5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

35x12.50R20 Ridge Grapplers. Why buying F rated 12ply?

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
Discount Tire will take them back. I've never fishtailed once on a wet road in many years of RG ownership.

I bought a set of Michelin LTX tires based on stellar reviews. Worst tire I've ever owned. You can't always trust reviews.
Interesting in that my Michelin Defender LTX M/S are awesome. I decided to go for safety over looks. The Michelin's are a top rated tire with excellent reviews from several different sources. It's interesting that you stated they were the worst tire you've ever owned. Several members have these and LOVE them. Buy and drive what you like...other peoples opinions really don't matter in the end since you're the one paying for them.

@JC

Reaction score
You're definitely not cross shopping Nitto Ridge Grapplers if you ended up with Michelin Defender LTX, completely different tire design/purpose. Competitors for the RGs are the Toyo Open Country AT3, BFG KO2, Falken Wildpeak AT3, etc. and are all off-road tires that handle well on road. The Defenders are "AT" style road tires similar to the Dueller or Firestone Transforce. I'm not sure why you're even commenting on the RGs since you don't want that style tire.

Last edited:

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
You're definitely not cross shopping Nitto Ridge Grapplers if you ended up with Michelin Defender LTX, completely different tire design/purpose. I'm not sure why you're even commenting on the RGs.
Because I can…am I not allowed to voice my opinion and share my thoughts as you have???

@JC

Reaction score
Because I can…am I not allowed to voice my opinion and share my thoughts as you have???
If you're going to post an opinion you should probably have some experience with the thing you're commenting on. But feel free to keep commenting as the more you say, the more obvious it is that you don't know what you're talking about.

Rsone 11

Reaction score
I have 20k on my RG’s for me they ride great handle good on wet roads in Fl and have worn evenly. I run 35 psi and rotate every 5k.
I have 20k on my RG’s for me they ride great handle good on wet roads in Fl and have worn evenly. I run 35 psi and rotate every 5k.
Do you know what load your tires are ? 10 ply or 12 ply and also I’m wondering if I can run the same psi and you on my rebel?

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
If you're going to post an opinion you should probably have some experience with the thing you're commenting on. But feel free to keep commenting as the more you say, the more obvious it is that you don't know what you're talking about.
Oh...so sorry. Didn't know that you were an expert and also not open to others input. With a whopping 8 messages, you may want too be a bit more tolerant of others opinions. My "experience" comes in a different format that you clearly don't like or agree with. As I stated, I read more reviews than you can imagine (going back 2+ years now) and spoke to Nitto themselves. There have also been other forum members that have complained about to poor wet road traction. I am not simply stating an opinion, but information that has been presented that, unfortunately, contradicts your position but is relevant to the postings. Enjoy the forum and try not to be to much of an @$$ to other forum members whose posts you disagree with ;) I didn't have to buy a YUGO to know it was a POS!

Last edited:

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Interesting in that my Michelin Defender LTX M/S are awesome. I decided to go for safety over looks. The Michelin's are a top rated tire with excellent reviews from several different sources. It's interesting that you stated they were the worst tire you've ever owned. Several members have these and LOVE them. Buy and drive what you like...other peoples opinions really don't matter in the end since you're the one paying for them.

They were absolutely horrible on snow. They wandered all over the place on groved concrete. 75% of my drive to work is on groved concrete freeway. I thought the ride was pretty harsh too. I played around with tire pressure, but they didn't get noticably better with lower pressure.

They were quiet and they lasted a long time, but I wanted them to wear out faster so I could justify getting rid of them.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
They were absolutely horrible on snow. They wandered all over the place on groved concrete. 75% of my drive to work is on groved concrete freeway. I thought the ride was pretty harsh too. I played around with tire pressure, but they didn't get noticably better with lower pressure.

They were quiet and they lasted a long time, but I wanted them to wear out faster so I could justify getting rid of them.
I would never have purchased them if I lived in an area with snow (it was not designed for snow)...I am in FL so that was NEVER a concern. I drive on grooved concrete too (most all of my driving is highway) and I NEVER had a wandering issue, the truck stayed straight with zero noise, and the ride is super smooth. I kept them at around 36 psi. Maybe you had something else going on here as they were, when I bought mine, the #1 rated tire of its type by Discount Tire, TireRack and few other reviews I read. Just like with anything, you can get a bad tire, but your experience is far different then just about all other reviews I have read on this tire. If I was hell bent on a tire like the Nitto RG, I would buy the TOYO AT3.

Idahoktm

Reaction score
I would never have purchased them if I lived in an area with snow (it was not designed for snow)...I am in FL so that was NEVER a concern. I drive on grooved concrete too (most all of my driving is highway) and I NEVER had a wandering issue, the truck stayed straight with zero noise, and the ride is super smooth. I kept them at around 36 psi. Maybe you had something else going on here as they were, when I bought mine, the #1 rated tire of its type by Discount Tire, TireRack and few other reviews I read. Just like with anything, you can get a bad tire, but your experience is far different then just about all other reviews I have read on this tire. If I was hell bent on a tire like the Nitto RG, I would buy the TOYO AT3.

