5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

33 gallon tank on a 2019 question

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I filled up for just the third time yesterday...26.4 gallons with ~80 miles range left. I averaged 16 MPG, suggesting I had room for 5 more gallons in the tank. Seems about right!

(Incidentally, my truck is the heaviest - i.e. smallest payload - that I've seen on this forum, per the MPG thread. So I'm pleased that the mileage is creeping up. My current tank is looking like it might go over 17 MPG, mostly on the highway.)

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
At this juncture we really don't know how its suppose to work by design. I'm going to try to research this.

However, I've had the low fuel message come on three different times, at which the tank took 28, 29, and 26 gallons respectively. These fills appear to have a correlation to the actual gas mileage on the tank prior to filling. This makes me suspect that at the very least the computer is throwing up the low fuel message based on the average gas mileage of the current tank. The lower the average gas mileage, the sooner the computer will cause a low fuel message.

And one person has stated they got 32 gallons into the 33 gallon tank at fill-up.

Best regards,
Dusty

2019 Ram 1500 Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Now at: 005138 miles.

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Also, it disables the remote start if the low fuel light is on. That's ridiculous, 50 miles to empty and I can't remote start? Bad design.

Yes, I agree with you on that one. I'm sure dealers do too since almost no truck on the lot can demo remote start the way they keep them near empty.

ExcursionDiesel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Also, it disables the remote start if the low fuel light is on. That's ridiculous, 50 miles to empty and I can't remote start? Bad design.
Every vehicle I've had with remote start has done this. It keeps you from running it dry in the driveway although I doubt a 10 minute warmup will consume 50 miles of fuel. One thing is for sure, you'll have less range after a remote start than if you start and drive immediately. That's how engineers think.

RUBY75

Reaction score
Is it possible to add the 33 gallon tank to one with the smaller tank? Would be a nice mod since I didn’t have it installed from the factory.
Yeah it is possible, I checked on it because i want to do that on ,Limited. Summit racing has t'he OEtank for about 500 bucks

CouchAssault

Reaction score
Anyone ever get a resolution on this. My 2nd fill up yesterday I was suspect so I ran it down to 10 miles to E. The gauge on E as well and got 25.5 gallons in it.

A 7.5 gallon resrve is not right lol

19llhpb

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I filled up for just the third time yesterday...26.4 gallons with ~80 miles range left. I averaged 16 MPG, suggesting I had room for 5 more gallons in the tank. Seems about right!

(Incidentally, my truck is the heaviest - i.e. smallest payload - that I've seen on this forum, per the MPG thread. So I'm pleased that the mileage is creeping up. My current tank is looking like it might go over 17 MPG, mostly on the highway.)
Ditto, when I fill up the gallons I put in added to the gallons that remain as suggested by the ‘distance to empty’ are always close to 33 gal.

warvet

Reaction score
Maybe I'm silly or something. I don't care that my light comes on, I fill up with 26-28 gallons on my 33 gallon tank. If I want to go the entire tank, I can ignore the "E" and watch the 'miles to empty' and just keep driving. I like that lil peace of mind because when my "E" comes on, I know I don't have to rush to the nearest station.

I was driving back from Miami once and my light came on (another vehicle). I started sweating bullets because there were no exits for miles..........then I took the first exit and had to drive miles into some small town to find a station. If it were my Ram, I would have felt a bit easier with that larger reserve.

Guess its just me ............doesn't bother me

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Anyone ever get a resolution on this. My 2nd fill up yesterday I was suspect so I ran it down to 10 miles to E. The gauge on E as well and got 25.5 gallons in it.

Resolution for what?
That’s how it designed. Nothing wrong with it, therefore nothing to “resolve”.

Maple

Reaction score

That sounds more like you have a 26 gallon tank, if you got it down to 10 miles left. Is there something stamped on the tank somewhere that has the capacity?

knightro84

Reaction score
Just drive your truck until it runs out of gas and then when you fill it up you'll know. You'd be surprised how long you can continue driving even once the miles to empty says 0.

Manufacturers add a lot of leeway in their miles to empty. I've never had a vehicle where if it said 10 miles to empty, that 10 miles later I ran out of gas. Most fuel tanks these days have internal fuel pumps and they need fuel in the tank to keep cool.

Hammer1

Reaction score
Kind of off topic but does anyone know if the 33 gallon tanks are now baffled? I don't feel that shove in my back when coming to a stop like I did in my 12.

CouchAssault

Reaction score
Resolution for what?
Drove mine down til the range was only 10 miles, the tank took 32 gallons.
Ditto, when I fill up the gallons I put in added to the gallons that remain as suggested by the ‘distance to empty’ are always close to 33 gal.
Resolution for what?

