5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

5.7 e-torque or regular hemi?

doctorxring

Reaction score
Anyone else notice that when using the "Build" app on the Ram website that for 2020 the Hemi E-torque option has gone down to $200 over the standard Hemi as compared to the 2019 build price ? Which was like $1500 more over a standard Hemi.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Anyone else notice that when using the "Build" app on the Ram website that for 2020 the Hemi E-torque option has gone down to $200 over the standard Hemi as compared to the 2019 build price ? Which was like $1500 more over a standard Hemi.
eTorque started out as an $800 upcharge last year, jumped way up (as you point out) when demand was high and supplies low, and is now apparently a very inexpensive option. I’m surprised it’s jumped around so much.

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Wonder what the chances are of RAM simply deleting the non etorque option as they did with the 6 cyl. Not that the 5th gen Pentstar could come without it but as supply catches up, will they force the hemi to all etorque?

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Wonder what the chances are of RAM simply deleting the non etorque option as they did with the 6 cyl. Not that the 5th gen Pentstar could come without it but as supply catches up, will they force the hemi to all etorque?
There’ve been rumors of that since the beginnings of this forum. I don’t know whether any of it has been substantiated. I wonder if @Jared B , @edrclark , or @devildodge have heard anything.

Ellisstrong

Reaction score
There’ve been rumors of that since the beginnings of this forum. I don’t know whether any of it has been substantiated. I wonder if @Jared B , @edrclark , or @devildodge have heard anything.
Mine was $650 more than the regular hemi on my October 18 limited build based off of my window sticker and I have also heard that the etorque was going to be standard on the hemi as well. Definitely heard that the longhorn and limited wouldn’t be able to be ordered without but that may have just been a rumor as well.

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
I could see that happening for 2 reasons at least:
1 - if you "force" adoption of the tech then that pushes everyone along down that path and (2) it also may slightly benefit future CAFE standards.
If I were FIAT/RAM I'd be thinking that eventually they are going to be ratcheting CAFE up again. Not that ET gives you that much of a fleet average increase but it could be the prototype for a more aggressive system.
Remember that the strong rumor is F150's in 2021 will have an electric option so you know that things are/may be headed that way.

doctorxring

Reaction score
I could see that happening for 2 reasons at least:
1 - if you "force" adoption of the tech then that pushes everyone along down that path and (2) it also may slightly benefit future CAFE standards.
If I were FIAT/RAM I'd be thinking that eventually they are going to be ratcheting CAFE up again. Not that ET gives you that much of a fleet average increase but it could be the prototype for a more aggressive system.
Remember that the strong rumor is F150's in 2021 will have an electric option so you know that things are/may be headed that way.

I think CAFE is the right context for this development. I agree with what you are saying here. There was not enough benefit in most buyers minds to justify spending over $1K for ETorque. An average mileage driver would have to rack up 7 years of driving to BREAK EVEN on it. So they lower the price for ETorque to stimulate adoption.

JohnnyGC

Reaction score
I currently have a 2016 Grand Cherokee Overland 3.6... however I’m debating heavily on getting a loaded Laramie with etorque, 3.92 and anti slip. I know this truck has been out over a year now and most of the kinks have been fixed... my bro has a 2017 with same options just non etorque hemi obviously and I love how smooth it is. Any other issues with the etorque lately? Got a pretty good deal pending. I am not ready to pull trigger yet since the Ram doesn’t have the panoramic moonroof

Raylan GIvens

Reaction score
I currently have a 2016 Grand Cherokee Overland 3.6... however I’m debating heavily on getting a loaded Laramie with etorque, 3.92 and anti slip. I know this truck has been out over a year now and most of the kinks have been fixed... my bro has a 2017 with same options just non etorque hemi obviously and I love how smooth it is. Any other issues with the etorque lately? Got a pretty good deal pending. I am not ready to pull trigger yet since the Ram doesn’t have the panoramic moonroof

I am not aware of any widespread issues with eTorque. My biggest complaints are not with the drive traint. The AC, windshield washer spray nozzle, and UConnect all are under preforming in my opinion and were much better on my previous two vehicles (GMC and Ford trucks). I ended up without the sunroof on my truck and really haven't missed it, although I did request it when I ordered this truck

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Aside from a couple of isolated cases, eTorque has been faultless. I wouldn’t base your decision on it (unless you REALLY want or don’t want it).

airgas1998

Reaction score
they did on the limited trim models now only with e -torque...

JohnnyGC

Reaction score
I am not aware of any widespread issues with eTorque. My biggest complaints are not with the drive traint. The AC, windshield washer spray nozzle, and UConnect all are under preforming in my opinion and were much better on my previous two vehicles (GMC and Ford trucks). I ended up without the sunroof on my truck and really haven't missed it, although I did request it when I ordered this truck

Thank you for your response... the AC in my Grand Cherokee sucks too so that’s nothing new, and same for the spray nozzle. Uconnect I guess I’ll have to play around with the one at dealer for now, haven’t seen the 12” in action yet. Now I’m more interested in a Rebel with everything except etorque. Has the roof and air suspension. Deciding what will have the best resale value at the end. The rebel seems like my bet.

Users who are viewing this thread