I bought them when I lived in Arizona and then moved back to Idaho. They say M/S on the side, so I assumed they would be okay on snow. There was nothing wrong with the tires. The ride was very quiet, I just didn't like them.

I had Toyo ATII's and it was a good tire, but the RG's are better. RG's are a HT tire, so it's not an apples to apples comparison.

It is funny that you've condemned RG's without even trying them. You have even gone as far as ranking them amongst similar tires that you also haven't tried.

Last edited:

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
I bought them when I lived in Arizona and then moved back to Idaho. They say M/S on the side, so I assumed they would be okay on snow. There was nothing wrong with the tires. The ride was very quiet, I just didn't like them.

I had Toyo ATII's and it was a good tire, but the RG's are better. RG's are a HT tire, so it's not an apples to apples comparison.

It is funny that you've condemned RG's without even trying them. You have even gone as far as ranking them amongst similar tires that you also haven't tried.
Never assume anything...look at the ratings and testing before purchasing. The TOYO AT2 and AT3 are totally different tires so you are not comparing apples to apples. The AT3 was a TOTAL redesign which has received several accolades. I am not condemning the RG's. As I stated, I am going by what I was told by credible sources and what I had read including forum members at the time that had them and complained about wet traction. I will kindly drop out of this conversation as some just don't want to hear any differing information other than what they want to believe. If you have had a positive experience, then God Bless and we can all move on from your attacks. As an engineer, in it's my DNA to research the hell out of everything I am looking to purchase before I drop my money on the table. My research told me to stay away. Again, I don't need first hand knowledge when way too many people told me to stay clear, including Nitto themselves, based on my geography and my typical traveled roads;) If I cannot at least share what I have learned/discovered from my tire search, then what's the purpose of the forum? Not all will agree or disagree...it is just my input based on what I shared above. If folks want to buy them, have them installed and try them out...then they can find a dealer that will let them do that and they can decide. For me, I decided to opt out of giving them a try which, may or may not, have proved that all I read and was told was incorrect. Enjoy your truck and your tires my friend. No sense continuing the back and forth as my point can't be any clearer at this point.

Idahoktm

Reaction score
Never assume anything...look at the ratings and testing before purchasing. The TOYO AT2 and AT3 are totally different tires so you are not comparing apples to apples. The AT3 was a TOTAL redesign which has received several accolades. I am not condemning the RG's. As I stated, I am going by what I was told by credible sources and what I had read including forum members at the time that had them and complained about wet traction. I will kindly drop out of this conversation as some just don't want to hear any differing information other than what they want to believe. If you have had a positive experience, then God Bless and we can all move on from your attacks. As an engineer, in it's my DNA to research the hell out of everything I am looking to purchase before I drop my money on the table. My research told me to stay away. Again, I don't need first hand knowledge when way too many people told me to stay clear, including Nitto themselves, based on my geography and my typical traveled roads;) If I cannot at least share what I have learned/discovered from my tire search, then what's the purpose of the forum? Not all will agree or disagree...it is just my input based on what I shared above. If folks want to buy them, have them installed and try them out...then they can find a dealer that will let them do that and they can decide. For me, I decided to opt out of giving them a try which, may or may not, have proved that all I read and was told was incorrect. Enjoy your truck and your tires my friend. No sense continuing the back and forth as my point can't be any clearer at this point.

It's hilarious that you look at my posts as an attack. Where did I attack you?

You posted this and a few people countered your post with real life experience:
I 100% agree. However, I passed on them because they are HORRIBLE on wet roads I don't off road much anyway. Having good wet traction on city roads and highways was FAR more important to me than looks. Safety should always be your #1 priority and not how good something looks on a truck. Just my 2 cents.
If you don't like the RG, that's fine. If you offer a firm opinion on a product without any real-world experience, don't get offended when someone challenges you. If the above quote of yours went unchallenged, it might be assumed that the RG's are HORRIBLE on wet roads.

I don't look at a back and forth as an argument...it's a conversation. Some of the conversation is useless, some of it is educational, and a lot of it is pure entertainment, but if we don't have a conversation, what is the point of a forum?

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
It's hilarious that you look at my posts as an attack. Where did I attack you?

You posted this and a few people countered your post with real life experience:

If you don't like the RG, that's fine. If you offer a firm opinion on a product without any real-world experience, don't get offended when someone challenges you. If the above quote of yours went unchallenged, it might be assumed that the RG's are HORRIBLE on wet roads.

I don't look at a back and forth as an argument...it's a conversation. Some of the conversation is useless, some of it is educational, and a lot of it is pure entertainment, but if we don't have a conversation, what is the point of a forum?
Enjoy your truck!

Rsone 11

Reaction score
Is anyone on here running 35x12.50r18 nitto ridge grapplers if so what’s the psi looking like on a rebel

Users who are viewing this thread