put the 37's on with this kit, but then you get into re-gearing, and I am not ready to deal with that stuff yet.
I drove a friend of a friend's truck (also a 5th gen) prior to pulling the trigger with the same lift, different wheels/tires, but it was better than factory ride on road, and amazing when I got it off road (nothing extreme, but enough to take it easy), to my surprise. The shop explained the same thing about Zone that others have mentioned, but also said the warranty with the manufacture and BDS is beyond solid, and Zone's isn't quite there yet. I got the extended 125k mile warranty, so I wanted to make sure I was safe there.
Also, the shop does not do Rough Country anything, due to problem after problem in the past. He said the 2.5" coil over kit was just as comfortable, if I wasn't interested in going so high.

I was a bit disappointed to learn a lot of those manufacturers were limited during the COVID crisis, and are just now starting to get back at capacity. I have about a 3 week wait to receive and install. Other than that, I am pretty happy with the decision, and looking forward to it. I will report back once it has been completed.

Scourge

Reaction score
I've been researching for a little over a year for my '20. I just bought the 6" BDS kit w/ upgraded Fox shocks, UCAs, skids, cross member relocation bracket, etc. (the works on the kit). Purchased it from a shop in Alexandria, KY. Got a very good deal, based on the BDS website, and other retailers/quotes I'd been given. Putting Method MR305 (18x9, -12) Nitto Trail Grappler 35x12.5 to accompany it. You can put the 37's on with this kit, but then you get into re-gearing, and I am not ready to deal with that stuff yet.
I drove a friend of a friend's truck (also a 5th gen) prior to pulling the trigger with the same lift, different wheels/tires, but it was better than factory ride on road, and amazing when I got it off road (nothing extreme, but enough to take it easy), to my surprise. The shop explained the same thing about Zone that others have mentioned, but also said the warranty with the manufacture and BDS is beyond solid, and Zone's isn't quite there yet. I got the extended 125k mile warranty, so I wanted to make sure I was safe there.
Also, the shop does not do Rough Country anything, due to problem after problem in the past. He said the 2.5" coil over kit was just as comfortable, if I wasn't interested in going so high.

I was a bit disappointed to learn a lot of those manufacturers were limited during the COVID crisis, and are just now starting to get back at capacity. I have about a 3 week wait to receive and install. Other than that, I am pretty happy with the decision, and looking forward to it. I will report back once it has been completed.

Can I assume the 6" kit you are referring to is the one that is like 2200-2300 on BDS website? Pretty curious as to what a good price is on it. Everywhere by me seems to be straight retail price. 750ish on uca's. 800 for install. 125 alignment, free mount balance. This is month 3 with my truck, and pretty locked into this kit. Im still on the 35 vs 37 fence, as I have 3.92's but really paranoid about turning truck into a dog. Should probably just order the lift, and amp steps, and that would give me a deadline to decide on tires by, lol

Todd1500

Reaction score
I read Carli's blog saying they think you should leave 37s to the 3/4 ton pickups. They say 37s are too heavy for 1/2 tons. They suggest not going over 35s.

FuriousDZ

Reaction score
I went with BDS coilover kit after doing some extensive research mainly because they have a good rep, good warranty and lots of positive reviews on ride quality.
If you do go with them make sure you register on 560plus.com which is supplemental drive train warranty for 5yrs/100,000 mile. I went with the 6" DSC coil over w/UCA and the ride is incredible.
IMG-0177.jpg IMG-0178.jpg

Mikejones11

Reaction score
To me it matters what level you want to go with. If you have the money for coilovers do the bds. If you are going to run the strut spacers you will be have with the zone or RC. I wanted to do the zone but it was like a 6 week back order. I ended up ordering the RC (strut spacer one). I can’t complain with the kit. Rides great and I have zero issues.

ghostface35

Reaction score
Can I assume the 6" kit you are referring to is the one that is like 2200-2300 on BDS website? Pretty curious as to what a good price is on it. Everywhere by me seems to be straight retail price. 750ish on uca's. 800 for install. 125 alignment, free mount balance. This is month 3 with my truck, and pretty locked into this kit. Im still on the 35 vs 37 fence, as I have 3.92's but really paranoid about turning truck into a dog. Should probably just order the lift, and amp steps, and that would give me a deadline to decide on tires by, lol

Retail from website is what you will pay, unless you find somebody who ordered one, and is just trying to get rid of it (warranty will not apply).
With all upgrades on 6" Coilover, it was about $4500 - Base kit was around $2300 - Shop ordered it as they are a dealer and certified installer, no markup on their end.
https://bds-suspension.com/kit-customizer?kid=1661F

I went 35" tire. You will feel a little difference with the 35", you will feel a massive difference with the 37". My thought was if I want the 37" I can add that when the 35's are ready to be replaced. You wouldn't HAVE to regear, but it would lose the power at low end and towing big time if you did not.
Me personally, I'd go with the 35's.... Just because the clearance is there for a 37" and it would definitely look BADASK, doesn't mean the powertrain will agree.

Users who are viewing this thread