5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hmebuildr

Reaction score
Installed the Winch mount kit and a 12K Smitty over the weekend did it all solo couple of things I found.

1st taking the bumper off is easy putting it back on by yourself is not so easy the one hitch in putting it back on is the new bolt no matter how tight you get the clip to hold it in place it will move once I figured that out it went together with no problem. I didnt remove the panels under the lights that might have helped but taking them off I did not find was not necessary.
2nd putting it all together before install was easy just remember to wire the winch to the relocation wires or you will need to drop the winch again to do so dumb move on my part.
3rd the bracket for the relocation kit had to be bent some in order to fit not a big deal just be aware.

I cut my existing grill panel I like that look better then the flat metal one Vice supplies The downside to the flat panel Vice supplies is that the one I got was damaged in transit someone decided that the box could be folded for me not a big deal as I didnt plan on using it anyways.

I have a couple of people with Rams that now want this same set up after seeing it today at work.

Last edited:

ZombieSlayer

Reaction score
Want to post some photos? I'm curious to see what your setup looks like since you cut your grill vs using the supplied one.

kliffy77

Reaction score
Sometime ago i installed the Vice Design Winch mount i did cut the factory grill and the workshop fabricated a small metal sheet then powder coated it to hide the welding marks on both sides, I used the Warn Zeon 12s Platinum 6D4B3455-BC33-479B-A34E-534A4A9FCFC8.jpeg a Power Wagon fairlead plus a warn 9290 hook.

Kienvu14

Reaction score
Sometime ago i installed the Vice Design Winch mount i did cut the factory grill and the workshop fabricated a small metal sheet then powder coated it to hide the welding marks on both sides, I used the Warn Zeon 12s Platinum View attachment 70317 a Power Wagon fairlead plus a warn 9290 hook.

Vice winch should be shipped this week and this install is so clean!!!! Thanks for posting, will copy with the stock mesh!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ram Ranch

Reaction score
Curious, has anyone tried a harbor freight badland winch with this kit? bolt pattern looks to be the same, just wouldn't be able to use the clutch relocation as far as I can tell.

Hmebuildr

Reaction score
Curious, has anyone tried a harbor freight badland winch with this kit? bolt pattern looks to be the same, just wouldn't be able to use the clutch relocation as far as I can tell.
When it comes to winches you get what you pay for I got a Smittybilt X20 12K Comp for less then they want for the Badland Apex 12K but you have to shop around. Amazon has the Smitty for $510
The Badland has a 90 day Warranty the Smitty limited lifetime and mechanical parts 5 years on electrical parts.

Nukegm426

Reaction score
You absolutely get what you pay for... I worked at 4wp at one point in life and we had a huge pile of warranty smittybilt winches. We almost never had anyone bring in a warn for repair.

When it comes to winches you get what you pay for I got a Smittybilt X20 12K Comp for less then they want for the Badland Apex 12K but you have to shop around. Amazon has the Smitty for $510
The Badland has a 90 day Warranty the Smitty limited lifetime and mechanical parts 5 years on electrical parts.

Kienvu14

Reaction score
That definitely took longer than I expected. The Vice tutorial video is super deceiving haha. After a day and half, I finally got it! Now time to “stretch” the rope to ensure I get it winched on correctly. Looks like I need to move to a larger garage 01302A8D-5B19-48CF-B8EC-44869201D6CE.jpg

I forgot to install the rope abrasion sleeve and do not want to take that thing back out to slide it on. Anyone run without it? Is it crucial?

IMG_3308.jpg
2DD079DB-C91E-436A-8750-0D691E57B35D.jpg
47E4D2B2-1B7F-4C21-90A1-C7E994D2C4C0.jpg

Chippy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The sleeve is there for you to use if you are possibly gonna Chaf the rope on something like a rock. You never actually want to have to use it but in a bad pull you might have to. It’s actually a pia to feed into the fairleads. Give it a bit, think on it, I took the factory Smitty hook off to put on a closed shackle and I can slip the sleeve on and off easily by undoing the shackle.

Hmebuildr

Reaction score
My sleeve is in the bag with all my other winch gear only goes on the rope when needed

Kienvu14

Reaction score
Thanks for the help guys. The warn one they include is a one piece which you had to thread on the rope prior to attaching to the drum. Didn’t realize this before hand, looks like I’ll be buying the Warn Velcro or similar online. Thanks!

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The badlands and apex 12k's are pretty decent but have a poor duty cycle, as will any planetary winch. You can rewind them with a composite cable too. The clutch is a PITA, but you can rotate it. Since you'll probably have to pop it open to lube properly and also to lube the rollers it's not a big deal.

Now getting it to work with this kit is much tougher. Most winches are the same bolt pattern and so are the fairings and sizes. The clutch will be your enemy and you'd have to custom fab up something or cut for easy access. I'd also suggest doing a very thorough waterproofing on any winch and testing it before you bolt it all up. You do not want to be pulling stuff off and repeating to get it working.

Kienvu14

Reaction score
Anyone with a rebel here change any of their front suspension after this install? The weight was enough to make the front sag and it’s bothering me so much.

kliffy77

Reaction score
Anyone with a rebel here change any of their front suspension after this install? The weight was enough to make the front sag and it’s bothering me so much.

Yes i have Falocn shocks and had the front coil settings changed to heavy to compensate the front squat due to weight of the mount & winch.

Hmebuildr

Reaction score
With the V6 the winch package added about 150 pounds to the front I did not see that much settling so until I get the new Bilstein shocks I am not going ot worry about it

Kienvu14

Reaction score
With the V6 the winch package added about 150 pounds to the front I did not see that much settling so until I get the new Bilstein shocks I am not going ot worry about it

5.7 etorque and it’s added enough that it is bother some for me. More money.....lol Bilstein 5100’s on level 4 for me i guess IMG_3379.jpg

VICE design

Trusted RAM Truck Adventure Gear
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
5th Gen Winch Mounts in stock but I know that wont last so I'm always building more!
Warn VR EVO 10-s and 12-s winches are also back in stock!

Its been about a year since I released this product and I want to thank each and every one of you for supporting our small shop, your feedback, helping eachother with the installations, and for coming up with unique ways to finish off each installation. I hope these have come in handy or gotten you out of a jam. They look badass on your trucks.

We have a new website so go poke around a bit. I also fixed some broken links on the original post.
www.vicedesign.ca

I have a customer with a 2020 Rebel with our hidden winch kit, coming in a few weeks for a full replacement winch bumper so Ill post up when Im happy with a design.

Appreciate you guys eh!

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/