5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

5.7L Engine Sputtering and Rough Idle on Cold Start Up

mechanicjohn

Reaction score
I have the 19' Ram 1500 quad cab 5.7L with 3.21 gears. 7,500 miles. No admins or aftermarket parts. Had first oil change at 5200 miles. This morning I went out to move the truck and it came on but immediately started sputtering and idling terribly. The rpm would go up to a normal startup rpm and then go way down to almost dying, then fluctuated greatly up and down for about 10 seconds. It finally leveled out. I turned the truck off and then turned it back on and it was fine. Never had this happen before. no check engine lights are on or came on. I am not sure if I can take it in and have it looked at without a check engine light. This day in age, dealers and mechanics generally can't find jack without a check engine code telling them where to look. what do y'all think ?
I have the same issue my dealer says they can not do anything with out a cel I am a master certified mechanic i told them if they haven't got a tech that can diagnose with out a cel they need me ....... this is crazy this is my 5th 5.7 never had this I'm about to call customer care this isn't right mine at 30* will start and stall immediately at 40 it will stay running 50 is bad 60 to 65 is the worse 35-40 seconds to level off

silver64

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have the same issue my dealer says they can not do anything with out a cel I am a master certified mechanic i told them if they haven't got a tech that can diagnose with out a cel they need me ....... this is crazy this is my 5th 5.7 never had this I'm about to call customer care this isn't right mine at 30* will start and stall immediately at 40 it will stay running 50 is bad 60 to 65 is the worse 35-40 seconds to level off
Get the number of the local manufacturers rep from your dealer and call him directly. You are right this is ********!

Caballonegro

Reaction score
I think there another thread on this, I actually like it, well with the straight pipe, it’s pretty dramatic.
if you don’t want dramatic, I can see where you would hate it or it feels like something is wrong. At times I feel like, it’s going to shut off after that tiny pause but it just sputters back.

Jp1017

Reaction score
I have the 19' Ram 1500 quad cab 5.7L with 3.21 gears. 7,500 miles. No admins or aftermarket parts. Had first oil change at 5200 miles. This morning I went out to move the truck and it came on but immediately started sputtering and idling terribly. The rpm would go up to a normal startup rpm and then go way down to almost dying, then fluctuated greatly up and down for about 10 seconds. It finally leveled out. I turned the truck off and then turned it back on and it was fine. Never had this happen before. no check engine lights are on or came on. I am not sure if I can take it in and have it looked at without a check engine light. This day and age, dealers and mechanics generally can't find jack without a check engine code telling them where to look. what do y'all think ?
I know this is an older post. Just wondering if you ever found out what it was? I have a 22 ram 1500 hemi and it does this every time it sits over night. You’ll start it up it sputters and sounds like it’s going to stall. Has about 8700 miles on it.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I know this is an older post. Just wondering if you ever found out what it was? I have a 22 ram 1500 hemi and it does this every time it sits over night. You’ll start it up it sputters and sounds like it’s going to stall. Has about 8700 miles on it.
Mine did that for about a months then cleared up and didn't do it again for just over a year. Then was doing it again for a couple weeks. Cleared up again. And has only done it a couple times since.

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Hi jp1017,

We're sorry to hear about this. Have you reached out to a dealer at all regarding this? If not, we do recommend getting an appointment in place. If you choose to go that route, feel free to send us a private message with your appointment details and last 8 of your VIN, so we can further support you.

Lex
Ram Cares

jw2023

Reaction score
Had the same problem this morning. I have a 2023 1500 Laramie hemi etorque 5.7, only 900 miles on it so far.

thebearded1

Reaction score
I'm having the same issue where it stumbled out cuts out on a cold start. By cold start I mean sitting overnight not during cold temps. It's been at the dealer since Aug 2 and they have made no progress. Very frustrating!!! It started doing this around 3000 miles and has not gone away. I just bought this truck in Jan 2023. I bought my first Ram in Sept 2022 and had this same issue start at just 200 total miles on the truck. The dealer couldn't figure it out and I ended up selling the truck back to RAM through the Maryland Lemon Law process which was a nightmare. Very frustrated the dealer won't try replacing parts. They are just waiting to see what FCA says!!!

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I'm having the same issue where it stumbled out cuts out on a cold start. By cold start I mean sitting overnight not during cold temps. It's been at the dealer since Aug 2 and they have made no progress. Very frustrating!!! It started doing this around 3000 miles and has not gone away. I just bought this truck in Jan 2023. I bought my first Ram in Sept 2022 and had this same issue start at just 200 total miles on the truck. The dealer couldn't figure it out and I ended up selling the truck back to RAM through the Maryland Lemon Law process which was a nightmare. Very frustrated the dealer won't try replacing parts. They are just waiting to see what FCA says!!!
Just keep driving it. Mine did same thing for a couple months, after a few thousand miles after I bought it. Then stopped for almost a year. Did it again for about a week and has only done it a few random times since then. It actually did die on me one time and required restarting. No reason to lemon law it.

thebearded1

Reaction score
Just keep driving it. Mine did same thing for a couple months, after a few thousand miles after I bought it. Then stopped for almost a year. Did it again for about a week and has only done it a few random times since then. It actually did die on me one time and required restarting. No reason to lemon lt
Gotya how many miles do you have on the truck now? I was always worried it was just going to get worse or start messing something else up

Users who are viewing this thread