No, its not designed that way. there are multiple people in this thread who have said their numbers add up. Mine don't, neither do the OP's

That sounds more like you have a 26 gallon tank, if you got it down to 10 miles left. Is there something stamped on the tank somewhere that has the capacity?

thats what i was wondering. if anyone had found a part number for the 33 gallon tank that we can reference. If it is indeed a 33 gallon tank under there then it must just be a programming issue in the ecu.

Just drive your truck until it runs out of gas and then when you fill it up you'll know. You'd be surprised how long you can continue driving even once the miles to empty says 0.

Manufacturers add a lot of leeway in their miles to empty. I've never had a vehicle where if it said 10 miles to empty, that 10 miles later I ran out of gas. Most fuel tanks these days have internal fuel pumps and they need fuel in the tank to keep cool.

yea but doesn't a 120 mile reserve seem excessive? I think i'll throw a 5 gallon gas can in the bed and try driving 70 miles past when it tells me 0 miles to E next tank.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
No, its not designed that way. there are multiple people in this thread who have said their numbers add up. Mine don't, neither do the OP's

thats what i was wondering. if anyone had found a part number for the 33 gallon tank that we can reference. If it is indeed a 33 gallon tank under there then it must just be a programming issue in the ecu.

yea but doesn't a 120 mile reserve seem excessive? I think i'll throw a 5 gallon gas can in the bed and try driving 70 miles past when it tells me 0 miles to E next tank.
Nope, it does not.

A few weeks ago, on one of the tanks I was averaging 10 MPG, I I filled to with close to 27 gallons, and my range to empty at the time was displaying 60 miles, which equals 6 gallon left in the tank... so pretty much dead-on.

Let's say I was towing in the mountains and I am averaging 4 MPG. That would give me a 24 mile buffer. Too close for comfort. Do you not see their logic?

You guys are worrying way too much about things that are non-issues. Just my opinion.

CouchAssault

Reaction score
Nope, it does not.

A few weeks ago, on one of the tanks I was averaging 10 MPG, I I filled to with close to 27 gallons, and my range to empty at the time was displaying 60 miles, which equals 6 gallon left in the tank... so pretty much dead-on.

Let's say I was towing in the mountains and I am averaging 4 MPG. That would give me a 24 mile buffer. Too close for comfort. Do you not see their logic?

You guys are worrying way too much about things that are non-issues. Just my opinion.

My bad. I wasn't clear. My truck is supposed to have a 33 gallon but it's acting like a 26.

I tow 7klbs through the mountains a couple times a year so the 33 gallon tank was important to me

Gman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That's how engineers think.
And then you have how German engineers think. Empty meant "EMPTY". The Mercedes that I had before this truck would warn you at about 1/8 of a tank.

My 2003 Tahoe would warn of low fuel and I knew I still had 6 gallons left of the 26 total.

I drove my truck with a 33 gal tank until I started to get down to the red area (which isn't so easy to read at night with my aging eyes). Filled it up with 25.7 gallons. Now I know that when I get low in the white area of the gauge, I still have about 8 gallons left. I'll see how much is left when the light comes on at the next fill-up.

Last edited:

surfingcrna

Reaction score
And then you have how German engineers think. Empty meant "EMPTY". The Mercedes that I had before this truck would warn you at about 1/8 of a tank.

My 2003 Tahoe would warn of low fuel and I knew I still had 6 gallons left of the 26 total.

I drove my truck with a 33 gal tank until I started to get down to the red area (which isn't so easy to read at night with my aging eyes). Filled it up with 25.7 gallons. Know I know that when I get low in the white area of the gauge, I still have about 8 gallons left. I'll see how much is left when the light comes on at the next fill-up.
Ya I really don't get why empty doesn't mean empty. It's like setting your alarm clock 15 fast so you're never late. People will push past the light anyway if they want to. I would prefer no ambiguity so I know it's almost out.

offer8008

Reaction score
My 2019 ram 4x4 had 33 gal tank.
The first tank gas shows range around 515 miles.
Drove around 505 miles and "low miles" light turned on.
After fill up the tank(about 28 gal), it showed 618 miles.

RichT

Reaction score
as long as you can still start and drive the vehicle after it has reached 0 miles to drive, i could really care less about all the estimates and such.

if i run out of gas and get stranded, i want it to be because i do not have gas in the tank and not because the computer says i dont.

i don't need saving from my own stupidity. got it covered.

Users who are viewing this thread