5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

5th Gen MDS Disable

Kenny4

Reaction score
I never dreamed it would be so annoying, ( especially with after market muffler ), to have the MDS kicking on and off. I've watched as many vids on YT as I could find for eliminating/disabling the MDS. It seems there is no other way than to have to keep putting Drive up to the 8th gear over and over. Any new input on this. Thanks

jdefoe0424

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I thought I had seen a post where someone finally released a obd connector that would do that
The other option is taser or tune, neither of which are that cheap

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Kenny4

Reaction score
Tow/haul mode disables MDS also
From all the info I've looked at, it seems that the Tow/haul mode works effectively for the 6 speed trans. But not on the 5th Gen 8 speed. Maybe others can chime in on that.

MannymanX

5thGenRams Supporter
Reaction score
Pulsar Tuner has a Non-MDS feature.
But the tuner is around $600.....

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
From all the info I've looked at, it seems that the Tow/haul mode works effectively for the 6 speed trans. But not on the 5th Gen 8 speed. Maybe others can chime in on that.

I can tell you for a fact it works perfectly in preventing MDS operation with Tow/Haul mode activated. Plus it's not a very aggressive mode, unlike sport modes on other trucks that not only effect transmission shifts, but also throttle response like a pedal commander.

The T/H mode simply holds the gear just a little longer while upshifting and downshifts a little more aggressive under braking. In fact, it will not shift up after braking, even with your foot off the brakes until you touch the throttle again, works great on a canyon road or down a steep hill.

Goatmann

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Many others have”chimed in”, search for yourself.

Kenny4

Reaction score
What's your take on this guys experience. Apparently his is 8 speed trans. In the comments the argument goes on about 6 speed vs 8 speed.

bhurst10

Reaction score
I know from personal experience tow haul doesn't turn MDS off. At least in my 19 5.7 Non Etorque 392 gears I have been towing about 7k and was surprised to see my MDS cycle on and off.

I will give a plug for the PULSAR it has MDS OFF available for all its MODES (STOCK MDS/ ECO MDS OFF/ TOW MDS OFF/ PERFORMANCE MDS OFF) I know there is alot of people on here that do not like the PULSAR. I have had mines for about 6 months now and I haven't had one issues with and I cycle between the modes regularly.

To buy one new is about $400 I bought mines off here on the for sale forum from some one that was getting rid of their 5th Gen paid half the price I would have paid for a new one and it works and does everything as described.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
You have very few options...my go-to is just to put my truck into -8 on the gear limiter...been doing it for two years and comes naturally now every time I get into my truck. No big deal. There are NO OBD dongles that will prevent it on the market yet.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
What's your take on this guys experience. Apparently his is 8 speed trans. In the comments the argument goes on about 6 speed vs 8 speed.

His truck isn't a DT, his 8-speed is a different type of ZF and probably so is his programming. Also, that gen of Eco light didn't always correspond to MDS operation, whereas in 2019 or newer Eco = MDS.

That being said, bhurst10 stated he has seen his MDS turn on while in T/H mode. I have driven probably 1000 miles in T/H mode, never once seen my MDS turn on, but it will turn on the moment I take it off the mode. Mine is also a 2019, non-ET with 3.92 axle.

I say drive in T/H mode for a bit and see how your truck reacts. If it works, then you can just leave it there, it doesn't default back to normal like the -+ buttons.

Goatmann

Ram Guru
Reaction score
the truck in the video is a 2016 4th gen truck, not a 2019 5th gen.

watch this:

Kenny4

Reaction score
His truck isn't a DT, his 8-speed is a different type of ZF and probably so is his programming. Also, that gen of Eco light didn't always correspond to MDS operation, whereas in 2019 or newer Eco = MDS.

That being said, bhurst10 stated he has seen his MDS turn on while in T/H mode. I have driven probably 1000 miles in T/H mode, never once seen my MDS turn on, but it will turn on the moment I take it off the mode. Mine is also a 2019, non-ET with 3.92 axle.

I say drive in T/H mode for a bit and see how your truck reacts. If it works, then you can just leave it there, it doesn't default back to normal like the -+ buttons.
I've noticed in my 2021 multiple times that the eco light comes on both with the mds kicking in and separately by itself. With the after market exhaust you can tell immediately when it goes into mds., ( on 4 cylinders the sound is obnoxious ). You and the guy in the vid above both say eco=mds, but just doesn't seem the case in mine. I agree it only makes good sense that while towing you wouldn't want your Ram to drop down to 4 cylinders and then just lug momentarily.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
I've noticed in my 2021 multiple times that the eco light comes on both with the mds kicking in and separately by itself. With the after market exhaust you can tell immediately when it goes into mds., ( on 4 cylinders the sound is obnoxious ). You and the guy in the vid above both say eco=mds, but just doesn't seem the case in mine. I agree it only makes good sense that while towing you wouldn't want your Ram to drop down to 4 cylinders and then just lug momentarily.

I have about 7,000 miles on my truck, not once has the Eco light turned on without MDS operation, quite a few members here have confirmed that as well.

However, mine is a 2019, your truck is 2 model years newer, it could be very possible that RAM changed how it operates for your 2021 model year.

Fatherof3

Reaction score
Keep in mind that you don’t always hear MDS when it kicks in , it all depends on what rpms you’re doing when it kicks in . The higher the rpms the more you hear it .

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Never had the ECO (MDS) turn on in T/H. If I am cruising down the road with the MDS on (ECO light) it turns off if I turn on T/H mode.

UnloosedChewtoy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
As others said... for the 4th gen Rams (2009-2018), and the Ram Classics (2019+), the ECO light coming on does not equal MDS operation. ECO light needs to come on for MDS to operate, but ECO simply meant you're driving economically.

For the new body style (non-Classic) Ram, 2019+, also known as the DT Rams, ECO and MDS appear to be the same. This is confirmed for 2019-2020. I doubt Stellantis (new name for FCA + PSA) would bother to change the programming for 2021, but weirder things have happened I suppose.

Test it out yourself, see if Tow/Haul stops it from working. If you find it annoying, then you can tell when the truck goes into MDS and when its not.
If it does not, your only recourse is to limit the gear range.

Users who are viewing this thread