5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

4WD Off Road

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The best way to see BLDS work is find a rocky eroded road.

Put truck in 4Lo. Select 1st gear. Let the truck idle up the hill.

This is where the new systems shine. When practicing leave no trace on public lands.

Wheel spin and throttle are very detrimental to the environment, and here in PA a big reason trails get Shut down.

Ramroo

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Well, I had a corvette years ago and the rear tires only lasted 5,000 miles and I had to change them. Ever since then no burnouts or donuts haha. If I had s field to do it it maybe. But my subdivision frowns upon that
Time to buy a farm. Past Time.
I remember when I bought my first farm when I as a lot younger and I was scraping, old tractor,
buying old implements and this old retired attorney I was buying a disk from said “Are’t you a little young to be doing this stuff” …. No.
Start small.

Ramroo

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The best way to see BLDS work is find a rocky eroded road.

Put truck in 4Lo. Select 1st gear. Let the truck idle up the hill.

This is where the new systems shine. When practicing leave no trace on public lands.

Wheel spin and throttle are very detrimental to the environment, and here in PA a big reason trails get Shut down.
Wheel spin is detrimental to my farm roads with rocks on it also. Over time the rocks get pushed down in the dirt. When my idiot brother drives up some of my long drives in his ford f150, when it is bone dry, I have to to continually tell him to put it in 4WD or lock the rear in 2WD or he spins 1 wheel ( and thinks it’s fun I guess ) and now the rocks in that rut are broke loose and wash off the road on the next rain. Rocks ain’t cheap, especially now.
Same happens with dry dirt as you were talking about.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
48-11 AWD t-case sucks for off road use in ANY range selection. That's something I learned 30 seconds after leaving a roadway for the first time. Never again will I buy a truck with AWD or "Auto".

In fact if I end up keeping this truck the t-case may get swapped out for a 48-12 at some point.
I haven't had a single issue with mine

Ramroo

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Well, I had a corvette years ago and the rear tires only lasted 5,000 miles and I had to change them. Ever since then no burnouts or donuts haha. If I had s field to do it it maybe. But my subdivision frowns upon that
I had a 1980 Vet when I was young. V8 with a whopping 200 hp. I didn’t need to worry about tires. I should have worried more about light poles however.

Ramroo

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That is my driveway 14-16 degrees of slope or 24-25% our vehicles see it every day;
studded snows and fingers crossed at times.
Here's a video from a few years ago going down ,
Love it.
Not so much the Red tractor though 😉

LouNY

Reaction score
Love it.
Not so much the Red tractor though 😉
I have always been a fan of red tractors, I grew up on IH red and Allis Chalmers orange, with a bit of Ford blue thrown in for measure.
There are a few green ones on the farm now but I still prefer red ones, I also have a blue New Holland I just picked up for another driveway tractor.

Ramroo

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have always been a fan of red tractors, I grew up on IH red and Allis Chalmers orange, with a bit of Ford blue thrown in for measure.
There are a few green ones on the farm now but I still prefer red ones, I also have a blue New Holland I just picked up for another driveway tractor.
I grew up with some Ford blue, some white and green. Used most brands including some heavy Equipment .

As I got a little older, and got a little more wisdom and knowledge with experience, talking and working with people that ran tractors and equipment, I love the orange Kubotas. They work, very reliable, Kubota makes everything on the tractors, FELs, including engines, and Kubota stands behind their tractors, but don’t break often…. Usually operator error.

I know people are brand loyal on tractors more than trucks ( especially those JD green ones ). They are everything opposite of Kubota (reliability, company support, etc). I know this might **** the people off that love the green paint, and their JD hat… oh well, been doing this a long time. They’re very large tractors, combines, etc. however are better and have been doing it a long time. Company support still sucks.

I haven’t had any experience with the red ones. Anyway, love the rural setting. 😍

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
We always had case, international, and case IH tractors when we farmed.

Ramroo

Ram Guru
Reaction score
We always had case, international, and case IH tractors when we farmed.
I have a good friend that is a large commercial farmer that likes the red tractors. Case variety.
I know that dealer location and support goes a long way in ag equiptment decisions.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
I have a good friend that is a large commercial farmer that likes the red tractors. Case variety.
I know that dealer location and support goes a long way in ag equiptment decisions.
Yea for sure. Some of our tractors were from the 70’s. Now the international harvester dealer we used has turned into a Kubota and bass boat shop. So not as much red tractors around now.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
My whole family uses red tractors. My dad has several antique Farmall and he has also lately been collecting older Cub Cadet garden tractors.

Users who are viewing this thread