5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

$6.00 gas prices? Thoughts

BluegrassMotorsport

Reaction score
That's just more sensational journalism. If gas goes to $10 per gallon (unlikely), the economy will crash, which in turn will lower gas prices.
Agreed. They claimed $10 gas when Obama took office which never happened. The gas companies are all in bed together and as greedy as they are, they aren't going to price themselves into making no money at all.

SkittleRam

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I am fortunate that my commute is very short, so my tank(33gl) will last about 3-4 weeks.

As of now, I don't plan to sell it. My current plan is to keep the truck indefinitely(I always seem to need a truck) and in a few years get an EV daily driver.

Richard320

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
LA County, People's Republic of California
So I know gas prices and MPGs are talked about often. Yes, we all bought our trucks not expecting to get great fuel mileage. But, now that prices are projected to reach $6.00 a gallon for regular unleaded by the end of summer, has this changed your mind about keeping your truck? Curious to hear yall's thoughts.
"projected to reach $6.00 a gallon ":ROFLMAO::LOL::ROFLMAO:

That was a month ago here! Get with the times!

TTFD753

Reaction score
Plan is to keep until the electric version is available for us poor folk to purchase.
It's my daily, with a 40 mile round trip commute 1/2 city 1/2 highway. If no other trips, I can go about two weeks on the 33 gal tank. But that $130 fill up sure does sting.
This truck is too much fun to drive to even think about getting something more economical. Not a fan of riding in cars or crossovers, I just feel like I am sitting on the road. Enjoy being high up and having the ability to see over the car in front of me.

AV8OR

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That's just more sensational journalism. If gas goes to $10 per gallon (unlikely), the economy will crash, which in turn will lower gas prices.

Never say never, when I was a kid the gas pumps couldn’t go above $0.99 per gallon.

With the OPEC oil embargo in 1973 the gas stations just set the pumps to half the price per gallon and doubled your purchase price at the register.

I guess $10 plus per gallon is the all new $0.99 technology hurtle.

Idahoktm

Reaction score
Never say never, when I was a kid the gas pumps couldn’t go above $0.99 per gallon.

With the OPEC oil embargo in 1973 the gas stations just set the pumps to half the price per gallon and doubled your purchase price at the register.

I guess $10 plus per gallon is the all new $0.99 technology hurtle.
I'm not concerned. Just like when oil dropped to negative prices. It's just not sustainable over the long term.

jl13

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I am keeping mine and riding things, wish to keep it long term and if in 4-5 years it can somehow get converted into electric I would look into that, maybe
My daily commute is with in 5 miles each way but all city and I alternate vehicles but I don't think its that much better its a GC with a small lift and bigger tires as well
I might also make a move into rural area in a year or so, not sure an EV would make sense then

eerattler

Reaction score
I am keeping mine and riding things, wish to keep it long term and if in 4-5 years it can somehow get converted into electric I would look into that, maybe
My daily commute is with in 5 miles each way but all city and I alternate vehicles but I don't think its that much better its a GC with a small lift and bigger tires as well
I might also make a move into rural area in a year or so, not sure an EV would make sense then
It might if you have the electrical capacity in your breaker box and the space to add an electric charger.

eerattler

Reaction score
Around my way (north west metro Atlanta) midrange is running between 4.34 and 4.89 a gallon. I'm definitely keeping an eye on it and making use of the Tesla for where it makes sense.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
My thoughts is that it’s BS. It’s a problem inflicted on the American citizens to push an agenda, and then blame it on something happening on the other side of the world. Then say you’re doing everything possible to lower the price, and in the same breathe shut down thousands and thousands of drilling land, plus pipe lines.

I’ll be keeping my truck. If I try to buy another one later it’ll be 80k for a big horn anyway. C ya on the road ✌🏻

Last edited:

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Nope truck still stays I don’t like compact cars especially when I’m in the road traveling. Filled up this morning before heading to a jobsite it’s was $4.59 ish here right by St Louis cross over to IL where the job is and it’s $4.89. I’ll just sigh and complain every time not jumping on the we need to go electric bs that their pushing without the proper infrastructure to support someone like myself that doesn’t just work in town in the city they reside in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

eerattler

Reaction score
My thoughts is that it’s BS. It’s a problem inflicted on the American citizens to push and agenda, and then blame it on something happening on the other side of the world. Then say you’re doing everything possible to lower the price, and in the same breathe shut down thousands and thousands of drilling land, plus pipe lines.

I’ll be keeping my truck. If I try to buy another one later it’ll be 80k for a big horn anyway. C ya on the road ✌🏻
You may find this article helpful in explaining the "Why".

America Is the World’s Largest Oil Producer. So Why Is Losing Russia’s Oil Such a Big Deal?

SD Rebel

Reaction score
It would make zero financial sense to trade-in your vehicle to save on gas, you would be literally spending thousands to save hundreds. It would only make sense if you were already scheduled to do it, getting rid of an older vehicle for a new one, but certainly not one you bought fairly recently.

Gas prices are going to drop again, it may take months or a couple of years, but it will happen. Now, if it goes up to $10 a gallon, that's a different story.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
Perfect combo, maybe combine them into one :)

I really want is a plug-in hybrid truck, that would be amazing, best of both Worlds scenario for me, EV full size truck at this point, not sure, lets see how the Ford Lighting does.

Users who are viewing this thread