5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

$6.00 gas prices? Thoughts

firemedic10584

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So I know gas prices and MPGs are talked about often. Yes, we all bought our trucks not expecting to get great fuel mileage. But, now that prices are projected to reach $6.00 a gallon for regular unleaded by the end of summer, has this changed your mind about keeping your truck? Curious to hear yall's thoughts.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
So that means $8/gal for me. Yaaaay.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
It's absolutely nuts. Has it made you consider trading out of your truck? Or still going to keep it no matter what?
I feel like I lose no matter what with this truck. I hated the 15mpg of my ‘21 hemi and traded it in on a ‘22 ecodiesel just to have this happen. I gave up trying to fight things for now and am just riding it out.

firemedic10584

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I feel like I lose no matter what with this truck. I hated the 15mpg of my ‘21 hemi and traded it in on a ‘22 ecodiesel just to have this happen. I give up trying to fight things for now and am just riding it out.
I hear you. I've considered trading out for a Grand Cherokee. They're probably not a whole lot better on fuel compared to the truck. But the way it's going, I don't know that we'll see sub $4.00 gasoline again.

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I'll be keeping mine no matter what, until it's paid off and start eyeing a TRX

Dewey

Reaction score
I’ll always have a truck. As much stuff as I haul around I couldn’t live without one. Many other areas to cut spending to offset gas prices. Worst case I’ll swap vehicles with my wife since our work commutes are drastically different.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I'm keeping mine. I'll just be driving the Audi to work more often to keep my fuel expenses down.

MO Rebel

Reaction score
I hear you. I've considered trading out for a Grand Cherokee. They're probably not a whole lot better on fuel compared to the truck. But the way it's going, I don't know that we'll see sub $4.00 gasoline again.
I won’t give up this truck regardless of what the dip$hit$ in DC push gas prices too. I specifically bought it thinking it would probably be the last new V8 truck I’ll own.

My ‘20 Grand Cherokee with the 3.6 gets 21-22 mpg pretty consistently (might drop to 20.X during the winter months). If you get the HEMI in the GC, I doubt it would be much better than the Ram though. To me, the 3.6 has plenty of power in the GC.

With the right vote this November and again in 2024, there’s no reason sub $3 gas couldn’t be doable again.

eye exaggerate

Reaction score
230 per week right now, it’s drastic

I need a truck for work and electric isn’t there quite yet - or actually economical. I don’t think that the 6 with turbos will be any better, but I don’t know for sure.

BluegrassMotorsport

Reaction score
It's been on my mind. I had a 4 cylinder Audi before my truck that was a ball of fun and got a million miles to the gallon. But it wasn't a truck. I'm eyeing a promotion and if I get it then the truck stays. If not, it will be tough to justify keeping. I don't think gas prices will stay high forever so I think it would be wise to ride it out for a little while at least.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
230 per week right now, it’s drastic

I need a truck for work and electric isn’t there quite yet - or actually economical. I don’t think that the 6 with turbos will be any better, but I don’t know for sure.
Right now I’m at a minimum of $250/week. If I drive on the weekend somewhere far away (which happens often), I can add another $125 or so to that weeky total.

That being said, I still don’t have a desire to drive a roller skate every day.

ferraiolo1

Reaction score
Eh you get used to it. And then when you get in the truck it’s like a special treat.

$30 used to fill my focus tank and last about a week.

Now it’s $60 to fill.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brewdad

Reaction score
This morning's news I was watching stated that many gas station owners were reprograming their signs to accept an additional digit if they need to show a price of ten dollars a gallon or higher.

sylent_snyper

Reaction score
I'm fortunate I have a company car so the truck only gets used on weekends for errands and grabbing stuff for house/yard work. I end up filling up once every 4-6 weeks so while the price to fill the tank sucks, I'm not bending over nearly as often as most of you guys are forced to. At this point I don't have any plans on selling it.

We're driving down to OBX in a couple months for vacation and I'm hoping that maybe the high fuel cost might actually bring the traffic and crowds down a little bit.

ekaz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My girlfriend has a 2020 GC with a 5.7, granted we do a lot of shot distance drives, but gas mileage between the 2 isn't that far off. Truck is much more comfortable so I don't think giving up the truck for the GC is worth it...and I've had a GC myself since 2009 and liked them alot.....until I sat in the RAM

Idahoktm

Reaction score
This morning's news I was watching stated that many gas station owners were reprograming their signs to accept an additional digit if they need to show a price of ten dollars a gallon or higher.
That's just more sensational journalism. If gas goes to $10 per gallon (unlikely), the economy will crash, which in turn will lower gas prices.

Users who are viewing this thread