5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

5th Gen Stock Stereo Upgrade Options?

YoAdrian

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
So, sorry if this is basic or a repost but just want to be sure. I have the 8.4 lcd in a big horn but the basic 6 speaker sounds system (i believe). Can i replace the corner dash speakers with 3.5 speakers and the four doors with 6x9? I believe i have ANC. Do i need anything other than the speakers and a wiring harness for each? I have i thing coming out of the center dash speaker and don’t need to replace anything there, correct? Crutchfield says something about the ohms and that volume will be lower and so, I’ll admit, I’m thoroughly confused here. Any guidance would be very much appreciated!
Short answer, yes you can swap out the speakers. Dash is easy, doors are a little more involved (remove door panel, deactivate the ANC). Here’s what I would do @Kork
1 - Confirm which system you have... does the center dash cover say Alpine, or do you have speakers in the headliner? If not, and you have a V8 Hemi, then yep you have 6 speaker base with ANC.
2 - Determine what’s your goal, budget, and how much time do you want to spend? How comfortable are you ripping the door panels off, or removing/cutting the wires going to the ANC/amp module? For better sound your options range from simply finding better music sources (super easy), replace 3.5s only (easy), replace 3.5s+6x9s and deactivate the ANC (harder, this is what I did), or replace the amp and speakers + add a sub (like @WRH did, hardest).
3 - You can just replace the 3.5” dash speakers for better highs, super easy cheap option. Some use JBLs, I used JL Audio (with trimming and bass blockers). Lots of options but yes if you want balanced sound volume look at the impedance (ohms) and sensitivity (dB) of your replacement speakers... or trust someone else’s opinion/recommendation on speakers.
4 - You can also replace all 6 speakers, just pay attention to not exceed the max depth of the magnet or height of the tweeter. You don’t want interference with the window mechanism or the door panel. Perhaps my install posts will help, did you read them already? It’s a series of posts so you have to follow my links to complete the story. Good luck!

Kork

Reaction score
Short answer, yes you can swap out the speakers. Dash is easy, doors are a little more involved (remove door panel, deactivate the ANC). Here’s what I would do @Kork
1 - Confirm which system you have... does the center dash cover say Alpine, or do you have speakers in the headliner? If not, and you have a V8 Hemi, then yep you have 6 speaker base with ANC.
2 - Determine what’s your goal, budget, and how much time do you want to spend? How comfortable are you ripping the door panels off, or removing/cutting the wires going to the ANC/amp module? For better sound your options range from simply finding better music sources (super easy), replace 3.5s only (easy), replace 3.5s+6x9s and deactivate the ANC (harder, this is what I did), or replace the amp and speakers + add a sub (like @WRH did, hardest).
3 - You can just replace the 3.5” dash speakers for better highs, super easy cheap option. Some use JBLs, I used JL Audio (with trimming and bass blockers). Lots of options but yes if you want balanced sound volume look at the impedance (ohms) and sensitivity (dB) of your replacement speakers... or trust someone else’s opinion/recommendation on speakers.
4 - You can also replace all 6 speakers, just pay attention to not exceed the max depth of the magnet or height of the tweeter. You don’t want interference with the window mechanism or the door panel. Perhaps my install posts will help, did you read them already? It’s a series of posts so you have to follow my links to complete the story. Good luck!

I appreciate the detailed response. I have the base 6 speaker package. I guess ill start with the dash speakers and work up to doors. I’ve had nice systems in past cars with amps, woofers, etc, that I’ve run myself, but this truck feels like it has a little too much going on to go down that road!

I see a lot of discussion around i this thread around disconnecting the ANC amp. Why was it determined that is necessary with just a speaker upgrade?

Akpilot

Reaction score
I switched all 4 door speakers with 3 way JL 6x9’s and didn’t touch the ANC. Sounds great no interference. I have the 6 speaker system. Haven’t touched the front two yet. Need to look into how your remove those, i assume dash removal is needed?

YoAdrian

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I switched all 4 door speakers with 3 way JL 6x9’s and didn’t touch the ANC. Sounds great no interference. I have the 6 speaker system. Haven’t touched the front two yet. Need to look into how your remove those, i assume dash removal is needed?
The two dash speakers are easy... nylon pry tool under the corner covers, they pop right out. Two philips screws per speaker, get the metra harnesses referenced previously.

If your ANC works with different 6x9s I may have to hook it up again and have service test it out...

Akpilot

Reaction score
JL C1-690tx. Thinking about getting matching 3.5’s but sounds like I lucked out with lack of interference and don’t want to push it...

