5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

33 gallon tank on a 2019 question

ExcursionDiesel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
On 4th gen Rams the Low Fuel message was designed to trigger when the computer sensed there was around 50 miles left to empty. Industry practice is to not allow a vehicle to run out of fuel and leave someone stranded despite the operator intentionally or unintentionally trying to go beyond the low fuel warning message.

On my 2014 with the 32 gallon tank, I never put more than 29 or so gallons in it, and that was a time I drove well beyond the warning message. (I also had a five gallon can of gas in the bed for insurance!) I just looked at my fuel log and the most I've put in the 33 gallon tank on the '19 was 28 gallons, so far. Even so, the computer was telling me I had over 700 miles on the next tank.

It may be possible that you don't actually have a 33 gallon tank (unlikely if it's on the Morony), or the system thinks it has a 26 gallon tank. Either way I'd have the dealer check it out.

Best regards,
Dusty

2019 Ram 1500 Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Now at: 004904 miles.
Same here. My max fill was around 28.5 gallons. This was with the fuel gauge bottomed out and the low fuel icon on. It kinda sucks not being able to reliably use at least 31 out of 33 gallons. Thats 50 miles of range "lost"....sort of.

ChadT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I took a long road trip, stayed in town, and then a road trip back. I got 525 miles on that tank of gas, and I want to say I was able to get about 29.8 gallons into it?
I had "12 miles left" when I pulled in to get gas. That's the most I've ever gotten into the tank!
I think one of the keys was, I was able to get a lot of highway miles at a good MPG - I believe the truck's computer calculator for safe "get to fuel" radius lets you get further into the tank, the better your "average" MPG is.

kenthelawnguy

Reaction score
lets not forget that the reserve is so you don't burn your fuel pump out as well. I would never run down past 0 miles. This is a common practice for most cars and trucks made today.

Users who are viewing this thread