5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

5th Gen MDS Disable

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
For the new body style (non-Classic) Ram, 2019+, also known as the DT Rams, ECO and MDS appear to be the same. This is confirmed for 2019-2020. I doubt Stellantis (new name for FCA + PSA) would bother to change the programming for 2021, but weirder things have happened I suppose.
I have a 2021 and I can confirm that what you stated above has NOT changed for 2021.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
I never dreamed it would be so annoying, ( especially with after market muffler ), to have the MDS kicking on and off. I've watched as many vids on YT as I could find for eliminating/disabling the MDS. It seems there is no other way than to have to keep putting Drive up to the 8th gear over and over. Any new input on this. Thanks
I feel your pain. I had a B2 exhaust with a beautiful growl that was ruined every time MDS kicked in. Bugged me so much that I removed it and went back to stock. Luckily I had kept the OEM muffler. I know that tow/haul disables it. Just did not want to do this every time I started the truck. First world problems, I know, but a pain nonetheless.

Cheers,

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
I feel your pain. I had a B2 exhaust with a beautiful growl that was ruined every time MDS kicked in. Bugged me so much that I removed it and went back to stock. Luckily I had kept the OEM muffler. I know that tow/haul disables it. Just did not want to do this every time I started the truck. First world problems, I know, but a pain nonetheless.

Cheers,
It takes less than 1 pound of force to press the GEAR LIMIT button to -8 and your thumb is already on the steering wheel..........:oops:

I love you man, but to put that honking factory can back on and remove that nice rumble from your HEMI makes no sense to me.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
It takes less than 1 pound of force to press the GEAR LIMIT button to -8 and your thumb is already on the steering wheel..........:oops:

I love you man, but to put that honking factory can back on and remove that nice rumble from your HEMI makes no sense to me.
I know... And I tried this, just did not want to have to do this every time I put it in drive. Could not bring myself to justify it.
Like I said, first world problems.

bhurst10

Reaction score
One more thing I will say ECO mode light has to be turn on in your settings for your to even get the visual indicator of the of the ECO/MDS cycling on and off. It doesn't come from the factory with it already turn on in my settings at least mines didn't.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
Spo
One more thing I will say ECO mode light has to be turn on in your settings for your to even get the visual indicator of the of the ECO/MDS cycling on and off. It doesn't come from the factory with it already turn on in my settings at least mines didn't.
Spot on my friend...I had to turn mine on too!

Kenny4

Reaction score
Well, I'm back. Spent a bunch of time in the truck experimenting. The tow/haul mode when engaged while eco light is on, turns it off immediately. And no matter what speed or rpm level I chose the eco light would not come on while in t/h mode. T/H off and eco back on. So if what most have been saying, eco=mds, then mds in mine seems to not function in t/h mode. Also did the -8 in drive and it also wouldn't go into ego. With the -8 I like being able to view what gear it's in as it shifts. In the t/h mode I liked how the sound of the exhaust increased at lower shifting levels. In normal "D" you have to get on it to hear the pipes.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Well, I'm back. Spent a bunch of time in the truck experimenting. The tow/haul mode when engaged while eco light is on, turns it off immediately. And no matter what speed or rpm level I chose the eco light would not come on while in t/h mode. T/H off and eco back on. So if what most have been saying, eco=mds, then mds in mine seems to not function in t/h mode. Also did the -8 in drive and it also wouldn't go into ego. With the -8 I like being able to view what gear it's in as it shifts. In the t/h mode I liked how the sound of the exhaust increased at lower shifting levels. In normal "D" you have to get on it to hear the pipes.
Right. T/H mode always disables MDS. Same as gear limiter.
It’s a stop-gap until someone figures out how to disable this permanently.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

Note - You can also view what gear you're in without using the gear limiter function. There is an option called current gear, that allows you to always see what gear you are in. Go into your setup menu on your dash, scroll until you find "Current Gear". Activate it, and it will put your current gear indicator to the right of the PRND indicator on your gauge cluster. Also, when you use your gear limiter, that indicator will appear just to the right of the current gear indicator.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
Note - You can also view what gear you're in without using the gear limiter function. There is an option called current gear, that allows you to always see what gear you are in. Go into your setup menu on your dash, scroll until you find "Current Gear". Activate it, and it will put your current gear indicator to the right of the PRND indicator on your gauge cluster. Also, when you use your gear limiter, that indicator will appear just to the right of the current gear indicator.
I did this in my 2019 and in my 2021 it also shows up in the HUD!

Kenny4

Reaction score
This guy has taken a keen interest in the 5.7 lifter problems and the MDS. I'm not sure if I'm hearing him clearly, but sounds as if he advises using the mds for oil circulation.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
This guy has taken a keen interest in the 5.7 lifter problems and the MDS. I'm not sure if I'm hearing him clearly, but sounds as if he advises using the mds for oil circulation.

That's very interesting! What he says makes sense, assuming that the oil actually goes where he thinks it goes during MDS activation. He doesn't actually know for sure, but using educated guesses based on what he knows of the engine operation.

Very interesting indeed, thanks for posting.

Users who are viewing this thread