YoAdrian

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
JL C1-690tx. Thinking about getting matching 3.5’s but sounds like I lucked out with lack of interference and don’t want to push it...
Nice. I love the sound of my JLs! I can recommend the C2s for the dash they sound amazeballs... slight trimming of the tabs required.

I’m beginning to wonder if my ANC unit is not functioning properly so maybe you’ll be ok. Maybe that was @Kork ’s point, that a speaker swap shouldn’t break the ANC system... I know WRH had problems with it trying to run a new amp and DSP.

Kork

Reaction score
YoAdrian, I appreciate all the help!

I'm ready to hit submit on a crutchfield order of kickers, 3.5" for the dash and 6.5's for the doors, but just do not want to deal with the ANC issues. Anyone else successfully upgrade without having to mess with the ANC?

Akpilot

Reaction score
Nice. I love the sound of my JLs! I can recommend the C2s for the dash they sound amazeballs... slight trimming of the tabs required.

I’m beginning to wonder if my ANC unit is not functioning properly so maybe you’ll be ok. Maybe that was @Kork ’s point, that a speaker swap shouldn’t break the ANC system... I know WRH had problems with it trying to run a new amp and DSP.

Thanks for info. Understand the trimming of tabs. You had to order a harness to plug into the 3.5”’s? Can you link what you ordered? Also can you expand on the trimming of the dash speaker cover.

YoAdrian

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score

I'm ready to hit submit on a crutchfield order of kickers, 3.5" for the dash and 6.5's for the doors, but just do not want to deal with the ANC issues. Anyone else successfully upgrade without having to mess with the ANC?
Cool, good luck hope yours works like akpilot’s... Why not 6x9s though, since that’s what fits in there? https://www.crutchfield.com/p_206KSC6930/Kicker-44KSC69304.html

YoAdrian

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks for info. Understand the trimming of tabs. You had to order a harness to plug into the 3.5”’s? Can you link what you ordered? Also can you expand on the trimming of the dash speaker cover.
Details and pictures of how I trimmed and wired them (with bass blockers) back here; if you buy the Metra 72-7902 harnesses you’ll save some wiring work. I found them here.

Akpilot

Reaction score
Details and pictures of how I trimmed and wired them (with bass blockers) back here; if you buy the Metra 72-7902 harnesses you’ll save some wiring work. I found them here.

Thanks found the Metra’s. What’s the advantage of the bass blockers? If you don’t use them do the factory wire harness’ plug into the 3.5” JL’s? Or do you need them either way.

troutspinner

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Don’t do the 6.5’s if you do not intend to add a sub. You will lose so much base and you’ll regret it.

YoAdrian

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks found the Metra’s. What’s the advantage of the bass blockers? If you don’t use them do the factory wire harness’ plug into the 3.5” JL’s?
The harnesses work great without modifying at all, slide onto the spade connectors on the speaker at one end, and plug into the truck at the other.

The bass blockers are not required, I just soldered them inline as protection to keep me from blowing the 3.5s when the bass is cranked... really just a non-polarized capacitor that effectively filters out low frequencies (<300hz) - I get my bass from the 6x9s in the doors.

YoAdrian

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks. The same 6x9's will fit both front and rear?
Look at your Kicker speaker measurements carefully... the JL C2s had a 78mm depth and I nearly had window interference with the rubber magnet boot and the wires hanging back too far. Tucking the wires took care of that problem.

Also, the stock bushing on top of the 6x9 speaker is 14mm and the JL one was 19mm (taller tweeters). The door panel curved around it ok, but you just need to be aware of these fitment concerns. I would not say the JLs were a “perfect” fit but they were good enough for me. Don’t know about the Kickers.

Kork

Reaction score

With the JL C1-690tx being 4 ohm, did you notice lower volume? Crutchfield is telling me that will be an issue. And just to be clear, you used this speaker in all four doors and fit was ok (recognizing Yoadrian's comment about tucking the wire correctly).

YoAdrian

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
With the JL C1-690tx being 4 ohm, did you notice lower volume? Crutchfield is telling me that will be an issue. And just to be clear, you used this speaker in all four doors and fit was ok (recognizing Yoadrian's comment about tucking the wire correctly).
Good question. I know you asked AKPilot, but I’ll mention that the higher impedance (4 ohm vs 2 ohm) can be offset by a higher sensitivity rating regarding volume/watt. My JL C2s have a relatively high 93 dB sensitivity... no idea what the stock sensitivity was but it proved to overcome the higher impedance.

bobby11210

Reaction score
I looked up the jl 6x9 stated above and on crutchfield it days they don't fit for the doors. Do you have a bighorn crewman with 6 speaker system also?

Users who are viewing this thread