5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

$6.00 gas prices? Thoughts

BluegrassMotorsport

Reaction score
I really want is a plug-in hybrid truck, that would be amazing, best of both Worlds scenario for me, EV full size truck at this point, not sure, lets see how the Ford Lighting does.
This is the real answer. Plug-in hyrbids are the most reasonable solution. Most drivers could commute to and from work on a charge and have ICE to takeover for longer trips. The full EV push is a load of bull.

jl13

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Perfect combo, maybe combine them into one :)

I really want is a plug-in hybrid truck, that would be amazing, best of both Worlds scenario for me, EV full size truck at this point, not sure, lets see how the Ford Lighting does.
If the final product looks like this at a reasonable 60K fully loaded 😅 - I would jump on it

eerattler

Reaction score
This is the real answer. Plug-in hyrbids are the most reasonable solution. Most drivers could commute to and from work on a charge and have ICE to takeover for longer trips. The full EV push is a load of bull.
It will be until the charging network capacity catches up. I love my Tesla but it isn’t practical for long trips for most of the routes I’d want to take to visit family or close friends.

If we can get things like this going in the US it may change the calculus.

Mountain Whiskey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I hate the punch in the gut every few days at the pump. I had a 4 cyl Frontier before. It got 20 mpg. I now get 14 to 15. So for a 5 mpg bump, the overpriced trucks now would not be worth it. Car? I have one it is big and has a gas sucking V8 in it too.

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It would make zero financial sense to trade-in your vehicle to save on gas, you would be literally spending thousands to save hundreds. It would only make sense if you were already scheduled to do it, getting rid of an older vehicle for a new one, but certainly not one you bought fairly recently.

Gas prices are going to drop again, it may take months or a couple of years, but it will happen. Now, if it goes up to $10 a gallon, that's a different story.
History will probably repeat itself from 08 when a bunch of people sold their trucks for small cars and then they ended up trading back to trucks a truck a year or two later when oil prices stabilized only to realize trading the truck was a foolish move. Just like the people that freak out when the stock market tanks and sell thier stocks at the absolute worst possible time.

Last edited:

Dewey

Reaction score
Only thing I worry about is gas prices quickly driving down my current truck value before my new one gets delivered. Already seeing signs it’s happening. Down $5-6000 from 2 months ago. 😡

jljbtm

Reaction score
Now that summer is here I'll be driving my Miata and getting 30mpg
I know this doesnt solve things but it will be better than driving my Ram 5.7L 100+ miles a day

Reldn

Reaction score
Nope, no change here. Despite the pain at the pump I fully intend to keep my Truck. We discovered when our F-150 was slowly dying and weren't going to drive it until the Ram arrived that we really do a lot of stuff that requires a Truck. I have one other gas guzzler I may end up selling/trading, but, the Ram stays! *laughs*

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yep panic trade it in for something compact that’s gets good mpg then prices stabilize and you’ll end up taking a huge L when you want back into something with space. If anything get said compact as a second vehicle. I had thoughts on leasing something cheap if possible that’s gets good mpg and just rotating what I bring on the road every few months but haven’t really put much research into it. Probably the worse time to consider getting another fun car lol that’s gonna get crap mpg but that would also sit for months at a time until I take some time off and head back home and won’t be driven much more then in the city.

Dewey

Reaction score
Where’s our stimulus checks for gasoline relief?🤔

Oh yeah…….I pocketed all that free money from covid relief even though I was never out of work.🙄

Figure that check will be coming sometime before the mid-terms. Mark my words.

DSTJ99

Reaction score
Not for me. We have a 3 row SUV, lifted Wrangler and the Ram and average about 20k miles between all three per year so the extra few hundred per month isn’t going to sway us to buy something else. Even if RAM came out with a 30 MPG version that was awesome the sticker premium probably would out weigh the savings immediately.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jl13

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Where’s our stimulus checks for gasoline relief?🤔

Oh yeah…….I pocketed all that free money from covid relief even though I was never out of work.🙄

Figure that check will be coming sometime before the mid-terms. Mark my words.
Heard its on the books for oct here in CA.
400 per car, max 2 checks.
Well I got a single relief check myself, no sense to me but wasn't gonna refuse it.
Mod money or gas money if you save it

mophead

Reaction score
Now that summer is here I'll be driving my Miata and getting 30mpg
I know this doesnt solve things but it will be better than driving my Ram 5.7L 100+ miles a day
Hammer down in that Miata? Only 30 mpg? I'm getting 33 in my turbo 6. Was getting 37 in my 16 non turbo.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
So I know gas prices and MPGs are talked about often. Yes, we all bought our trucks not expecting to get great fuel mileage. But, now that prices are projected to reach $6.00 a gallon for regular unleaded by the end of summer, has this changed your mind about keeping your truck? Curious to hear yall's thoughts.
About to take mine on a 1,200-mile drive (one way). It is what it is.

Many years ago, I sold a Chevy 3/4-ton with the 8.1L/Allison powertrain when gas prices hit $4/gallon. I haven’t forgotten that mistake.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I do like that diesel price is staying steady here while gas price is rising. I hope the gap closes more instead of the burden being on diesel. Even with a barrel of crude making ~8 gallons less than gasoline, the $2 per gallon difference doesn’t make sense when it wasn’t that historically.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
I do like that diesel price is staying steady here while gas price is rising. I hope the gap closes more instead of the burden being on diesel. Even with a barrel of crude making ~8 gallons less than gasoline, the $2 per gallon difference doesn’t make sense when it wasn’t that historically.
Diesel prices are not helping inflation either, and needs to drop. The cost to ship just about everything is is reflected to the consumer at the store. We need to be energy independent again instead of relying on OPEC, and asking countries like Venezuela to send us oil. Lower fuel costs will help everyone in all aspects.

Ninety-9 SE-L

Reaction score
Having just bought mine, I'm pretty much going to stick with it. At the end of the day, I need the truck, but I don't need it every day.

With the EcoDiesel RWD, I got the most fuel-efficient pickup truck on the market for a reason, it's actually the most fuel efficient vehicle I've owned, and that includes the disappointing mileage I was getting in my outgoing CX-5 GT. For some reason, I couldn't even pull off 27mpg on the highway, level ground, 70mph on cruise control. IMO, the Ram ain't a bad choice.

Now, IF gas/diesel prices went up to $6+:
First: I'd ask my boss for a raise to justify the drive.
Second: I'd go ahead and sell my Nissan Frontier and replace it with a cheap (used) BEV or PHEV commuter.

I need about 50mi of range, daily. I'd keep the Ram and use it only on days I need it, I could shuffle cars with my wife, who works from home. I'd get a used Leaf or something that only has about 65-100mi of electric range. It would be a single-purpose vehicle and I'd probably spend time charging it on solar (I have a solar-powered trailer that I could juice up to 2,000W for about 6 peak daylight hours).

Users who are viewing this thread