5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

35x12.50R20 Ridge Grapplers. Why buying F rated 12ply?

sharkbit

Reaction score
35x12.50R20LT F 125Q Question is why is everyone buying ridge grapplers F rated tires that are 12 ply? Don't these run much much stiffer than load E 10 plys? Just curious cause lots of folks running these. I do not see any 35/12.5/20 ridge grapplers that are E 10ply listed. Why not buy another tire brand or size that is E rated?

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Not sure. people run higher load range for towing or off roading. I’ll be going with a load range std ply rating to save weight and take less of a hit to mpg

mtnrider

Reaction score
These load ratings are getting so convoluted these days because they use both the old "rating" (letter) and the newer "index" (number) on the same tire.

That load "rated" F tire only has a load "index" of 125. There are "E" tires that can carry more weight then that. The F would be a tougher tire and hold more psi though. My guess is they went with a F to take a little more abuse offroad? A ridge grappler isn't exactly a dedicated towing tire (at least not the best choice for that application).

sharkbit

Reaction score
These load ratings are getting so convoluted these days because they use both the old "rating" (letter) and the newer "index" (number) on the same tire.

That load "rated" F tire only has a load "index" of 125. There are "E" tires that can carry more weight then that. The F would be a tougher tire and hold more psi though. My guess is they went with a F to take a little more abuse offroad? A ridge grappler isn't exactly a dedicated towing tire (at least not the best choice for that application).

I wondered if it was more about rating semantics or something and not the true story. Like to know what F rated tire folks think about ride quality, especially on the ridge grappler 35/12.5

ayoslickxd

Ram Guru
Reaction score
i have baja boss rated E 10 ply. and when i was looking at the ridge didnt see much reason geting the ridge haha even with towing i feel the ridge would be over kill 😂

Last edited:

ayoslickxd

Ram Guru
Reaction score

but wouldnt you lower the psi on the tires anyway offroading ? and yea i was confused looking for tires … some a/t tires would say. they not for snow. and some would

mtnrider

Reaction score
but wouldnt you lower the psi on the tires anyway offroading ? and yea i was confused looking for tires … some a/t tires would say. they not for snow. and some would

Yes you would lower the pressure for off road, just saying the F rating is capable of higher pressures (usually). It truly is convoluted and confusing. Because the F technically has more plys it may take a little more off road abuse?

The snow rating, which is M+S or now a snowflake is a completely different rating and has more to do with the tread pattern and compound.

Rsone 11

Reaction score
I have 35x12.50r18 Nitto ridge grapplers on a 2022 rebel and the ride is crazy stiff I put the psi on anything higher then 48… I currently have it set 40 both and rear and I’m going to dona chalk test to see if I can lower the psi even more. My only fear is that it will be too low and not safe to drive around with it that low. Anyone have these on a rebel and could suggest the best psi for a decent ride.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
Ridge grappler is the best looking tire I think that’s the reason people get them
I 100% agree. However, I passed on them because they are HORRIBLE on wet roads I don't off road much anyway. Having good wet traction on city roads and highways was FAR more important to me than looks. Safety should always be your #1 priority and not how good something looks on a truck. Just my 2 cents.

@JC

Reaction score
I 100% agree. However, I passed on them because they are HORRIBLE on wet roads I don't off road much anyway. Having good wet traction on city roads and highways was FAR more important to me than looks. Safety should always be your #1 priority and not how good something looks on a truck. Just my 2 cents.
Have you ever had RGs on your truck because that's definitely not the case. I had them on my PowerWagon for around 25k miles and a couple of SD winters before trading it in and they performed excellently on snow, ice or rain. They're also a lot quieter than some other popular AT/MT tires and track straight without wandering.

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Have you ever had RGs on your truck because that's definitely not the case. I had them on my PowerWagon for around 25k miles and a couple of SD winters before trading it in and they performed excellently on snow, ice or rain. They're also a lot quieter than some other popular AT/MT tires and track straight without wandering.
I've had the same experience with Ridge Grapplers.

Reactions: @JC

Jake103

Reaction score
The ridge grapplers I thought were fine on wet pavement, fresh snow, dry pavement. What I have noticed though is they suck In packed snow, and mud or any condition possibly slick. Otherwise they are not bad. They look cool but there are better tires out there.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
I read a ton of reviews when researching the tires and most all folks said they handled poorly in heavy rain (like we get here in FL) and that you need to be prepared for fishtailing too. I also called Nitto and spoke to their tech support. I was told something very similar. As long as you are happy, that's all that matters. I will not risk my safety, or that of my family, with an AT tire that is designed for more off then on road driving and definitely not designed for areas with extreme rain.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
The ridge grapplers I thought were fine on wet pavement, fresh snow, dry pavement. What I have noticed though is they suck In packed snow, and mud or any condition possibly slick. Otherwise they are not bad. They look cool but there are better tires out there.
I agree that there are far better options out there.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Yea, they are mostly for looks.

Otisporkchop

Reaction score
I have 20k on my RG’s for me they ride great handle good on wet roads in Fl and have worn evenly. I run 35 psi and rotate every 5k.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
But you've never run a set so you don't have any actual 1st hand experience so you really can't say that with any authority, gotcha.
I have read enough to know they are not for me. If I had spent $1400 - $1800 on a set for my truck and fishtailed just once, I would have been pissed as you can't take them back. 1st hand experience? No. Enough review to make me rethink my decision...Yes!

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I have read enough to know they are not for me. If I had spent $1400 - $1800 on a set for my truck and fishtailed just once, I would have been pissed as you can't take them back. 1st hand experience? No. Enough review to make me rethink my decision...Yes!

Discount Tire will take them back. I've never fishtailed once on a wet road in many years of RG ownership.

I bought a set of Michelin LTX tires based on stellar reviews. Worst tire I've ever owned. You can't always trust reviews.

Users who are viewing this thread