5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

4x4 2019 Ram 1500's without E-Locker or Anti Spin?

KLSU

Reaction score
I see plenty of these on lots in our area and my question is how important are these items for 4x4 trucks? I always thought a 4x4 without at least anti Spin are not much better than 4x2 with either one of those items.

79 300

Reaction score
The anti-spin really helps in any pickup truck driving in 2 wheel drive, especially in the rain. Try pulling out on a hill with an open rear and you will see what I am talking about. I never drove a truck with an E-locker so I can't comment on that.

AndreiV

Reaction score
I have 4x4 and dont have neither of the two. I am not an off road person and probably will never be. Primary bought 4x4 for mountain trips in the winter. Went twice to the mountains after the snow storm this season and was very happy with 4x4 and the fact I have it and did not feel that I was missing e-locker or anti-spin.

moosem

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have open diff 4x4 and survived a New England winter with it!! No issues at all.

Occasionally, when making a hard turn from a dead stop, there's a little wheel slippage, but not excessive and its easy to control (just don't punch it off the line when turning onto a street).

In snowstorms, I put it in 4HIGH, in potentially slippery conditions, or for driving on loose gravel, I use 4AUTO.

Works great.

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Traction control acts like anti-slip for those with open diffs. While it certainly has its limitations (like trying to power through mud, snow etc) it will usually help with low traction times. I looked for anti-spin “just cause” its for my wife and I wanted her to not have to determine what exactly to do, just use 4A and go easy.

Nwono

Reaction score
I goofed and got my truck last week and it has 3.92s and an open diff. I assumed the 3.92s made you get the e-locker but you select the e-locker you have to pick 3.92s, the north pkg or the offroad pkg on the build and price. I might add the mopar anti-spin diff down the line if the open diff is a problem in the winter.

93CBRA

Reaction score
The trucks with no anti-slip and E-lock are not bad at all. I don't have either and don't have traction problems at all. Even with traction control off if I nail it from a dead stop both tires will still spin, I didn't think that possible from an open diff but oh well, I'm happy. I had an older F150 with an open diff and I actually had to put it in 4wd when in a dangerous spot and had to dart across traffic, if I didn't one tire would just roast up. With my Ram its never an issue. if you throw TC into the mix its makes things even better. Also when taking turns under hard acceleration I still have no issues. In my F150 accelerating out into a turn was an absolute joke, truck went no where once the weight was lifted from the tire.

Billy James

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Anti-spin fan here; always have been. Traction Control isn't the same thing no matter how you look at it. I really don't want to debate it because it has already been beat up on a lot of threads. But since you asked: I never purchase a truck without 4x4 or anti-spin; otherwise I would just purchase a car.

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
My biggest issue with the choice of E Locker vs anti-spin was when I was wanting to order, you had to select the Off Road package to get the E Locker, and I didn't want all the extra costs. Then when I was looking at a forum sponsor's inventory (DC area), and I asked the salesman (over the phone) about if it had E Lock on it (cause the window sticker didn't list the OR group skidplates), he said that his dealership could get things that we publicans could not. Guess that makes some sense if it is (and was) a large volume dealer. So it goes to show that whats on dealer lots can be configured a bit strangely.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
My biggest issue with the choice of E Locker vs anti-spin was when I was wanting to order, you had to select the Off Road package to get the E Locker, and I didn't want all the extra costs. Then when I was looking at a forum sponsor's inventory (DC area), and I asked the salesman (over the phone) about if it had E Lock on it (cause the window sticker didn't list the OR group skidplates), he said that his dealership could get things that we publicans could not. Guess that makes some sense if it is (and was) a large volume dealer. So it goes to show that whats on dealer lots can be configured a bit strangely.
You should be able to order an eLocker without ORP. When you do you have to pick 3.92 though.

The ORP can get the eLocker with 3.21 or 3.92

20190426_214929.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread