5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

5th Gen Towing - reducing sway and sag

I ordered them with rebel springs and they came preset at clip 3. If I could do it over again I would have done clip 4

Maybe I am missing something. Is there an extra spacer that ORP or rebels use?

My thinking was if I used rebel/orp coils and setting 3 on the 5100’s I should have gained 2” of lift.

1” from the coil and 1” from the rebel/orp coil.

IMG_2127.jpeg

I am going to try out another set of rear coils. I think I’m going to test out the 351-893HD’s. I think the XHD’s are a bit too much and not allowing me to get weight back on the front tires like the WDH should. Plus it’s way easier than removing the front coils to readjust the 5100’s.

Plus it’s way easier than removing the front coils to readjust the 5100’s.

😳 not confidence inspiring for me! I’m heading out to do the rear shocks right now and plan on tackling the fronts tomorrow

😳 not confidence inspiring for me! I’m heading out to do the rear shocks right now and plan on tackling the fronts tomorrow

Curious how have you been liking the 893hd’s?

Were they stiffer than stock?

How’s the shocks going?

Curious how have you been liking the 893hd’s?
Were they stiffer than stock?

How’s the shocks going?
the 893s are phenomenal. I gained about 1 1/4in over my stock measurements. But given how it can change and my ever present human error..I’m sure I really only gained the 1 inch that’s advertised with the springs. The ride is ever so slightly stiffer for daily driving but noticeably better while towing. The daily driving is still very comfortable, i have been pleased that I didn’t have to sacrifice the well known comfort of the ram with these springs.

Once I dialed in my weight distribution Hitch a little bit more it is by far the best truck is set up I’ve ever had for the travel trailer.

I’ve also recently come to realize that my tongue weight is probably significantly heavier than I think it is. Once I get a few bucks set aside again I’m going to buy one of those tongue weight measurement devices to figure out where I actually sit.

I just finished putting on the 5100s today and have only taken a test drive with them but so far I am impressed. I’m sure they’ll make towing even better next weekend.
IMG_4573.jpegIMG_4574.jpegIMG_4579.jpeg

Last edited:
You are going to love those 5100’s! They helped so much with dive, body roll, and making the truck feel so much more planted.

Did you raise the front up any with the clip or did you do stock height?

the 893s are phenomenal. I gained about 1 1/4in over my stock measurements. But given how it can change and my ever present human error..I’m sure I really only gained the 1 inch that’s advertised with the springs. The ride is ever so slightly stiffer for daily driving but noticeably better while towing. The daily driving is still very comfortable, i have been pleased that I didn’t have to sacrifice the well known comfort of the ram with these springs.

Once I dialed in my weight distribution Hitch a little bit more it is by far the best truck is set up I’ve ever had for the travel trailer.

I’ve also recently come to realize that my tongue weight is probably significantly heavier than I think it is. Once I get a few bucks set aside again I’m going to buy one of those tongue weight measurement devices to figure out where I actually sit.

I just finished putting on the 5100s today and have only taken a test drive with them but so far I am impressed. I’m sure they’ll make towing even better next weekend.
View attachment 191431View attachment 191432View attachment 191433
How difficult was it compressing your coils and installing the 5100’s?

How difficult was it compressing your coils and installing the 5100’s?
not hard at all. I used a decent set of compressors and I appose the direction the ratchet attachment is on. No real logic to that but ive always done it and been successful. The install was straight forward and easy since I took my time and drank heavily the entire after noon.

not hard at all. I used a decent set of compressors and I appose the direction the ratchet attachment is on. No real logic to that but ive always done it and been successful. The install was straight forward and easy since I took my time and drank heavily the entire after noon.
Haha! I probably should have done the same. I was so sore from wrenching. That’s what a desk job will do you tho.

I ordered some large metric ratcheting wrenches and plan to take mine all back apart to adjust the clip.

Also going to order up a set of the Variable 893’s. I am thinking of doing the XHD’s as I like the 2” lift in the rear. I should have done the variable from the start as the non have no give what so ever. Great for towing but when your not towing and hit railroad tracks or a really crappy road it bounces all over the place. Like tires bouncing off the ground.

I think the non variable are great for those who keep 500-800lbs in their bed at all times. No so great when empty.

Haha! I probably should have done the same. I was so sore from wrenching. That’s what a desk job will do you tho.

I ordered some large metric ratcheting wrenches and plan to take mine all back apart to adjust the clip.

Also going to order up a set of the Variable 893’s. I am thinking of doing the XHD’s as I like the 2” lift in the rear. I should have done the variable from the start as the non have no give what so ever. Great for towing but when your not towing and hit railroad tracks or a really crappy road it bounces all over the place. Like tires bouncing off the ground.

I think the non variable are great for those who keep 500-800lbs in their bed at all times. No so great when empty.

these made the whole job WAY easier. Only thing I wish I had was the 21mm ratcheting wrench. Ill be grabbing one soon though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back