5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

4H or 4AUTO for snow???

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
did a bit of an internet search and understand now. (clutch vs mechanical, etc.)
Do the newer rebels with 4A use the 48-11 clutch based system or are they putting in the 48-13 that comes in the TRX
They are not putting the one from the TRX.

That is full time 4wd and not available on anything else. It does not jave a 2wd availability.

The Rebel got the same 4 auto as the Bighorn Laramie and Limited.

I am glad they gave the people who wanted thr 4 auto the option... But if they use the truck alot off road...they will quickly find why the part time was standard and only one available at first.

Guess the Tradesman trim is the only one to keep the part time as standard. Lol

AmericanRebelution

Reaction score
What is the benefit of the transfer case without the 4A that the '19 and '20s came with? It seems like only downsides? There must be some kind of upside if the other 1500 lines were coming with 4A, but not the rebel.

I've always thought it was a bummer to not have 4A on my rebel in those 1 inch snow conditions where straight road has dry pavement, but then I slip around at intersections or turns. I'm always toggling between 2W and 4H...

did a bit of an internet search and understand now. (clutch vs mechanical, etc.)
Do the newer rebels with 4A use the 48-11 clutch based system or are they putting in the 48-13 that comes in the TRX

The advantage to the mechanical system is that it is much less prone to over heating and wear during heavy offroad use than the clutch system. This transfer case is one of the reasons I bought a Rebel. Also, I prefer to remain in either 2wd or 4wd, not auto. But there are lots of drivers who would much prefer a "set it and forget it" setting.I like to have a little better feel to get a sense of the actual conditions instead of having the truck constantly compensate. The traction control system paired with either 2wd or 4wd depending on severity of conditions seems to work quite well for my needs.

Buz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I was taught to go as far as you can in 2WD, THEN switch to 4WD. That way you always have more to give to get home....
Yep. And similar logic in boating is to only explore unknown areas on a rising tide. Never on a falling tide. But I digress.

Hydroblueguy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My 2019 Ram Rebel does not have 4auto.
I thought this was omitted on all Rebels. Did they bring it back for 2020 +?
I see some of the 21’s have it for sure👍🏻

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online